Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private game in after hours

Options
  • 22-08-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Why isn't this in the rpg forum or gaming. Seems like it's only allow because an mod came up with the idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Query - Moved to Help Desk.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know about a mod coming up with the idea, but on the whole it does seem to go against the boards policy of anyone can post in any thread (unless they are banned). I don't suppose I could drop into the game and ask how it works, why it seems so tedious and its not fair I want to play. I don't - see previous two points.

On the other hand I could just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Absolutely, anyone can post in any thread, in AH at least.

This is likely my fault, I had no idea what the game was about and thought it was an all inclusive thing and tbh I knew not a lot more.

I did say to the lad that started it that there was no way a thread would run in AH, or likely anywhere on boards, that only specific posters could post in. I'll dig out the post, it was in the thread over the weekend.

This is being discussed by the AH mods with regards to what they're/we're going to do with the thread.

Again, hands up, my fault. I should have paid attention to what was happening.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am glad you said that Kersplat.

My understanding was that a general chit chat thread was never allowed and never would be in AHs incase in formed clicks and inclusion.

But this is what this thread is verging on, as only certain members have been invited to post. How were they even chosen, and who authorised it, and if it has been realised to be a mistake, why has it not already been closed due to a review.

The lovely ladies thread was shut for a couple of hrs last night within a few posts as the mod thought it was a p!ss take, yet this has stayed open.

Personal thought, thread goes against the spirit of AHs, and should be closed and moved to a private forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I posted in it and was told to GTFO. A private thread in a public forum? Come on lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

smash wrote: »
    I posted in it and was told to GTFO. A private thread in a public forum? Come on lads...

Ok, that's something I am deeply uncomfortable with.

Though I see the poster who told you to GTFO has received an infraction.

I don't have the full facts to hand, but if people are being told not to post in an AH thread, then I do have an issue with that. Before anyone passes judgement, I'll see what I can find out before commenting further.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

I don't have the full facts to hand, but if people are being told not to post in an AH thread, then I do have an issue with that. Before anyone passes judgement, I'll see what I can find out before commenting further.

The thread creator is also ordering people not to edit their posts. It's all a bit Bizzare. How did it even start?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Surely if chat threads aren't allowed, 'games' that only include certain posters shouldn't be allowed? I don't know why it's in AH, seems an odd fit.

The thread creator is also ordering people not to edit their posts. It's all a bit Bizzare. How did it even start?

Just a minor point: your posts won't appear here until I or somebody else approves them, so don't panic if you don't see your post appear immediately.

I'm engaging with the AH mods at the moment.

I can't help but feel that this is one of those things that sounded great at the start, with the best of intentions, but has veered off course and needs to be brought back.

Leave it with me.

• Advertisement

Just a minor point: your posts won't appear here until I or somebody else approves them, so don't panic if you don't see your post appear immediately.

Yea, posting on the touch site gives a 404 error.

My point on inclusion and creating a click. Which I have also covered in my report on the thread earlier today.

Yea, posting on the touch site gives a 404 error.

Seriously? FFS.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    My point on inclusion and creating a click. Which I have also covered in my report on the thread earlier today.

Yeah, got that. Not meaning to be facetious, nor a grammar Nazi, but I think you mean clique (not click). Had me very confused there for a moment, especially with the 404 error above. :o

I'm engaging with the AH mods at the moment.

I can't help but feel that this is one of those things that sounded great at the start, with the best of intentions, but has veered off course and needs to be brought back.

Leave it with me.

That explains the error code earlier on my phone.

Seriously? FFS.

Yep. maybe one of the dev team can take it from here rather than having to go and report a bug. It's probably to do with pre-moderated threads.

Seriously? FFS.

Yeah, got that. Not meaning to be facetious, nor a grammar Nazi, but I think you mean clique (not click). Had me very confused there for a moment, especially with the 404 error above. :o

Thats the word.

Has anyone found out how it came to pass that a selection of posters were hand picked to play in the game? I understand that cliques can form in a private forum but if that's the case then why did it spill on to AH?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yep. maybe one of the dev team can take it from here rather than having to go and report a bug. It's probably to do with pre-moderated threads.

