Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your Jam on!

Options
  • 23-08-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭

Further to recent posts in the General Chat thread about apples - it got me thinking about my own apple crop. (Protected by 3 cats, 2 rabbits & a wife with a particularly nasty bite - lest MissF think of doing a bit of scrumping out my way. :pac:)

I have a hybrid apple tree & we have a bumper crop this year. I'm not sure what varieties the apples are, but the red fruit is sweetish & the green are kind of sour.

I had my first taste of this year's apples last night & am thinking of making apple jelly with the green apples. If anyone has a tried & trusted recipe for apple jelly - I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also blessed with access to miles of hedgerows filled with blackberries & plan on bagging some of these soon too. So, if you've any recipies for jams, preserves or anything to do with autumn fruit - feel free to pop it in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Further to recent posts in the General Chat thread about apples - it got me thinking about my own apple crop. (Protected by 3 cats, 2 rabbits & a wife with a particularly nasty bite - lest MissF think of doing a bit of scrumping out my way. :pac:)

I have a hybrid apple tree & we have a bumper crop this year. I'm not sure what varieties the apples are, but the red fruit is sweetish & the green are kind of sour.

I had my first taste of this year's apples last night & am thinking of making apple jelly with the green apples. If anyone has a tried & trusted recipe for apple jelly - I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also blessed with access to miles of hedgerows filled with blackberries & plan on bagging some of these soon too. So, if you've any recipies for jams, preserves or anything to do with autumn fruit - feel free to pop it in this thread.

Make blackberry and red apple jam.
    It should work really nice, the pectin in the apple peel should help set the jam really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ooh that sounds exciting THB. I've always wanted to make apple jelly, it reminds me of when I was a child and a relative used to buy apple jelly from the Carmelite nuns. It's so nice on toast.

I've already made a small amount of jam this year, with the last of my red gooseberries and a load of strawberries that were going soft. I love home made jam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi have Jam Sugar in stock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs. Beer has become a jam/jelly fiend!
    Any fruit she lays her hands on gets turned into some sort of thing in a pot. And they are all delicious! She doesn't use recipes so I can't give any.

Some examples :
    Windfall apple jelly.
    Plum and redcurrant jelly.
    Redcurrant jelly.
    Seville marmalade.
    G&T lemon and lime marmalade.
    Lemon and elderflower marmalade (by product of elderflower cordial)
    Strawberry and blackcurrant gin jam (byproduct of Blackwater Strawberry Gin)
    Quince jelly.
    Crabapple jelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Never let your guard down is all I'm saying.

jvKXAQy.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made a batch of apple jelly over the weekend. 2kg of the sweeter apples gave me almost 2l of jelly. On my way to work at the moment, but The Kids just messaged me with their approval. They are harsh critics more used to their nan's homemade jams & jellies, so I am pretty pleased.

Will try a batch with the sour apples soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What recipe did you use THB? I'm thinking I'll make some soon, you've got me longing for apple jelly now.

Hi DB - I used this one...
    http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/recipe-for-old-fashioned-apple-jelly-43/

Mrs B has since told me that a hint of ground cinnamon & cloves goes well in jelly recipes too. So I may try that in the next batch.

Thanks THB, I find allotment websites great for reliable jam and chutney recipes. I got my beetroot chutney a couple of others from this one:
    http://www.allotment-garden.org/

Excellent site! Thanks, DB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There's a huge amount of Rowan/Mountain Ash berries this year so I think I will make a few different recipes like the ones below. Does anyone else ever use them? You can cheat by sticking them in the freezer to make them sweeter too :p

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/rowanjelly.htm or http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/fruitandvegetables/10317255/Rowan-and-apple-jelly-recipe.html

http://en.heilkraeuter.net/cooking/rowan-berry-marmelade.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My girlfriend has been looking everywhere for a decent rhubarb jam. Most are rhubarb and raspberry/strawberry where the berry are all you can tastes. She got a rhubarb and apple at a market last week and its not quite right. Not very "jammy" and a little bland, very like baby food tbh.
    I'm wondering if I might be able to fix it. I'm thinking of adding more sugar and reboiling hoping that it sets a little stiffer. Adding gelatin to retry an set it a bit better. I suppose pectin would be better.
    Using jam sugar would combine the two

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

I made a batch of apple jelly over the weekend. 2kg of the sweeter apples gave me almost 2l of jelly. On my way to work at the moment, but The Kids just messaged me with their approval. They are harsh critics more used to their nan's homemade jams & jellies, so I am pretty pleased.

Will try a batch with the sour apples soon.

