Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Galvins Dunnes gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

''I'm doing a collection about the Bedouins and brotherhood soon''
    :eek:

He'll have to buy a camel, some tea towels and a Tupac CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He'll have to buy a camel, some tea towels and a Tupac CD.

I could actually imagine him wearing something like this.....

Bedouin-Palmyra.jpg

Jobs OXO wrote: »

The 'Sri Lankan navy' story is like something Derek Zoolander would regale us with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They must be selling and sure that's all that matter I suppose. I don't begrudge him making money on it.

But thanks for the update on the new collection. I've had a good laugh and it has cheered me up on a bad day. Sure there's lots of "style" out there I don't get but nothing that screams FAIL so much to me. I love it. Fair play to him.

I usually find him so unlikable but actually his account of the duster incident really rings true to me and so admire him for realising he needed to find a new direction. Looking forward to the bedouin collection.

I had totally misjudged him. I had him down as a rugged no-nonsense, strong silent type. He comes across in that article as a vacuous airhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I opened this thread with a sense of dread as my GF has been encouraging me to buy some of his things, I'm deeply glad I had the sense to restrict it to a couple of t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I couldn't get through the whole article. I needed some kind of mind altering drug to carry on.

Have to say, as a Kerryman, enjoyed seeing Paul redefine the role of the half forward in football, he was some player. Loved seeing him run Cork ragged, even as his career declined the sight of him striding out and packs of Cork players hunting him down, he could turn a game around. Galvin and Brian Dooher changed the game in the 00s in a way that more gifted players like Cooper couldn't, they made half forwards into the tracking back hard tackling types we see today.

But now, he just looks and sounds like a gob****e.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I opened this thread with a sense of dread as my GF has been encouraging me to buy some of his things, I'm deeply glad I had the sense to restrict it to a couple of t-shirts.

Well if she encourages you to buy his Bedouin inspired range when it comes out, it may be time to go to the shops for that packet of cigarettes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Have to say, as a Kerryman, enjoyed seeing Paul redefine the role of the half forward in football, he was some player. Loved seeing him run Cork ragged, even as his career declined the sight of him striding out and packs of Cork players hunting him down, he could turn a game around. Galvin and Brian Dooher changed the game in the 00s in a way that more gifted players like Cooper couldn't, they made half forwards into the tracking back hard tackling types we see today.

But now, he just looks and sounds like a gob****e.

Yeah he'd have been a legend if he just faded away into the background after his playing career!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

I love this thread!

nkav86 wrote: »
    I love this thread!

No need to lurk in the ladies lounge anymore.

Paul-Galvin-381x585.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd say none of you would slag him to his face though . :)

I wouldn't buy his clobber. It's aimed at young fellas I'd say but I still wouldn't buy it if I was a young fella.

I neither like nor dislike him but it's a typical Irish/small town thing to slag a guy off just because he's a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

He deserves some credit for breaking away from the usually rather conservative image I have of gaa players.

seachto7 wrote: »

I wouldn't buy his clobber. It's aimed at young fellas I'd say but I still wouldn't buy it if I was a young fella.

I neither like nor dislike him but it's a typical Irish/small town thing to slag a guy off just because he's a bit different.

Yeah, that's what's happening here.

Ironically, "you wouldn't say it to his face" is a classic small town-ism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

No need to lurk in the ladies lounge anymore.

Oh, I'm gay, so definitely not lurking for that lol

Yeah, that's what's happening here.

Ironically, "you wouldn't say it to his face" is a classic small town-ism

And it's different in the big smoke is it? Nope.

And it's different in the big smoke is it? Nope.

You're right, it's not. That's why you labelling anyone who criticises him as 'small-town' confused me.

Very good friends of mine have told him they'd kill/bury him, to his face. And punched and kicked him, and taken punches and kicks.

I should explain. That was in the context of club games in Kerry. Afterwards, they shook hands with one of the great players of the 00s and left it all on the pitch.

• Advertisement

What an odd sentiment in a thread like this.

People are slagging the style/fashion of someone who has released a clothing collection accompanied by silly comments on his inspiration and influences. No different than criticising bad pop singer or crap writer. If it was slagging a random GAA lad's outfit for a night on the town you might have a point.