A long term known issue. It attempts to automatically forward to the new post, despite it being unapproved, and returns a misleading 404 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Has anyone found out how it came to pass that a selection of posters were hand picked to play in the game? I understand that cliques can form in a private forum but if that's the case then why did it spill on to AH?

Fairly sure it was the first 21 posters who replied, it definitely wasn't a clique. So it was in effect open to everyone.

Fairly sure it was the first 21 posters who replied, it definitely wasn't a clique. So it was in effect open to everyone.
    And subsequently closed to everyone under instruction from OP!

Maybe we should all just start posting in there :pac:

• Advertisement

Replied to what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There was a thread, werewolf/mafia game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Absolutely, anyone can post in any thread, in AH at least.

This is likely my fault, I had no idea what the game was about and thought it was an all inclusive thing and tbh I knew not a lot more.

I did say to the lad that started it that there was no way a thread would run in AH, or likely anywhere on boards, that only specific posters could post in. I'll dig out the post, it was in the thread over the weekend.

This is being discussed by the AH mods with regards to what they're/we're going to do with the thread.

Again, hands up, my fault. I should have paid attention to what was happening.

Cheers

It's a short thread but in case it was missed, see above for reasons why it went ahead.

There was no-one handed picked. I didn't understand the game or how it was played.

I posted on thread and told the OP that no one would be stopped from posting in the thread.

When it was discovered what and how the game worked it was discussed by mods. Today, as far as I'm aware, the thread was moved to a more suitable location.

Again, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And subsequently closed to everyone under instruction from OP!

There has to be a cutoff point for the game, whether its 21 players or 51 players. Clearly people can't just join in halfway through.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Replied to what?

Replied to the initial signup thread.

Anyway it appears to have moved to some forsaken corner of boards now, c'est la vie.
    Could have let the first one run through in AH, get people interested in the concept and then had future games in a different forum. That'd be too forward thinking obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Whats the official word about non player posting? I assume it's OK for anyone to post but a bit of a dick move?

There has to be a cutoff point for the game, whether its 21 players or 51 players. Clearly people can't just join in halfway through.

The point is that it's a closed thread in an open forum so it's not inclusive which in turn causes a divide, creates cliques and alienates posters. Threads like this damage a community feel. And now even though it's been moved there's new comments on the thread stating that they can move on without posters who aren't involved being dicks. This backs up the issues with these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There was a sign up thread, where anyone could play. We struggled to get the 21 people needed. Now this round is full (btw plenty of mods also play, the rules are in the first page) People come along with the intention of derailing it because they missed the sign up.

Fine leave us somewhere else or create a new forum for this type of activity.

Frankly, it is a bit of harmless fun, but the posts here from certain people are completely bang out of order about it been a private click, etc.

There was a sign up thread, where anyone could play. We struggled to get the 21 people needed. Now this round is full (btw plenty of mods also play, the rules are in the first page) People come along with the intention of derailing it because they missed the sign up.
    Nobody is complaining that they missed a sign up. People are saying that the thread should have been moved or started somewhere private if it was to be private as AH is a forum for private games.

Frankly, it is a bit of harmless fun, but the posts here from certain people are completely bang out of order about it been *being a private click, etc.
    Maybe you could explain where people have been bang out of order?

Whats the official word about non player posting? I assume it's OK for anyone to post but a bit of a dick move?

The official word is that in After Hours, no one user can dictate to other users what they can and cannot do in a thread. That's what we call backseat moderation.

However, it's not as black and white as this. The OP started something, it gained momentum and it was realized that AH was not the place for it, hence why I moved it to the new forum. I will be working with Jayop (and anyone else who is interested) to see what options we have, going forward. :pac:

• Advertisement

Frankly, it is a bit of harmless fun, but the posts here from certain people are completely bang out of order about it been a private click, etc.

I dont overly care about the thread my self, but its not about derailing it. AHs is a public forum. To tell people they cant post in the thread to an extent, makes its private, and is back seat moderatio , and when only 20 odd people can post in it, it can create a click, and could over spill into threads, making others feel excluded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement