Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just failed test for 4th time..Genuinely cant take it anymore

• 23-08-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

In 3 of my tests Ive gotten a total of 7 grade 2s between them.
    In my 3rd test I got 17 grade 2s. Where's the consistency? I drove the exact same in every test.

3 times Ive failed from getting the harshest grade 3 imaginable.Im not making excuses, they were all grade 3s by the book. But cmon. Not looking left at a junction in an EMPTY estate where I could see the road to the left on approach anyway. But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

Im just losing all hope. This was my last chance to pass before starting college and now Ive to commute every single day for god knows how long on a bus with the worst schedule in Ireland.

Ive spent so much money on passing this test, around €1500 Id estimate at this point. Between the test fee, pretests and using my instructors car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TheStook wrote: »
    But cmon. Not looking left at a junction in an EMPTY estate where I could see the road to the left on approach anyway. But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

You still look. The situation could have changed very quickly, and you can't assume.

But back to the main topic. What feedback has your driving instructor provided to you? Have you perhaps thought about using a different driving instructor who could give you a second opinion?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In my 3rd test I got 17 grade 2s. Where's the consistency? I drove the exact same in every test.

3 times Ive failed from getting the harshest grade 3 imaginable.Im not making excuses, they were all grade 3s by the book. But cmon. Not looking left at a junction in an EMPTY estate where I could see the road to the left on approach anyway. But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

Im just losing all hope. This was my last chance to pass before starting college and now Ive to commute every single day for god knows how long on a bus with the worst schedule in Ireland.

Ive spent so much money on passing this test, around €1500 Id estimate at this point. Between the test fee, pretests and using my instructors car.

All we can do is take the testers word at this stage, but were they all for observation issues? Maybe it's time to switch driving instructors, it sounds like you've picked up some bad habits (like we all do) that your current one isn't picking up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

Its a test. You have to do whats necessary to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

OP you sound really entitled and also like a really bad driver.

And also you sound like you don't understand how to take a test.

Its not up to you to decide that looking left is stupid or unnecessary. You do whats required to pass the test. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's definitely a very frustrating situation, but you'll get there!

You mention that " I drove the exact same in every test.", this simply isn't possible, I have never had two drives exactly the same. So it is hard to compare between tests, even if the route was the same across all three.

If you have had the same instructor for all your lessons, I would recommend changing, even for 2 or 3 lessons. And see what they say to you. With 17 marks against you in the latest test, it would make it seem that there were quite a few issues that need fixing.

Get a second opinion, do a few more lessons and book the test again. You'll get there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

First off don't get too upset about it as it does then flow into the next time you take the test. I failed mine 3 times before I passed and I would swear that most of the mistakes I made in the 2nd & 3rd were from being a bit too hyped up about the fact I'd failed the last one.

A couple of months break might actually be a good thing.

I would also echo the opinion of changing driving instructor. It's not anything against your current one but sometimes a new pair of eyes spot your mistakes and call you on them quicker than someone you've known for a while.

And as for "fake glancing". It's not fake glancing, you are meant to do it for a reason. A lot can happen in a few seconds.

Change instructor. Don't rush into another test. Have a number of lessons and be guided by your new instructor as to when to apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not looking left at a junction in an EMPTY estate where I could see the road to the left on approach anyway. But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

They want to be confident that you know what is going on around you. If you don't look, regardless of what's on the road, all they are going to think is, "This person doesn't look."

Do you want to come up against someone else driving who didn't look in your direction, before turning out in front of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Your tester can't read minds - look left and right at a junction to show them that you have looked left and right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

You have to be seen to be looking.

You need a better instructor and one that in addition to teaching you how to drive will get you playing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,461 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I drove the exact same in every test.

You've failed 4 tests. Time to stop driving the exact same.

Listen to how you need to demonstrate that you are a good/safe/courteous driver and do it. The tester has roughly an hour to determine whether you have demonstrated satisfactorily that you are a competent driver. Seeing the road from a good distance back and making the call that you don't have to look is going to get you a mark. Stop for a second and show the tester that you would look. A quick glance would save you a fortune in lessons and retests!!

If you don't stop at a stop sign because you can see the road and know its clear you're going to fail. Not because you did something dangerous at that point. But because you didn't follow a basic rule of the road. The tester is looking for very specific things. You are repeatedly not showing them what they're looking for. For the sake of an hour, drive exactly as you are expected to. Avoid unnecessary marks on the sheet and get your licence.

