Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenomena and Roebuck-Are they worth the money?

• 23-08-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello, I am questioning whether the extra space and the en-suite in [font=arial, sans-serif]Glenomena [/font]and Roebuck are worth 1500 over Merville and Belgrove. I'd like the en-suite and more room of course yet I'm wondering is the astronomical amount of money justifiable. Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

I lived in Glenomena only because I couldn't get Merville. I would definitely pick Merville over Belgrove but if you get on somewhat with your roommates, my friends who lived in merville found the sharing to be fine. Definitely wouldn't pay for Roebuck though, isn't it even more expensive than Glenomena? Its lovely and all but not worth it for me.
    So basically imo its Merville > glenomena > belgrove > roebuck
    ensuite is the only real advantage over merville so if that's important to you then go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 katiekilg

All the ensuite places only have wet rooms - not normal showers with a basin so they have a tendency to leak out into your carpet if you have long hair that blocks the drain or if you like long showers (so thats Roebuck Halls, Glenomena and Ashfield). Roebuck halls are the same price as Glenomena (8100) and they are much more modern and in much better condition - only because they're newer. Ashfield is new this year, same price as the Glen and Roebuck halls but you're guaranteed everything brand new and functional since we're the first year to use it. Belgrove and Merville are both 6700 but Merville is in better condition and is a bit more roomy - plus more facilities nearby since it's in the same complex as Glenomena. Belgrove is closer to the science buildings so a good option if you like a sleep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

Thanks katiekilg and alfaJack for your helpful advice. I'm assuming the new Ashfield residence is in the Merville, Roebuck and Glenomena area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

If you go for the "cheaper" options I'd recommend Merville over Belgrove. It's much more modern and has a much nicer kitchen/living room. From the next price range, Roebuck Halls is again more modern than Glenomena. I'm not sure about the new Ashfield residence but would assume since it's brand new that it would be even nicer than Roebuck.

As for whether Roebuck or Ashfield are worth the extra money that's down to you. I lived in Merville last year and never found one problem with having to share a toilet. The rooms are basically the same size in all the residences so it comes down to whether you want an ensuite or not. It might be no harm to get used to sharing toilets though as it's highly unlikely you'll have an ensuite the year after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Blue giant wrote: »
    If you go for the "cheaper" options I'd recommend Merville over Belgrove. It's much more modern and has a much nicer kitchen/living room. From the next price range, Roebuck Halls is again more modern than Glenomena. I'm not sure about the new Ashfield residence but would assume since it's brand new that it would be even nicer than Roebuck.

As for whether Roebuck or Ashfield are worth the extra money that's down to you. I lived in Merville last year and never found one problem with having to share a toilet. The rooms are basically the same size in all the residences so it comes down to whether you want an ensuite or not. It might be no harm to get used to sharing toilets though as it's highly unlikely you'll have an ensuite the year after.

thanks! and do you know about blackrock? Thats what im considering as it's the cheapest. i know it's 3km away from bellfield. how does it compare to merville interior wise do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

thanks! and do you know about blackrock? Thats what im considering as it's the cheapest. i know it's 3km away from bellfield. how does it compare to merville interior wise do you know?

It's very different. Unlike Merville it's not made up of apartments but rather it is more like dorms with long corridors with rooms on either side. It's very nice looking building however it feels very outdated. I'm not sure how many people you'd be sharing your kitchen/living room with but I think it would be more than the 3 in Merville. The distance from campus would make it much more hassle to get involved with clubs and socs. If you intend on getting buses to campus the 17 bus that goes to Blackrock is known to be extremely unreliable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thebooklover

I stayed in Blackrock Halls last year and the distance was really not a problem! I'd definitely encourage you to get a bike so that you can cycle in and out everyday, saves you so much time! Also the 17 bus is pretty unreliable but the 46a & 145 go down the stillorgan road, which is about 15-20min walk from halls so that's another option.
    As bluegiant said, the set-up is different to Merville/Roebuck etc. with dorm rooms instead of apartments. This means 1) there's a bomb more people to meet/talk to but 2) there's no five people "forced" to be in your company if that makes sense?
    Kitchens are altogether downstairs, divided into fourteen separate kitchens I think. There's about ten people per kitchen but you have the extra fridge and from my experience it was rarely full anyways. Best of luck wherever you go!

Advertisement