Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC 2017

Options
  • 22-08-2016 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Anyone who previously sat the LC have any tips on how to achieve up to 450-500 points in the LC?
    I'm not smart, but I'm hardworking. If I'm hard working & determined, will it help at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

MelaninQ wrote: »
    Anyone who previously sat the LC have any tips on how to achieve up to 450-500 points in the LC?
    I'm not smart, but I'm hardworking. If I'm hard working & determined, will it help at all?

Hard work and determination is all you need. Ultimately the LC rewards hard workers as well as those "naturally" gifted (99% of the time anyway).

Put the work in during class and for homework, study often, don't wreck yourself. You'll do fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

1) Attend all classes
    2) Never put off work that you know you can fit in (don't say I'll do it next Monday)
    3) Try and find a course you want to do and this will give you motivation to work during the year when you're just not arsed. (The most motivated and hard working students have these moments too.)
    4) Set out a study plan
    5) EXAM PAPERS x10000000
    6) Take breaks
    7) Some people say that determination and hard work can get you anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MelaninQ

Hard work and determination is all you need. Ultimately the LC rewards hard workers as well as those "naturally" gifted (99% of the time anyway).

Put the work in during class and for homework, study often, don't wreck yourself. You'll do fine then.

That's a sign of relief.
    I'll most definitely put in the work! I'm even excited for this year for some reason? So i'm hopeful that all will go well.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

MelaninQ wrote: »
    I remember the year I did my Leaving, I had two really good friends in my year. One was super intelligent but super lazy, the other was average intelligence wise but had the work-rate of a horse on steroids. Guess who got more in the Leaving? If you work hard, you will succeed. Some tips though
    1. Listen to what your teacher is saying. They know the best way to get you those extra points, so the more you listen, the better
    2. Ask questions. If you don't understand something, just ask the teacher. They are there to help you understand and learn what is going on (trust me, doing Science with Education myself, we get it drilled into us to ask for questions constantly and make sure if a question is asked we spend a good bit of time answering it)
    3. Exam Papers. Doing exam papers is great, but it is useless if you don't see what they are looking for marking wise. Either see if a teacher will correct them for you (they may or may not, no harm in asking) or get the marking schemes online (Department of Education) after you have completed a whole exam paper. Also, try and answer everything without looking at a book/your notes, and then look at the book for anything you couldn't answer once you have answered everything you knew. Will give you an idea on what you need to brush up on.
    4. Study timetable. With 7-8 subjects to study for, getting your study timed right is key. Have a study timetable that you follow to ensure maximum efficency! Good at one subject? Give that less time than one you are struggling with, but you should be doing at least 1 hour of study per subject per week.
    5. Don't overwork yourself. This is something that is seen all the time. A person works too hard and burns themselves out. Make sure that one of the days in the weekend you take the whole day for yourself (until evening time). Lie in, go for a walk, go cinema, hang around with friends. You need to get the work-fun balance going (that will also stand you in good stead for college)
    6. Don't panic. Another big one. I know it's easy for me to say but the more relaxed you feel, the more you learn. If you are stressing while studying, less will go in. Have a cup of tea or a nice treat while studying, it will help calm you down.
    7. Don't study for more than 1 hour at a time. The perfect length of study is 30 minutes with a 10 minute break, but we know that near to exam time that goes out the window. But do not, under any circumstances, go more than a hour without a break. It will leave your brain fatigued and nothing will go in, so it is just wasting precious study time.

Best of luck, and I hope you get the course you want next year :)

daraghwal wrote: »
    1) Attend all classes
    2) Never put off work that you know you can fit in (don't say I'll do it next Monday)
    3) Try and find a course you want to do and this will give you motivation to work during the year when you're just not arsed. (The most motivated and hard working students have these moments too.)
    4) Set out a study plan
    5) EXAM PAPERS x10000000
    6) Take breaks
    7) Some people say that determination and hard work can get you anywhere.

I have a course in mind. It's 430 in the IT, but in other uni's it's from 485. So I'm definitely aiming at least up to 500.
    My study plan made since July, the excitement was real.
    I have a serious obsession with exam papers, so that'll be grand lol.
    I'll probably go on runs or even walks on Sundays. I made that my chill day.
    And I hope it does tbh. I really hope that I can prove to myself that I don't have to be the smartest to achieve high results.

I literally cannot thank you enough for your advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I remember the year I did my Leaving, I had two really good friends in my year. One was super intelligent but super lazy, the other was average intelligence wise but had the work-rate of a horse on steroids. Guess who got more in the Leaving? If you work hard, you will succeed. Some tips though
    1. Listen to what your teacher is saying. They know the best way to get you those extra points, so the more you listen, the better
    2. Ask questions. If you don't understand something, just ask the teacher. They are there to help you understand and learn what is going on (trust me, doing Science with Education myself, we get it drilled into us to ask for questions constantly and make sure if a question is asked we spend a good bit of time answering it)
    3. Exam Papers. Doing exam papers is great, but it is useless if you don't see what they are looking for marking wise. Either see if a teacher will correct them for you (they may or may not, no harm in asking) or get the marking schemes online (Department of Education) after you have completed a whole exam paper. Also, try and answer everything without looking at a book/your notes, and then look at the book for anything you couldn't answer once you have answered everything you knew. Will give you an idea on what you need to brush up on.
    4. Study timetable. With 7-8 subjects to study for, getting your study timed right is key. Have a study timetable that you follow to ensure maximum efficency! Good at one subject? Give that less time than one you are struggling with, but you should be doing at least 1 hour of study per subject per week.
    5. Don't overwork yourself. This is something that is seen all the time. A person works too hard and burns themselves out. Make sure that one of the days in the weekend you take the whole day for yourself (until evening time). Lie in, go for a walk, go cinema, hang around with friends. You need to get the work-fun balance going (that will also stand you in good stead for college)
    6. Don't panic. Another big one. I know it's easy for me to say but the more relaxed you feel, the more you learn. If you are stressing while studying, less will go in. Have a cup of tea or a nice treat while studying, it will help calm you down.
    7. Don't study for more than 1 hour at a time. The perfect length of study is 30 minutes with a 10 minute break, but we know that near to exam time that goes out the window. But do not, under any circumstances, go more than a hour without a break. It will leave your brain fatigued and nothing will go in, so it is just wasting precious study time.

Great advice, but I disagree with that one point. Especially with a subject like maths, sometimes it's unproductive to not study for a longer stretch of 2-3 hrs. I think people underestimate how much work they're capable of.

Good luck!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Such great advice! I'm so thankful rn!
    These advice's are really motivating me now to do the best that I can do.
    I love how I'm getting advice from people who have previously experienced the lc. It makes things so much easier to follow.
    I'll definitely be taking all the advice's on this.
    Thanks so much. Really means a lot.
    I really do hope that I get the course that I want. I really hope so.

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Great advice, but I disagree with that one point. Especially with a subject like maths, sometimes it's unproductive to not study for a longer stretch of 2-3 hrs. I think people underestimate how much work they're capable of.

Good luck!

Yeah true. I start maths grinds every monday from the middle of September, so it'll add more hours to what I'm going to be studying as well.
    Thanks so much !!x

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TSMGUY wrote: »

Good luck!
    I think he means without a break, TSM.

40-50 minutes, take a 10 minute break, walk around, get some air (if the farking Irish weather allows!), come back to it ....

Advertisement