It's not the testers fault that you are failing.

Edit: not only do you need to look left/in mirrors etc, but you need to do it in a slightly exaggerated fashion so that the tester is in no doubt that you are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'd recommend taking a practice test with your driving instructor, instead of a driving lesson.

You might have done this already, but it doesn't sound like it if you don't understand that you need to be seen to be checking your mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

do they still give you the sheet where they have marked you?

review it with a new instructor.

look you and everyone else knows that the driving test is tough, but you have admitted you didn't do something because you didn't feel it was necessary. at the end of the day you have to over look and over exagerate to let the tester see you are doing it.

in the real world there could be a kid after running out, someone on a bike, someone speeding.

the seriousness is reflected in your failing.

when i started driving my dad sat me into the car and turned it on. i was so excited, he then gave me the same lecture im sure parents up the down the country give and i will never forget it coz it scared the **** outta me.

''you are now behind the machine of a killing machine... you are statistically more likely to die on the road than someone my age, and as a girl you are more likely to be killed as a passenger than your brother. he was 50 or so at the time and lads make up 78& of road deaths in ireland. scared me ****less. im a grand driver (the usual bad habits) but i dont take things like checking my blind spot or checking and double checking when reversing out of my house for kids, accident happen.

The figures for 2015 from the RSA The highest number of fatalities on our roads were among those aged 16-25 (45) and 66+ (31). and 78% of road fatalities are males.

cop on do what you are supposed to do and pass the test and drive like a grown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Edit: not only do you need to look left/in mirrors etc, but you need to do it in a slightly exaggerated fashion so that the tester is in no doubt that you are doing it.
    This.

Fake it until you make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One of the pieces of advice I was given before doing my test was "show you are Looking" by moving your head, not just your eyes. This applies to both looking Left and Right and using your Mirrors.
    When looking "pause" for moment to demonstrate that you are taking in all you can see.
    As others have said, get a second opinion or a different instructor. Driving as you have been and getting similar test results demonstrates you still doing something wrong.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

But cmon. Not looking left at a junction in an EMPTY estate where I could see the road to the left on approach anyway. But no im expected to do a fake glance regardless.

A motorcycle could be in your blind spot and you could run that person over because you hadn't looked.
    Or a child could have run out on the road
    or xyz.

You're not doing a "fake glance". You should be doing a genuine "is it safe to proceed glance".

If you can't prove you'd be safe on the road then you shouldn't get your licence. Its harsh but true.

The next time you do the test, mirrors. Check them obsessively. All mirrors, every 10 seconds at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'll add this:

You say you can see the junction to be clear as you are approaching.
    Well you know how fast cars can travel right?
    By the time you have moved from your origional vantage point to the junction, everything you know about it is obsolete. You have no idea if there is a speeding car or whatever at or approaching the junction.
    Cruising past without taking another look is like closing your eyes and going "Well here goes nothing!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A motorcycle could be in your blind spot and you could run that person over because you hadn't looked.
    Or a child could have run out on the road
    or xyz.

You're not doing a "fake glance". You should be doing a genuine "is it safe to proceed glance".

If you can't prove you'd be safe on the road then you shouldn't get your licence. Its harsh but true.

The next time you do the test, mirrors. Check them obsessively. All mirrors, every 10 seconds at least.

This ^. Please take note OP.
    There is something chilling about the phrase "a fake glance"; because I've witnessed many drivers looking and not seeing and then pulling out of a junction.

Your car's windscreen pillars can cause a blind spot concealing a bike or motorbike for example, or a vehicle can blend into the background.

Good luck on your next test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Sometimes I am one of those labeled as a "vulnerable" road users. As such, maybe it is best that you "Just failed test for 4th time..Genuinely cant take it anymore". I'll feel better and safer knowing you are not out there driving. [That's completely tongue in cheek because you could continue, as is, with additional learner permits.]

You need to learn how to behave responsibly on the road. Once you have and once you apply it to your driving, you will pass the test. Please, when you do pass, maintain that standard and don't revert to the below par standard you obviously display to testers now!

