Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Castelli Bib Shorts

Options
  • 23-08-2016 11:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of pairs of bib sorts/bib tights. 3 in total.

2 have developed holes on the chamois I believe through friction (which wasnt pleasant for me!). One pair unwarn.

Based on the Castelli size chart they are the correct size and having worn them I think they are as they should be.

Fairly pissed off as I have spent a decent amount on them. Castelli have said its as a result of chemical burns from washing but given this hasn't happened on any other gear I have I call bull****. Therefore no refund was offered for the first pair. The second pair just went this morning.

Any one else have similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Sorry I can't comment on the Castelli as I don't own any. But I do have a pair of Sportful shorts that have gone through a fair amount of wear and the thing that crumbled first was the stitching. The chamois shows no sign of wear. I think Sportful is there or thereabouts price wise so I would, as you, expect much better from the money spent.

As a side note, I had a new pair of bibs recently which started to develop bobbing of the lycra on the outside of the garment, just where my inner thigh was. Turned out the saddle bag was slowing chipping away at it (I never noticed any physical discomfort). Thanks to Doozerie for a recommendation of a saddlebag that hides away under the saddle with nothing to damage the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

The pad is the only redeeming feature on my Castelli Evoluzione bibs. The logos (the bit you're really paying for) starting peeling off after 2 washes (and yes, I'm super-careful how I wash them). The straps are like 2 bits of string that cut into your shoulders after a while and the overall quality was shabby.

The quality of my Galibier Energie bibs is far superior (and they are cheaper). I had a small issue with a previous pair and they sent new ones out the same day, no hassle and no quibble! Castelli would do well to note Galibier's customer care approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You didn't say how old they were or how soon after buying them the holes appeared.

I have eBay €17 bib shorts from China which are 4 years old and have been wore in excess of 100 times and washed after every spin and the pad is still firm and 100% intact with no signs of wear, the straps have frayed at the hems but they're still functional and comfortable to wear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

less than 6 months old with less than 2000km on them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For reference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

godtabh wrote: »
    less than 6 months old with less than 2000km on them

I have 4 year old Castelli shorts that are like new. No idea the Distance done but definitely more than 2000km.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For reference

Did you follow the care instructions from Castelli? 30C low spin, appropriate detergent etc?

I've had pissie curore for 3 seasons with at least 10k km on them and they are just worn, washed a lot of times.

If you wear white harrysbikes have xlg Assos mille s5 shorts for €50.

But get back control of your washing machine first...

@gadetra had a useful post or two previously on garment care

If it was an issue of garment control I would expect it to be on all my gear and not the castelli gear. The fact that is in the exact same spot on each pair is my issue (and the fact they wore away).

Also forgot to mention I have a pair of 3/4 lengths that are a year old and no issues. Same size. Forgot about them

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Very strange! Iv several Castellie bibs and other bits jerseys jackets etc, and always found them very good and long lasting iv yet to scrap any due to issues beyond my own fault, they are a premium product and I'd be expecting better than the results you got after 6 months!

On a side note I bought santini shorts recently for €80 and the quality of the pading and materials are excellent seems much better quality wise and trust me none of the castellie were in that price range, put €100 to the €80 maybe, and as a poster above said chinese stuff if you do your homework and buy from sellers with good feedback you be sound, Jersey for €10! Long-sleeved for €15 i got a long leg bibs and long sleeve top for €20 buy bidding i just set my max to €20 free shipping, i haven't tried the long bibs but in fairness they look as good as any low to mid range you'll buy here, the jerseys are very good value and all or most long zip which is a big plus for me,

3 years ago I took a punt on a pair of carbon 35mm clincher rims with carbon brake surface which worried me at time, basic hubs nothing fancy €265 posted, never a days trouble never been trued hubs are smooth as ever and brake track is perfect iv about 5000km on them mostly in winter on not so great roads, I'm delighted with them to be honest as for weight iv a pair of Dura Ace 7900 C35 wheels and weight difference is not huge in favour of DA's!

Sorry for off topic bit ��

Just to add re washing kit i use a net bag and mild Wasing detergent sparingly on a warm wash not hot and only a short cycle, I know you can get Assos kit detergent ifor it's any safer i don't know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

A general rule I apply to pretty much everything, is that 'made in Italy' is not a badge of honour as these brands seem to think, its a warning sign that the quality is generally ****e.

I've been offered a refund but they clearly stated it was my fault. Happy for the refund but would have preferred some quality gear as I really liked it. Time to try a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Have a try on Rapha (excellent guarantee)

all my gear is Castelli and two pairs of shorts and two San remo suits (one winter) and no issues with any of them. I use the 30 minute cycle at 30 degrees with a 1200 spin using fairy powder and small amount of calgon liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Because its in exactly the same place on both pairs is it rubbing against something?

Because its in exactly the same place on both pairs is it rubbing against something?

yeah my saddle/skin but isnt that what they are meant to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Strange looking hole, in one pair maybe defective but two pairs? Were both pairs bought at same time? Maybe batch problem

Borderfox wrote: »
    Strange looking hole, in one pair maybe defective but two pairs? Were both pairs bought at same time? Maybe batch problem

not bought at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

yeah my saddle/skin but isnt that what they are meant to do?

It is - is there any rough parts on the saddle that are causing wear more than might be normal.

Just thinking it happened on two different bikes with two different saddles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

My wife hand washes my cycling clothes for me, keeps them in tip top condition.

• Advertisement

I've been offered a refund but they clearly stated it was my fault. Happy for the refund but would have preferred some quality gear as I really liked it. Time to try a different brand.

I know you've had a bad experience, but you got a refund. That's really excellent customer service. They deserve another chance for that alone.

Castelli is excellent gear. Superbly made. I have never heard anyone complain about the quality before.

they/them/theirs

terrydel wrote: »
    A general rule I apply to pretty much everything, is that 'made in Italy' is not a badge of honour as these brands seem to think, its a warning sign that the quality is generally ****e.

Sorry. But that's nonsense. All of my gear is Italian: Capo, Castelli and Campagnolo. Zero complaints. I've always bought Italian and always will, excellent quality.

My Castelli winter gear is particularly hard wearing.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I know you've had a bad experience, but you got a refund. That's really excellent customer service. They deserve another chance for that alone.

Castelli is excellent gear. Superbly made. I have never heard anyone complain about the quality before.

I said as much in my reply to castelli. I asked for a refund or exchange. They offered me a refund saying it would be pointless sending a new pair out given the issues

I said as much in my reply to castelli. I asked for a refund or exchange. They offered me a refund saying it would be pointless sending a new pair out given the issues

I find this all very strange. Do you have particularly pointy sit bones?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

jamesd wrote: »
    My wife hand washes my cycling clothes for me, keeps them in tip top condition.

Wow, just wow...

Brian? wrote: »
    I find this all very strange. Do you have particularly pointy sit bones?

Not that I am aware of and as I said don't have the same issues with other gear

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have a few pairs of Castelli shorts and tights, all with plenty of use and none have anything remotely like the sort of wear in your photo. Can't fault their quality either, haven't noticed any issues after washing either, once you wash them inside out and in a mild detergent. The hole in the photo seems to be at the side of the pad which I think would point to a rubbing issue, but you'd surely notice something rubbing enough to wear a hole in the pad?

As said above though fair play to them for giving a refund, I wouldn't have expected one to be honest...

Advertisement