As for saying it to his face - why would anyone who thinks his collection is crap say it to his face under normal circumstances? It wouldn't be brave or honest or saying it like it is - it would just be rude. No more than I'd shout at Niall Horan to tell him I think he's talentless, or Cecelia Aherne to tell her her books are sh1t.

But if the implication of your comment is that people would be afraid to slag to his face - then that's just silly. It's not like Galvin is some renowned hard man. If people are the type to slag people to their face about their clothes or talent, I doubt they'd be deterred from slagging this lad. I did actually see him get a slagging walking through the city once - he laughed it off in fairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's not like Galvin is some renowned hard man.

He'd be a hardy enough buck I think, the same Paul.

A few years back he was out in Killarney in Tatlers and he and some other Kerry players approached a group of attractive women. Paul was rebuffed. Anyway, the drink flowed and later the object of his affection went back to him, assuming the invite still stood. And he smiled at her and said..."listen love, you only get one chance with Paul Galvin" and walked off on her.

He'd be a hardy enough buck I think, the same Paul.

I'm sure he can handle himself. But are you suggesting he would be a physical threat to someone telling him his skinny jeans don't suit him or that his Dunnes collection is pretentious crap?! I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I don't understand his crotch in this picture. It makes no sense.

Socks stuffed down his pants???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

This is the funniest thread I've seen in ages...Bedouin collection next....hilarious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

He might look a lot better if he shaved off the stupid beard.It's hideous.

He might look a lot better if he shaved off the stupid beard.It's hideous.

He does kinda look like a drunkard getting out of a pub in the early hours, dazed, bits of food stuck in his beard...

You have to admire him, even if you dislike his clothes.

He played the sport he loved and got to the highest level. Now he is making a very good living doing something that he loves too.

And he did it with hard graft and a large spoon of not giving a crap.

Fair play in fairness.

I'm sure he can handle himself. But are you suggesting he would be a physical threat to someone telling him his skinny jeans don't suit him or that his Dunnes collection is pretentious crap?! I doubt it.

I'd say Oliver Callan would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He played the sport he loved and got to the highest level. Now he is making a very good living doing something that he loves too.

Fair play in fairness.

No he is a sh1tkicker who used his "fame" to sell **** clothes rather than using his GAA face for selling tractors for de bank

• Advertisement

Fair play in fairness.

Ah yeah, that's not up for debate.

Its his clothing tastes and cod-philosophy that are funny

No he is a sh1tkicker who used his "fame" to sell **** clothes rather than using his GAA face for selling tractors for de bank

This post shows nothing but your own prejudice. Such a narrow mind will prevent you from being happy as he is.

He didn't hit Callan hard enough. By all accounts Callan was in a group that started by winding him up, and then started getting a bit more hands on. When he reacted they got all weepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you view the individual items of his collection.
    A lot are very plain simple things that would be easy enough to sell.
    1215118_brown.jpg

1215119_brown.jpg

1210116_brown.jpg

1211122_stripe.jpg

1218110_wine.jpg

1216110_tan.jpg
    1215122_check.jpg

1212156_oatmeal.jpg

1210110_grey.jpg

1212143_white.jpg

1212153_grey.jpg

1214152_green.jpg

1211123_oatmeal.jpg

1211124_white.jpg

1215117_brown.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe the clothes only look ridiculous on Paul Galvin himself - there'd be a delicious irony in that, which might help explain the permanently haunted look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There appears to be open season on Paul Galvin, and his fashion range, in this thread. His range isn't the type of thing I'd wear myself personally, partly due to its styling, but mostly because I'd never ever dream of buying clothes in a place like Dunnes Stores. 

However, he does appear to put some thought into his styling and appearance. This is in very stark contrast to the majority of Irishmen; a proportion of whom I imagine are the ones here taking shots at him from behind their keyboard. The €10 back and sides haircut brigade. The ones who appear to dress in the dark, using an 'off the peg' collection purchased in the final reductions area of TKMaxx or Guiney's. Bootcut jeans, striped shirts, hoodies, North Face or Superdry jackets.

While you may not follow his sartorial ethic, you should consider spending a little more time thinking about grooming, styling and presentation.

I think there's more to that than a random slagging. This is someone who was making a living ridiculing Galvin on the national airwaves. And apparently really acted the prick on the night. It reflects poorly on both of them tbh and if it really was just a mild slagging (as opposed to the reported provocation) then Galvin's an even bigger pretentious ass than suggested here. But I don't think the threat of a clout from a GAA player would deter the type who would randomly slag him to his face anyway. It'd probably only encourage them.