OP, I completely understand your frustration after failing 4 times. But I wonder is it that your instructor isn't very good, or that you think you are better than you are and don't need to listen to the instruction that your instructor is giving you? As people have pointed out, at any junction you are not giving a fake glance. You are double checking the road is clear. In an estate especially, where you will have motorists, cyclist, pedestrians, children who are small and liable to come from anywhere chasing a ball or a dog or each other! You may believe you didn't do anything dangerous at that particular junction. You may indeed have been able to see both sides of it on approach and that it was clear. But what you need to realise is, that in the context of the test that is a sample junction. And, in context of the test, you have to demonstrate that you would take time at a junction to slow down, or stop if at a stop sign or line, and look to make double/triple sure it is safe to proceed. Not only checking to your left and right but also checking your left and right mirrors for anyone or anything that could be coming up either side of you.

There are loads of different websites that give you tips for passing your test. Your driving test is like any other test you will take, you should study and prepare as much as you can to deliver what is needed on the day. But after you've passed, please try to remember the requirements to prove you are a safe and competent driver. It will take a second to slow down at a junction and check to make sure it's safe to move on. Do it. You might feel safe in the comfort of your car, but it's the people outside your car who are more vulnerable than you that you need to consider.

Listen to the faults people are telling you you are making, and then correct them. No point in continuing to drive the same and hope some tester will see what all the others have been missing (or that the tester will miss what all the others have seen!) Listen to the advice you are being given on how to be a safer driver and be a safer driver. It takes seconds. Seconds. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Op take a look at some of the Russian dash cam videos and see what happens when drivers don't take a look. As the previous poster says it takes seconds. Seconds to take a look and drive away safely? or seconds to potentially kill some one cause you didnt look? Know which one I'd do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

The driving test is very simple. It is only necessary to demonstrate that you are a safe and compentent driver.

If you were at or near test standard you would know exactly why you failed. So, either your instructor is incompentent or you have not taken sufficient lessons to reach test standard.

The usual reason for getting a grade 3 on left obs is when you are turnig left but looking to the right. You MUST be looking where you are going.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    One of the pieces of advice I was given before doing my test was "show you are Looking" by moving your head, not just your eyes. This applies to both looking Left and Right and using your Mirrors.
    When looking "pause" for moment to demonstrate that you are taking in all you can see.
    As others have said, get a second opinion or a different instructor. Driving as you have been and getting similar test results demonstrates you still doing something wrong.
    Best of luck.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Mobile-Phone/
    scroll down to the video

A split second is all it takes

There is no reason whatsoever to put on an act for the examiner.

Staring overlong in a mirror will get you marked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A guy drove in front of me yesterday to turn right while exiting a side street. he didn't look, before cutting in in front of me.

If I wasn't watching him, he would have been straight into me and gone through the car I was driving. With my son in the back seat.

One simple mistake to make. But the cost of it is enormous.

Don't assume something isnt there, because there wasn't anything there 30 seconds beforehand.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

The driving test is very simple. It is only necessary to demonstrate that you are a safe and compentent driver.

If you were at or near test standard you would know exactly why you failed. So, either your instructor is incompentent or you have not taken sufficient lessons to reach test standard.

The usual reason for getting a grade 3 on left obs is when you are turnig left but looking to the right. You MUST be looking where you are going.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Mobile-Phone/
    scroll down to the video

A split second is all it takes

There is no reason whatsoever to put on an act for the examiner.

Staring overlong in a mirror will get you marked.

The point is by turning your head you demonstrate that you are actually looking. A moment need only be a second or two to take in the information and ensure its safe to manoeuvre.

The point is by turning your head you demonstrate that you are actually looking. A moment need only be a second or two to take in the information and ensure its safe to manoeuvre.

Hi,

There is no need whatsoever to demonstrate anything. I was an instructor for over 15 years. During that time I never ever told a pupil to turn their head to do a mirror check. Instead taught them when, where how and why.

Hi,

There is no need whatsoever to demonstrate anything. I was an instructor for over 15 years. During that time I never ever told a pupil to turn their head to do a mirror check. Instead taught them when, where how and why.

Well only saying what I was advised, and I passed first time.
    Maybe if people took a "good look" in their mirrors and when looking left or right there would be less accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

You are never going to pass with that attitude.

You have to look left and right at junctions and do it each and every time.What were the other grade three faults.

