Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third year science options- bioinformatics

• 23-08-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there,

I'm entering stage 3 science and was just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Bioinformatics module? It seems nice because there is no final exam and it's all based on CA. I'd be interested in hearing what people thought of it. Also I would be interested in hearing about any other option modules people studying biology chose. I'm majoring in physiology.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

it's a horrible yet nice module.... most of it will make absolutely no sense but you'll manage it if your friends are doing it too and you will all help eachother. make sure you all go to the scheduled tutorial classes they're crucial. In the classes, we picked certain questions some of us would do while others would figure out how to do the rest and that means less work for everyone but you still get everything done and know how to do it all then. The tutorial sheets are marked easily every week and everyone usually gets' A's. It is nice that there is no end of year exam, that certainly helps, but just be wary that it is by no means the nice fluffy module you think it may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 smtp95

it's a horrible yet nice module.... most of it will make absolutely no sense but you'll manage it if your friends are doing it too and you will all help eachother. make sure you all go to the scheduled tutorial classes they're crucial. In the classes, we picked certain questions some of us would do while others would figure out how to do the rest and that means less work for everyone but you still get everything done and know how to do it all then. The tutorial sheets are marked easily every week and everyone usually gets' A's. It is nice that there is no end of year exam, that certainly helps, but just be wary that it is by no means the nice fluffy module you think it may be!

Thank you so much for your reply. I have spoken to some people who told me the module was 'horrible' but did not really specify. A lot of people are contemplating doing bioinformatics so hopefully it won't be so bad. How did you get on in the end with the module? I hope I'm not coming across as nosy just wondering :pac: Out of interest what did you pick as your other option module? Or did friends do any options which they found interesting and not too difficult? I always find a final exam can be a bit of a stumbling block for me and I tend to under perform despite really trying. Last year I had no electives and it was a major struggle to get a 2:1 which I finally did in the end, so I'd love to make life a little easier for myself this year :p much appreciated

Advertisement