Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inner tube losing 20 psi a week is normal ?

Options
  • 23-08-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

-I have carrera subway one and the rear inner tube was droping 60 psi to 40 in 7 days
    -I changed to best amazon inner tube and I still lose 20 psi a week
    -Is it normal ?
    -Is there any best inner tube on the market that is not losing air so quickly ?
    (my weight is 94 kg)

Thanks for any response

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

yep.
    Thats normal.
    I pump my tyres up before every cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I would say its on the high side.

from experience I lose about 5psi a week using Schwalbe or Continental 23c tubes..

That's starting at 100psi and using bike twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Completely normal.

On a side note, unless your using 28mm + tyres and weigh less than 9stone you really should be inflating your tyres higher, at least to 80psi in order to avoid pinch flats.

If they're 23mm tyres and you weigh anything north of 11st then put at least 90psi in the rear tyre and 80psi in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Sounds normal - I inflate my SS commuter to 120psi (23mm) on a Sunday and it's normally back around 100psi by the following week! Used to do it every day but don't bother anymore! Road/Mountain bikes get pumped up before every spin!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

C3PO wrote: »
    Sounds normal - I inflate my SS commuter to 120psi (23mm) on a Sunday and it's normally back around 100psi by the following week! Used to do it every day but don't bother anymore! Road/Mountain bikes get pumped up before every spin!
    there's a bit of a difference in losing 20 if you're starting at 120, compared to dropping from 60 to 40.

but yes, you will lose pressure, albeit that what you're losing is a little higher than what i see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement