Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rattling noise from the engine! VLX 600

Options
  • 23-08-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

OK so when ever I start off from first I can feel this real heavy click from the left, not the chain itself, of the engine. It's a really loud rattle noise, sounds like dry parts smacking each other. The rattle eases depending on the what gear I'm in, first is the worst 4th is the best. Any idea what could be wrong, I've had this noise for the last month but no problems with performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

KyleMurt15 wrote: »
    OK so when ever I start off from first I can feel this real heavy click from the left, not the chain itself, of the engine. It's a really loud rattle noise, sounds like dry parts smacking each other. The rattle eases depending on the what gear I'm in, first is the worst 4th is the best. Any idea what could be wrong, I've had this noise for the last month but no problems with performance.

What have you done to investigate the noise?
    Chain OK?
    Pull the countershaft sprocket and see what it looks like?
    Splines OK?
    Left side will not be clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KyleMurt15

Chain is a little bit slack, but tightening it today.
    Honestly very new to bikes. I haven't checked the sprocket yet, I'l check that today too.
    Which splines do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

only get the noise when the bike is in motion? Cant replicate it in neutral?

Wossack wrote: »
    only get the noise when the bike is in motion? Cant replicate it in neutral?

Yes that's it, it's at it's loudest when I move off in first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Is it a random clicking rattling sound that's independent of the engine rpm? If so its likely likely drivetrain related.

Or is it a knock or rattle that is in sync with engine rpm or does it get worse on accelleration. If so it could be, at best, a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. At worst it could be knock from big end bearings. At absolute worst it's the notorious Honda gudeon pin "knock of doom".

• Advertisement

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Is it a random clicking rattling sound that's independent of the engine rpm? If so its likely likely drivetrain related.

Or is it a knock or rattle that is in sync with engine rpm or does it get worse on accelleration. If so it could be, at best, a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. At worst it could be knock from big end bearings. At absolute worst it's the notorious Honda gudeon pin "knock of doom".
    Gets worse upon acceleration. But I have at very high revs when accelerating anything beyond 110, but no sound when I'm accelerating then or when I'm in 3rd?

Advertisement