Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The First ATM

Options
  • 23-08-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

was installed in 1980 in The Bank of Ireland.
    I don't remember them being prevalent until the 90's but then I had no money in the 80's to withdraw in the first place :D

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0213/679861-irelands-first-atm/

surprised this doesn't have the screen that used to slowly and painfully drop down after every transcaction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It'll never catch on! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Skerries wrote: »
    surprised this doesn't have the screen that used to slowly and painfully drop down after every transcaction

It does. When the card is inserted you can't see the keypad because the screen was down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It is widely accepted that the first cash machine was put into use by Barclays Bank in its Enfield Town branch in north London, United Kingdom, on 27 June 1967

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_machine

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was a drive thru ATM on the southside, Cornelscourt I think?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Steve wrote: »

Just a few weeks older than me. :D

Yeah, that was in AIB Cornelscourt. They had two or three ATMs in the drive through part iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There have been quite a few of them, mostly using large trucks!

Sorry :D that was my first thought when I saw the post!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

How times have changed. The first cash dispensers I can remember used a card that was similar in concept to an 80 column punch card, and you got £10, the card was retained and posted back to you every time it was used.

The next generation machines (mid 70's) used a card that was similar to the modern credit card, there was a stripe on the back that contained the information the machine needed to process it, in those days, they were not on line, so they were restricted to one use per day, and again, the amount was limited to £10, but the card could be used up to 20 times, it used to put a small dimple in the card to indicate how many times it had been used, and after 20 uses, it was retained by the machine, and a new card was sent out by post. They were based on a computer terminal that was designed for the banks in house processing, an evil machine to work on due to being very cramped and in small locations, I spent a number of years fixing them, the most common problem was local morons that used to get their kicks by putting superglue on the keyboards, and getting the buttons out to clean them off was a nightmare job, as it had to be done from inside the machine, and as the key popped out, it was of course outside the bank, and getting out to then pick it up before it got nicked or kicked by a passer by could take 10 minutes if the branch was closed, so it usually meant sending 2 engineers out to the call, one inside, and the other outside.

There was no facility to use a dispenser from another bank, they were not compatible, so you had to use a machine from your own bank, and in those days, they were few and far between.

The modern machines are better in terms of the hardware, but the quality of the software still leaves a lot to be desired, the number of times it asks a question, and then says it can't do what it's just asked about, if it can't do it, why even ask?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I had a card in the UK in about 1976 from the Midland Bank that had a mag stripe and those dimples. There was a reward for finding it.... so I 'found' it a couple of times. Ahem. A friend had one from Natwest Bank that was very similar to the library access card at the university we were at, similar to 8-hole paper rape (who remembers that?!?!)

Advertisement