Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No CAO offers- mistake when applying

Options
  • 22-08-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I made a mistake when applying for CAO courses. I applied for over 5 courses in LIT that I thought accept foundation level maths, but today I found out they do not. I could have sworn I seen it written that they do.
    I didn't get any cao offers today because of my mistake in applying for courses that require ordinary level maths. I got 2 higher level C's, an A in ordinary business, and 3 ordinary B'S, and a B3 in F maths.
    I feel like my whole leaving cert if completely useless now. Are there any options available to me? Can I use the direct entry route to apply for courses that DO accept F maths in the LIT?

The clerk whom I called at the LIT today was extremely rude to me, she said "How can you expect to study business with foundation level maths", in a very condescending tone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Some Limerick IT courses accept Foundation Maths, but apart from Culinary and Art courses you need a B2, not a B3. It'd definitely be worth getting your script rechecked or at the very least viewing it, in case you could be upgraded to a B2. Otherwise, you could try repeating Maths (either at foundation level, or if you feel capable ordinary level) or doing a PLC course at a further education college, most of which don't need maths at all, which would allow you to enter a degree/certificate course at an IT or even a University. You could also look into other Institutes of Technology, such as IT Tralee, Athlone IT, Carlow IT, Waterford IT, Galway-Mayo IT and Cork IT (I'm not sure exactly where you're from, but some of those may be near to hand) which may or may not accept a B3 in Foundation Maths for some of their courses. Some of these may have Vacant Places (places which can't be filled because not enough people applied/accepted an offer for the course) on the CAO website which I believe you can apply to once you meet minimum entry requirements regardless of your points.

There's no excuse for the clerk being so rude if she in fact was, I guarantee that when she was in school there was a subject with which she struggled, perhaps Maths or perhaps something else - nobody is good at everything, but equally nobody is good at nothing.

B2 needed:
    LC256 Construction Practice
    LC276 Video and Sound Technology
    LC402 Social Care Work (Thurles)
    LC295 Business Studies with Sports Management
    LC293 Business Studies with Travel & Tourism Management
    LC294 Business Studies with Event Management
    LC270 Music Technology & Production
    LC292 Social Care Work (Limerick)
    LC228 Sports Coaching & Development
    LC296 Front Office Management

B3 needed:
    LC298 Culinary Arts
    LC299 Hospitality Studies

No Maths needed:
    LC110 Art & Design
    LC111 Design - Fashion Knitwear and Textiles
    LC114 Design - Fashion Knitwear and Textiles

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Have a look at the available places list on www.cao.ie from 12 noon today. There are some courses that do not require Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I made a mistake when applying for CAO courses. I applied for over 5 courses in LIT that I thought accept foundation level maths, but today I found out they do not. I could have sworn I seen it written that they do.
    I didn't get any cao offers today because of my mistake in applying for courses that require ordinary level maths. I got 2 higher level C's, an A in ordinary business, and 3 ordinary B'S, and a B3 in F maths.
    I feel like my whole leaving cert if completely useless now. Are there any options available to me? Can I use the direct entry route to apply for courses that DO accept F maths in the LIT?

The clerk whom I called at the LIT today was extremely rude to me, she said "How can you expect to study business with foundation level maths", in a very condescending tone.

I seen in the media that certain colleges were offering maths tests.

https://galwaymathsgrinds.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/special-maths-entrance-exam-details-for-third-level-colleges/

You'll have to enquire if LIT can do the same

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I seen in the media that certain colleges were offering maths tests.

https://galwaymathsgrinds.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/special-maths-entrance-exam-details-for-third-level-colleges/

You'll have to enquire if LIT can do the same

I wouldn't think these would be suitable for somebody who sat Foundation Level maths. They're mainly for engineering students as a "second chance" if they don't get the necessary grade in the Leaving Cert - they're going to be at least bordering on Higher Level standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 muslimahkar

danm14 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think these would be suitable for somebody who sat Foundation Level maths. They're mainly for engineering students as a "second chance" if they don't get the necessary grade in the Leaving Cert - they're going to be at least bordering on Higher Level standard.

Very rude. I'm as intelligent if not more than those who take higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Why didnt you take higher maths so? I didnt see anything rude in that post FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'd imagine if you got into stuff into the degree such as investment appraisal, risk & fx transactions that a slightly higher standard of mathematical skill might be required.

No offence intended. It's an incredibly reasonable assumption that somebody who sat Foundation Level maths has great difficulty with maths - that's what Foundation Level is for. Almost nobody who could pass Ordinary Level would choose to sit the Foundation Level paper, as they'd be locking themselves out of practically every college course in the country, and quite a lot of jobs also.

You may indeed be intelligent, but it would be incredibly unlikely, bordering on impossible in fact, for someone who got a B3 in Foundation Level maths to get a passing grade in an exam equivalent to Higher Level maths two months later. The Foundation Level course doesn't even touch on the majority of the Higher Level course.

Being good at maths does not necessarily equal intelligence, and intelligence does not necessarily equal being good at maths.

Advertisement