Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Dublin to Dundalk

Options
  • 23-08-2016 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What's the route like to cycle from Dublin to Dundalk - and vice versa?

And does anyone know what trains think of bikes coming on during rush hour BUT going north bound - and then vice versa?

Any intel appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's the route like to cycle from Dublin to Dundalk - and vice versa?....
    I've done it many times on the R132 and it's fine and very flat. The only drag is north of Drogheda (Tullyeskar Hill). There is a hard shoulder most of the way except for a short section north of Dunleer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Good road most of the way, this was the old main Dublin Belfast road.
    The road surface is uncomfortable for a couple of miles north of Murtaghs Pubs of Ballough.
    Remember you'll be passing through Co. Meath for a bit, so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And does anyone know what trains think of bikes coming on during rush hour BUT going north bound - and then vice versa?

I tried to take a dart northbound one saturday morning at Clongriffin and was stopped by staff. I cycled north to Portmarnock and got on the dart. Changed trains at Malahide to a Commuter and had no problem taking the bike on. I probably wasn't allowed take it on but wasn't challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I tried to take a dart northbound one saturday morning at Clongriffin and was stopped by staff....
    Audax Ireland doing some undercover surveillance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

if you get the enterprise you can normally put a bike in the guards van.

• Advertisement
Advertisement