Threadbare AVB schtick....

Party's over.

There appears to be open season on Paul Galvin, and his fashion range, in this thread. His range isn't the type of thing I'd wear myself personally, partly due to its styling, but mostly because I'd never ever dream of buying clothes in a place like Dunnes Stores. 
    However, he does appear to put some thought into his styling and appearance. This is in very stark contrast to the majority of Irishmen; a proportion of whom I imagine are the ones here taking shots at him from behind their keyboard. The €10 back and sides haircut brigade. The ones who appear to dress in the dark, using an 'off the peg' collection purchased in the final reductions area of TKMaxx or Guiney's. Bootcut jeans, striped shirts, hoodies, North Face or Superdry jackets.
    While you may not follow his sartorial ethic, you should consider spending a little more time thinking about grooming, styling and presentation.

Imagine all you like. No better man for doing it.

Basically you think that certain Irish men look ridiculous and they think the exact same about you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Where I come from it is only a certain type of man that cares about their fashion...

Fashion conscious men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fantasy man strikes again. 3 out of 10 overall. Must troll harder.

I think there's more to that than a random slagging. This is someone who was making a living ridiculing Galvin on the national airwaves. And apparently really acted the prick on the night. It reflects poorly on both of them tbh and if it really was just a mild slagging (as opposed to the reported provocation) then Galvin's an even bigger pretentious ass than suggested here. But I don't think the threat of a clout from a GAA player would deter the type who would randomly slag him to his face anyway. It'd probably only encourage them.

He might hit you with a duster tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Galvin is a man who reached the very pinnacle of his sport. He was also a fine hurler, as an aside. He is now forging out a career as the name behind a fashion brand that must be selling, as it has been causing indignation on sites like this for a few years.

He's a year older than myself, and seems to be taking a lead in trying to get men his age to dress in a way that isn't the usual old thrown together ensemble that so many Irishmen feel is 'grand'. I have noticed that younger men in Ireland are taking pride in their appearance, and this must be commended. It doesn't take an inordinate amount of time, money, or effort, but will make an enormous difference to how you present yourself to the world. 

If you are in your 30's, and still wearing baggy jeans, music or computer game tshirts, hoodies etc, then you're doing yourself absolutely no favours. Smart casual means casual, but it also means smart. Grunge era 1993 isn't a good look for the modern gent.

Galvin is a man who reached the very pinnacle of his sport. He was also a fine hurler, as an aside. He is now forging out a career as the name behind a fashion brand that must be selling, as it has been causing indignation on sites like this for a few years.

He's a year older than myself, and seems to be taking a lead in trying to get men his age to dress in a way that isn't the usual old thrown together ensemble that so many Irishmen feel is 'grand'. I have noticed that younger men in Ireland are taking pride in their appearance, and this must be commended. It doesn't take an inordinate amount of time, money, or effort, but will make an enormous difference to how you present yourself to the world. 

If you are in your 30's, and still wearing baggy jeans, music or computer game tshirts, hoodies etc, then you're doing yourself absolutely no favours. Smart casual means casual, but it also means smart. Grunge era 1993 isn't a good look for the modern gent.

Here's a mad idea...let people wear what they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boring...Change the record...we've heard this one before. 2/10

If someone turned up in a flat cap and grandfather shirt sporting a beard to where you claim you work, the ninja squad you claim to be part of would have turfed him out on the spot for putting personal gratification over respect for client. If you work in the circles you claim to work, you'd know daytime attire means navy or black suits, and no one gives a hoot what you wear on your own time.

Absolute hogwash! The grunge era fashion was good enough for Chris Cornell and Dave Grohl and they are/weren't young fellas.
    The grunge look would be the perfect antidote to the rolled up pants, no socks current trend anyway...

Life's really too short for the level of preening that Paul Galvin and the like partake in. Seriously, I imagine the guy has got a make up bag, wears face masks, and spends at least two hours dolling himself up every morning.

• Advertisement

Here's a mad idea...let people wear what they like.

You should know if your a regular Boards user that Aongus dresses similar to a pensioner and if you dress any other way, your beneath him.

Advertisement