Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

• 22-08-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi guys. Was wondering if you could provide me with a little bit of perspective on this dilemma. Long story short, recently started seeing this Australian guy, met in Ireland when he was on a trip. He has since returned back to Oz, but we are determined to try make it work. Obviously something has to give though.

Basically i am not in a position to just up and leave and go to him ( believe me i would be gone in a heartbeat if i could)!!! I spent 2 years travelling which included a few months in Oz, and returned January 2015. I am settled back into work, and purchased a car under PCP so cant exactly just abandon that. He said he will consider coming over here, but he too has things he is tied up in over there , but should be able to work them out.

He said he is considering coming in January if he can. I have been trying to do some research for him and help him with the info he needs. I know he can get a WHA for 12 months, but does he apply for single entry or multiple? He then needs to apply with the GNIB when he gets here and then look for work. All seems pretty straight forward but yet i'm stressing out big time over it. Basically my main fears are how easy he will find work, as he can only stay 6 months in one position, most employers probably wont even entertain him( hes currently working in sales in a car dealership)! With it being January aswell, the weather will inevitably be(lets face it) crap and depressing and he may regret his decision. Also as i am currently renting with 3 housemates i would need to look for somewhere else to rent and at the moment, rental places are hard come by, especially for couples.

I know that i seem full of doubts, i do really want to be with him, i would just love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer any advice. Thanks for reading and apologises for the rambling post!

Amy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 fireybabey

Hi Amy I was in a similar position 8 years ago. My partner was from New Zealand and we met while travelling around OZ. He moved to Ireland in 2008 just as the recession hit and it was pretty crappy finding a job but we got through it. It was hard at the start and there is a lot of pressure on your side as he is making a big effort to uproot his life. It really does depend on how much you are willing to accept the hard times and try not to stress too much.
    I remember I was so nervous as I had never lived with this guy before and we were apart for 6 months before he moved. 8 years later and we are happily married and planning a big move to Ireland again after 7 years in New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

fireybabey wrote: »
    Hi Amy I was in a similar position 8 years ago. My partner was from New Zealand and we met while travelling around OZ. He moved to Ireland in 2008 just as the recession hit and it was pretty crappy finding a job but we got through it. It was hard at the start and there is a lot of pressure on your side as he is making a big effort to uproot his life. It really does depend on how much you are willing to accept the hard times and try not to stress too much.
    I remember I was so nervous as I had never lived with this guy before and we were apart for 6 months before he moved. 8 years later and we are happily married and planning a big move to Ireland again after 7 years in New Zealand.

Thanks so much for your reply fireybabey.

Well i spoke with him on the phone today and i think we are starting to form some what of a plan. He had intended on buying a house before he made his trip to Ireland (hence him being tied up over there) so he is going to see that through now and then he is going to rent it out when he comes over here. He would like to have something to go back to if things go tits up here, my words, not his ;-) !!

He is now aiming for the springtime in Ireland which i personally think is a better time to arrive than the depths of winter. I am going to (hopefully) take a trip out there in January for a couple of weeks if i can save the cash in the meantime.

Your story is pretty cool by the way, I too travelled out to NZ for 1.5 years with my sister, she met a Kiwi guy and they are still together 3 years later, i am hoping that some day she will return to Ireland with him, even though NZ will be extremely hard to leave behind. Such an amazing country.

Thanks again and all the best with your move!!! :-)

Advertisement