At your age you have to get everything right,the instructor has to be sure you won't cause an accident because you are high risk.He is thinking to himself you have had twelve lessons at least and you are driving for six moths and you are making dangerous errors.

Could you apply to do the test at another centre.

Well only saying what I was advised, and I passed first time.
    Maybe if people took a "good look" in their mirrors and when looking left or right there would be less accidents.

Hi,

An examiner told ne once that he sometimes he did not mark for an "Instructor induced fault". so perhaps that is what happened, he knew you were following your instructors teaching. After the test you would revert to using common sense and merely turn your eyes. (But of course turning your head whn necessary)

I concentrated on teaching a person to drive for life not perform for an examiner.

My daughter went into the test centre at 4.45 and was done and dusted with the test by 5.10,was this very short.

Someone above posted the examiner has an hour,my daughter passed in twenty five minutes.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I've learnt to 'drive' everything from yachts to small aircraft; I've had to be seen doing X,Y,Z every time and I've always been advised to either say* I'm doing something or slightly over exaggerate the movement.

*It's a bit difficult to be seen doing something when the guy/gal marking you is sat in front of you!

Mary63 wrote: »
    My daughter went into the test centre at 4.45 and was done and dusted with the test by 5.10,was this very short.

Someone above posted the examiner has an hour,my daughter passed in twenty five minutes.

Is she nice looking? :pac:

Was there a match on that day? Or maybe his dinner was nearly ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

TheStook wrote:
    I drove the exact same in every test.

The definition of stupidty doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

They just do one of a few fixed routes; it's not time-based, so it depends on the length of the route and traffic conditions, and how quick the learner is at performing maneuvers. My test the other week in Limerick was less than half an hour on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My test was barely 25 minutes if I remember right. Bit of faffing in the office with paperwork after, but time on the road was very short.

Not to brag here (I know this will sound baggy) but I only had 1xgrade 1 and 1xgrade 2 against me, so I'm assuming he thought after a relatively short amount of time that I was that I was a safe enough driver so we just went back to the test center. Maybe if they feel like you're more borderline they might keep you out a bit longer to see if you either settle into it and ultimately pass or actually get a grade 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭dennyk

Not to brag here (I know this will sound baggy) but I only had 1xgrade 1 and 1xgrade 2 against me, so I'm assuming he thought after a relatively short amount of time that I was that I was a safe enough driver so we just went back to the test center. Maybe if they feel like you're more borderline they might keep you out a bit longer to see if you either settle into it and ultimately pass or actually get a grade 3.

Mine did the entire route, at least as far as I could remember it from my lessons in the area. Maybe they have do have some longer route options for problem learners, though. I also passed with one Grade 1 and a couple Grade 2s, mostly because I've been driving for a couple decades (in the US, granted, but it ain't much different here once you learn the few rule differences and get used to driving on the left). I imagine a confident driver would complete the test a bit faster than a nervous one, too, so that might have something to do with it.

I'm sure traffic is a big thing, as well; mine was a Saturday morning, so there was very little traffic on the roads; never had to wait more than a few seconds even at major road junctions. Doing a similar length route in central Dublin at rush hour would likely take quite a bit longer, I'd imagine.

There was a match on,it was a Monday,I sat in the pub for a few minutes waiting for her and then I thought I would go for a walk.I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my car being driven back to the test centre,it was barely twenty five minutes since I said good luck.She did the theory questions,the questions at the end and the driving test within that time.She had seven grade 2 faults and she was told if she had one more she was gone.She thought she had hit the kerb during the test so she said thats me gone and relaxed,she didn't know why she was signing for competency as she was so sure she had failed.

She is good looking,or I think so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Many years ago when I was doing a truck driving course for the company I was working for the Instructor gave me the following piece of advice "always read the road and be aware of everything that is happening all around you at all times"I passed the test first time and have always remembered and put into practice his words of wisdom ever since.

She is good looking,or I think so anyway.

Takes after her Mam, no doubt. ;)

nah,I think she is a throwback.

• Advertisement

People will do all sorts of mad things on the road. Had someone overtake me on the right before while I was sitting there with my right indicator on about to turn. If I hadn't done my last mirror check I could have been smushed. Or people will wobble changing lanes in front of you, someone could be on their phone on the footpath on that junction and cross over the road without looking at you, and you need to have been looking at them.
    Other people around you whether in cars or bikes or whatever are going to be distracted or incompetent or just simply assuming you can see them and it's your responsibility to be looking around and aware of what's around you at all times.
    No more "fake glances".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I've learnt to 'drive' everything from yachts to small aircraft; I've had to be seen doing X,Y,Z every time and I've always been advised to either say* I'm doing something or slightly over exaggerate the movement.