Do you grow your own apples? I would love to buy crab apples to make jelly. Also would love to know where I could buy fruit for jam making, so would appreciate suggestions. Thanks

Yeah, we have a hybrid tree with two types of apples - one is red & slightly sweet, the other green & more sour.

The apple jelly from the red ones turned out great. The jelly from the green apples was a bit of a cock-up because someone (not naming anybody, but yeah - I'm looking at you Mrs Billy!) boiled it on to high a heat & it has a burnt sugar flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

Would you know of anyone selling crab apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There's a huge amount of Rowan/Mountain Ash berries this year so I think I will make a few different recipes like the ones below. Does anyone else ever use them? You can cheat by sticking them in the freezer to make them sweeter too :p

http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/rowanjelly.htm or http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/fruitandvegetables/10317255/Rowan-and-apple-jelly-recipe.html

http://en.heilkraeuter.net/cooking/rowan-berry-marmelade.htm

I didn't know you could make jam from Rowan berries, interesting. There is a huge crop this year alright. They always look slightly poisonous to me though.

I make a tonne of jam every year (often unwillingly), but find freezing is my saviour. I've made marmalade with oranges that were 2 years frozen and it turned out perfectly.

Hill Billy, you should try marrow jam if you have any in the garden, it is surprisingly palatable and delicious with cheese!

Frustrated_WW - Musgraves have great frozen fruit for jam! But stuff being sold at the side of the road will do just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Would you know of anyone selling crab apples?

If you're near North Dublin, head into Marino and you'll find the roads lined with crab apple trees. They're a curse and the fallen apples damage parked cars and make the pavements/roads a health hazard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Made Rhubarb and Ginger jam for the first time this week. Don't know why I haven't done it long ago, lovely.

I always put less sugar than recommended. If a recipe calls for 3kg fruit/sugar I will only put 2kg of sugar to the 3kg of fruit. I like a little tartness to my jam and think you can taste the fruit better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thinking of trying blackberry port jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

There are loads of charts online that will give you unusual pairings of flavours, like this one:

https://bakeitright.com/flavor-charts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

some jams made, rasberry jam hade last night have blackberrys and apples in freezer, ready to go, and picking crab apples at weekend, crab apple jelly is a big hit, sometimes add a bit of chilli to it

[IMG][/img]504d132a-a530-48fc-8aaf-82a7ca203305_zpsw0whmof8.jpg

Blackberry & apple jam, not all labeled yet :o

[IMG][/img]1a1f7fa9-d501-4b28-a8a1-89e765f18ee1_zpsef0mkeuq.jpg

500g rhubarb and 400g sugar sitting in the fridge while the juice separates.
    First time making jam

Mellor wrote: »
    500g rhubarb and 400g sugar sitting in the fridge while the juice separates.
    First time making jam

Great, good for you, home made jams are so much nicer then shop bought :)
    are you using jam sugar? as rhubarb is very low in pectin, and can be hard to get a set,
    I use granulated sugar and add lemon and apple juice , seem to work fine
    Good luck with it :)

Small batch of gooseberry jam
    [IMG][/img]gooseberry%20jam%20jpg_zpssvude34b.jpg

sdp wrote: »
    Great, good for you, home made jams are so much nicer then shop bought :)
    are you using jam sugar? as rhubarb is very low in pectin, and can be hard to get a set,
    I use granulated sugar and add lemon and apple juice , seem to work fine
    Good luck with it :)

I'm using Jam sugar, as you mention its low in pectin.
    Also considering adding in the juice of half a lime tonight when I boil.

I feel like I'm freestyling the whole boiling, jarring, sealing side. :o

Lemon of lime juice would be grand, I tend not to use Jam sugar as I find it adds a different taste ,
    Fire away with any questions you might have, more then happy to help if I can :D
    Jam making can become very addicted ;)

I rad the whole text a blob on a plate thing but sounded a hassle. So just waiting on it to comeuppance to 105 degrees. Curreb my 102 and very watery still.
    Concerned

Mellor wrote: »
    I rad the whole text a blob on a plate thing but sounded a hassle. So just waiting on it to comeuppance to 105 degrees. Curreb my 102 and very watery still.
    Concerned

how long has it been boiling for?
    should take about 10-15 mins, you need it at a fast rolling boil

• Advertisement

sdp wrote: »
    how long has it been boiling for?
    should take about 10-15 mins, you need it at a fast rolling boil

Was a bit longer than that. Then the battery on my thermometer died. So I just tried setting a few blobs on chilled plates. I think I took it far enough.
    In jars now anyway.

Advertisement