Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which size bit/screws/wall plugs please!

Options
  • 23-08-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I must start by warning you - I'm pretty useless at DIY, but that doesn't stop me trying sometimes... so please be kind, I have a stupid question!

I want to put up an IKEA floating shelf into a concrete wall.

I have a hammer drill.

I just want to make sure I have using the correct size screws / wall plugs / bit.

I was going to use a bit 6, screw 5x60mm (imperial 3/16x2 3/8") (size 5 I think?), and wall plug 8x51mm (imperial 5/16x2")

Is that correct?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

By bit 6, do you mean a 6mm drill bit? On the rawl plug itself, or the packet, it should have the size drill bit you need. If the plug you have is 8x51, that means the diameter is 8mm, so you'll need an 8mm masonry bit. There is a range of screw sizes that will fit each rawl plug, but 5x60 will be fine.

Make sure you drill the hole deep enough to allow the screw can be tightened fully, as its unlikely that the bracket you are securing will be 9mm deep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have a few of them up around.
    5 or 6 mm I used, and 30 long.
    The holes in the bracket that mount on to the wall are small, about 5 or 6mm so you can't go any bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Edit:
    Oops,
    Double post an hour apart.
    Stupid phone :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

When I started into DIY many years ago a carpenter told me the following combination is the one to use:

Red Rawlpug
    5.5mm drill bit
    3.5mm width screw (50mm in length should be enough)

If the hole is a bit tight for the plug and it won't go in fully, screw the screw into it a couple of mm and then tap it with a hammer until the plug it is flush with the wall and no longer sticking out.

I've been using this for years and it always works for me.

I usually chuck out screws and plugs that come with stuff as they're usually utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Its pretty straightforward. One bit of advice I give stay away from the super cheap rawlplugs even the ones that come supplied with various items go to the hardware store and buy the good ones depending on size of course usual red/6mm or brown8mm.

I second what Jordy Verrill I'v sunk hundreds upon hundreds over the years using the same method. Also tighten only till the screw stops if you over tighten it it will stripped the plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mar12345

Thank you for the advice everyone, it should be ok now, off to woodies in the morning to buy good rawlplugs :-)

I'll be back for more advice if I make a complete balls of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

How'd you go, did you follow this advice?

Red Rawlpug
    5.5mm drill bit

I bought the Lack floating shelves from IKEA during the week and I'd like to put them up this weekend. Each shelf requires 16 screws for the bracket so I just want to make sure I get it right.

I'll be screwing them into a plastered block wall, one tricky issue is that there is a power cable chased on the other side of the wall directly where I have to drill a hole. The wall is about 12cm thick, if I'm drilling 5cm then should I be safe enough in avoiding the power cable in the other room?

many thanks

FN
    mar12345 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice everyone, it should be ok now, off to woodies in the morning to buy good rawlplugs :-)

I'll be back for more advice if I make a complete balls of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

funnyname wrote: »
    How'd you go, did you follow this advice?

Red Rawlpug
    5.5mm drill bit

I bought the Lack floating shelves from IKEA during the week and I'd like to put them up this weekend. Each shelf requires 16 screws for the bracket so I just want to make sure I get it right.

I'll be screwing them into a plastered block wall, one tricky issue is that there is a power cable chased on the other side of the wall directly where I have to drill a hole. The wall is about 12cm thick, if I'm drilling 5cm then should I be safe enough in avoiding the power cable in the other room?

many thanks

FN
    Yes

Advertisement