Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer

Options
  • 23-08-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

My computer tells me to press F1 to continue on start-up, why is this and how can I sort it. Thanks in anticipation, Sime.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hi,

What else does it say? Usually this message will be something like...

Warning - CPU fan error
    Warning - Case fan error
    Amount of memory has changed
    No Keyboard or Mouse detected

Etc.

The error message can often be disabled in the bios settings. It will still appear but it won't require you to press F1 to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

No keyboard detected, press F1 to continue... lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sjfoley

Hi,

What else does it say? Usually this message will be something like...

Warning - CPU fan error
    Warning - Case fan error
    Amount of memory has changed
    No Keyboard or Mouse detected

Etc.

The error message can often be disabled in the bios settings. It will still appear but it won't require you to press F1 to continue.
    Hi TerrorFirmer thanks for your reply. There's a lot of gobbely gook on there but the only bit that makes any sense to me is.-Floppy diskette seek failure,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Go into the bios (usually pressing a key such as F2, DEL etc. at startup) you'll usually see a message "press [key] to access setup". Within the bios navigate to "Restore default settings". There is a guide here you can review explaining this process.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If what YoYo above suggested doesn't work, try this.

Used to get the Diskette seek failure on a lot of old Win XP machines that didn't even have floppy drives. The problem was that the CMOS batteries were dead or dying. If it is a desktop you have, it's just a simple matter of replacing the battery. Most of them are CR2032 - can get 6 of them in Dealz for €1.50 (or if it's another type of battery, you'll be able to get one in a computer shop). If its a laptop, it's a little bit more fiddly to do but still easy enough.

What model/type of computer do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sjfoley

FanadMan wrote: »
    If what YoYo above suggested doesn't work, try this.

Used to get the Diskette seek failure on a lot of old Win XP machines that didn't even have floppy drives. The problem was that the CMOS batteries were dead or dying. If it is a desktop you have, it's just a simple matter of replacing the battery. Most of them are CR2032 - can get 6 of them in Dealz for €1.50 (or if it's another type of battery, you'll be able to get one in a computer shop). If its a laptop, it's a little bit more fiddly to do but still easy enough.

What model/type of computer do you have?
    Hi , thanks for your reply, My computer is a Dell desktop , about 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

sjfoley wrote:
    Hi , thanks for your reply, My computer is a Dell desktop , about 10 years old.

Well, if it's about 10 years old the battery will be well wrecked. It's a 5 minute job to replace it - plenty of videos on the procedure on YouTube.

Advertisement