Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education Theory Reading Recommendations

• 22-08-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Coming into my 4th year of teaching in a few weeks. Qualified in Ireland, working in the UK.

Has anybody some reading recommendations for me?

I haven't done much 'serious' reading since my degree so don't really want to read around any specific area just yet.

Any general reading recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dewey, Vygotski and Piaget are always a good read for educators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

John hattie has some interesting stuff too if you want to move away from philosophy and psychology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Freire!

[Runs and hides]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

All things I studied in Uni - anything new or funky??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

SarahBeep! wrote: »

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pasi Sahlberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Focus on something that interests you, assessment for example.

New and funky you'll find in journal articles over books.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

SarahBeep! wrote: »

What do you teach? I'm reading a book called The Labguage Teacher Toolkit right now by Steve Smith and Gianfranco Conti. They go through the theory of teaching reading, writing, listening skills etc. and give some good ideas at the end of each chapter. Useful ideas for pretty much every language, not just languages. Gianfranco has a good blog as well if you don't want to get the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dory wrote: »
    What do you teach? I'm reading a book called The Labguage Teacher Toolkit right now by Steve Smith and Gianfranco Conti. They go through the theory of teaching reading, writing, listening skills etc. and give some good ideas at the end of each chapter. Useful ideas for pretty much every language, not just languages. Gianfranco has a good blog as well if you don't want to get the book.

Is this good Dory? I'm after doing a search and the reviews are good but is it useful? Are there activities you can use successfully in the classroom? I bought a book when I trained for games in the MFL classroom - never used it - just unworkable (for me anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

D.T Willingham's Why students don't like school.
    Daisy Christodoulou's 7 Myths about Education
    Dylan Williams' Embedded Formative Assessment

Start with those if you really want to improve your teaching pragmatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Is this good Dory? I'm after doing a search and the reviews are good but is it useful? Are there activities you can use successfully in the classroom? I bought a book when I trained for games in the MFL classroom - never used it - just unworkable (for me anyway).

Yea I found it good. Like for the listening, I teach Irish and we have to spend time doing aural. For a lot of my students I've always felt it was a waste of time, they didn't get any answers and just sat there for 40 minutes. This book acknowledges that it's a waste for many students and give ideas for what you can do - listen over a lot of times, give the a print out of what they're listening to and have them follow along etc. I'd say 50% of it is useful for me, but that's good enough as I can't find anything else. You can read their blog first to see if you like their kind of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

dory wrote: »
    Yea I found it good. Like for the listening, I teach Irish and we have to spend time doing aural. For a lot of my students I've always felt it was a waste of time, they didn't get any answers and just sat there for 40 minutes. This book acknowledges that it's a waste for many students and give ideas for what you can do - listen over a lot of times, give the a print out of what they're listening to and have them follow along etc. I'd say 50% of it is useful for me, but that's good enough as I can't find anything else. You can read their blog first to see if you like their kind of ideas.

I had an inservice that did the same thing - get students to run finger over the words as they hear them. Do it again looking for the answer. They also gave us the idea of cutting out the transcript into pieces, giving each student a piece, playing the cd and getting the students to get into line in order of what they hear - I had fifth years last class on a Friday evening and this worked well. I didn't recognise the authors name until I looked at the book on Amazon - have used Steve Smiths material and it's excellent, so I ordered the book :) Thanks Dory.

Advertisement