Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike licensce help!!!

• 23-08-2016 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am nearly 18 and I will be buying a motorbike in a few days (Honda nsr 80) but I'm confused about the licensce can I go straight and do my theory test for the A1 licensce or do I have to do the AM licensce first? Could anyone help me and figure this out thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do read the sticky. There's a lot there and a lot of variable but breeze through it and you can compile a shortlist of specific parts that you need clarification on :)
    Crazybiker wrote: »
    can I go straight and do my theory test for the A1 licensce or do I have to do the A licensce first? Could anyone help me and figure this out thanks

There is only one motorcycle theory test for all motorcycle categories - the 'AM' theory test (not to be confused with the AM licence category which is for scooters only). When you do the AM theory test now, you won't need to repeat it in the future for higher licences unless you give up motorcycling and and allow your motorcycle learner categories on your learner permit to expire for more than 5 years.

In order of power you have these four categories
    'AM' - 50cc mopeds only
    'A1' - slow/ small motorcycles and moped
    'A2' - medium speed/ sized motorcycles and smaller motorcycles and scooters and;
    'A' - all motorcycles

Once you turn 18, you can get the A2 learner category but you need to be 24 to go straight to category A. Once you get your theory test and your learner permit you will have to get IBT for the A2 category (which is what I and most people will advise you to do regardless of what bike you buy). In order to pass the A2 test, you will need to bring an A2 type bike but you can always hire an A2 bike from your instructor to take the test later if you've ended up buying an A1 bike.

If you pass the A2 test at age 18, you can use 'progressive access' after 2 years through further training with an instructor to graduate to category 'A' without having to take another driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Crazybiker

So basically I can go straight for the A1 licensce straight away without having to do the AM first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wait until you are 18 and go for the A2, you'd be mad to bother with the A1 at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KyleMurt15

You're actually not allowed go for the A1 straight away. The only age that automatically qualifies you for the A1 is 25. Anything before that you have to hold an A2 licence for two years which you can get straight away, the AM is only for scooters.

• Advertisement

KyleMurt15 wrote: »
    You're actually not allowed go for the A1 straight away. The only age that automatically qualifies you for the A1 is 25. Anything before that you have to hold an A2 licence for two years which you can get straight away, the AM is only for scooters.

that's not right.

Am is a grandfathered category. Max speed 45km/h. Age 16 minimum

A1, motorcycles up to 125cc less than 11kW. Age 16 minimum

A2 motorcycles less than 35kW, Age 18 minimum

A All motorcycles. Direct access age 24. 20 with Progressive access

That's all accurate but if this guy is getting a bike and going for A2 he's not gonna bother with getting an AM when the max he could really get is a GN125. BUt at his age he can't go straight for the A1, like you said progressive access.

That's all accurate but if this guy is getting a bike and going for A2 he's not gonna bother with getting an AM when the max he could really get is a GN125. BUt at his age he can't go straight for the A, like you said progressive access.

He should wait to be 18 and get the A2 license and aim to be on the A license by 20 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CJhaughey wrote: »

Maybe the mods could edit the first post - it still refers to the pre-2013 system.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Definitely wait until you're 18 and get the A2 category.

Thanks for all the help guys i will wait till im 18 (in 2 months) and go for the A2 but when i book my theory test how does it work when i pass it will i atomically just get a A2 license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Thanks for all the help guys i will wait till im 18 (in 2 months) and go for the A2 but when i book my theory test how does it work when i pass it will i atomically just get a A2 license

No, you've to then make an appointment at the NDLS centre to ask for an A2 learner, the theory test pass cert is one of the documents you need (as well as eye test and proof of ID/address).

So when i pass the theory test for a motorbike they will ask me if i want a A2 license or i can ask them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So when i pass the theory test for a motorbike they will ask me if i want a A2 license or i can ask them

The form will mention the licence categories area as 'For Office Use Only' but I suggest you mark the A2 category yourself. You may as well tick the A1 and AM category too but you don't have to and it makes no odds as long as you get the A2, that means you can ride A1 and AM bikes anyway. In any case, make it abundantly clear that you want the A2 category.

Thanks alot

Advertisement