*It's a bit difficult to be seen doing something when the guy/gal marking you is sat in front of you!
    Surely you would sail a yacht and fly or pilot a plane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

My driving instructor suggested I do every thing by the book and I'd pass.

Mine was done in Shannon Town which included the industrial estate which lots of yield signs.
    You could see into the horizon both ways,I always stopped and looked left and right.
    You never know there could have been a plane going for an emergency landing,always expect the unexpected they say.
    Unlikely I know but there's an airport near by.

Anyhow,how's the tester supposed to know that the op doesn't look left and right at a yield sign when not being tested.
    So when the op didn't bother he struck him or her off.
    Bad form probably I know,I empathize with the OP.

I'm one of those unfortunate drivers who had another driver fly through a stop sign without looking they ploughed into me,nearly 2 year's later I'm still having shoulder and neck problems.

I've seen worse drivers with N plates than L plates.

Roundabouts are a disaster with most N plate drivers,especially in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Get an automatic. Its impossible to fail. Worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You've gotta remember that he's giving you a cert that entitles you to a licence to drive anywhere.

He's gotta be confident that you'll give good observations not only in a deserted housing estate but on Friday evening on the M50. If he sees you having slack observation at one point he's going to assume you'll have slack observation in other situations too (and when no one is in the car to check). And then mark you accordingly.

percy212 wrote: »
    Get an automatic. Its impossible to fail. Worked for me.
    An automatic head turner is what he needs ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Surely you would sail a yacht and fly or pilot a plane.

I'm always happy to oblige people in their command of the English language, I'm afraid I cant post links but some manipulation of the below will assist you.

www dot oxforddictionaries dot com/words/inverted-commas

I'm always happy to oblige people in their command of the English language, I'm afraid I cant post links but some manipulation of the below will assist you.

www dot oxforddictionaries dot com/words/inverted-commas

Good man, I'd be lost without you.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Good man, I'd be lost without you.

You're very welcome! Punctuation seems to have taken a back seat these days to basic grammar. People are so caught up in whether it's 'you're or your' that they forget the joy of those 14 little marks.

If you can come up with a good way for me to stop confusing effect and affect I'll consider the debt repaid.

The test candidate is fully advised by the examiner on how he wants the test conducted.

At the car.

The tester says- "Thank you. Now, would you please ensure that the seat, seat-belt, head restraint, and mirrors are properly adjusted and that your door is properly closed." The tester should confirm that the tester's door is closed and should also adjust an exterior mirror, if asked to do so by the applicant.

The tester should say - "Now, you should drive in your normal manner. I will tell you in good time when to turn left or right, otherwise you follow the course of the road. If you have any doubts about my directions ask me to repeat or clarify them. You may start when you are ready".

He does not add for example Would you ever mind helping me out, exaggerate your observation checks.

Any driving nstructor who advises their pupils to exaggerate in the test does not know how to teach their pupils how and when to do proper, correct obs checks.

Had a pupil once, a young lad, he arrived for the lesson in his own car (VW Polo). I sat in and we drove off. Showed good car control so immediately felt happy would have little or no work to do in that department. Then suddenly he went berserk. ducking, bobbing and weaving his head violently around the car. Then as suddenly as he started, he stopped. I thought he had had some kind of seizure and wee bit worried as he was a very big lad. Calmly as I could I asked him to pull over and stop. Which he did, no probem (except no mirror checks). Safely stopped I asked him was he OK, he replied fine. Then asked him what happened back there. He said he was checking the mirrors.
    Bit drastic ?.

He then explained, he desperately needed to pass the test and he had already failed four time. Each times for observation. After each test his instructor would tell him that the examiner obviously had not seen him checking, So for each subsequent test he would exaggerate a little more. But same result, same advice each time. Now he said I have been practising this way for the last three months and there is no effen way he will not see me doing the checks.

Told him adjust his mirrors correctly, then taught the when where how and whys of observation. And of course not to exaggerate. He passed no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement