Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult Situation and Rights

Options
  • 23-08-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice regarding leaving my partner. Please move this post if I have put it in the wrong place.

I am in a very difficult situation and I feel I need to leave so as to protect my children however I have zero family left here and I have no friends I could feel I could ask for help so I'm stuck for advice.

If I leave my partner, where can I go? I have nowhere and will literally be walking on to the street. Can Social Welfare help with this and does it take long? Will they still help if I stay here in the meantime so as so to keep a roof over our heads? I would have no other choice I'm afraid.

I also have no access to money. I will not be able to give anyone a month's rent in advance or even a week for that matter.

We don't have a formal contract with our Landlord since the first year. I am afraid that I will still need to give notice to the Landlord though as we originally put both of our names on the contract. Again I have no money to compensate the Landlord for anything and I know my partner won't either so I'm afraid I will be liable to pay for any minor damages etc and I won't have it to give.

I would head to my local Social Welfare office for a chat but it would be a 90 minute round trip with two toddlers having to walk. I don't have anyone to mind them for a couple of hours and obviously I would be afraid to leave them with their father at this stage.

Also, we are not married or in a Civil Partnership.

Thanks so much if you can help advise me in any part of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP, I don't know what the ins and outs of the situation are for you, but would these help at all?

https://www.womensaid.ie/

http://www.safeireland.ie/domestic-violence-services/

Unfortunately you are in a tricky position, but my knowledge on this subject is limited, hopefully other people will be able to give you more suggestions. I feel that if you deal with Social welfare you may end up living in a hotel room or something. But as I said, I'm no expert on the subject, other than to suggest the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If there is a Family Resource centre in your area they may be able to advice you about local services. Their addresses are on the Tusla website.

Advertisement