Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Free Module

Options
  • 23-08-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I've been assigned a TY group for the coming year and it's up to me what I want to do with them, a free module so to speak. I haven't seen my timetable yet but I assume the class is once a week. I'd like to do something related to sport maybe, something like soccer coaching and then they go coach primary kids maybe ? Any pointers or links to that or other ideas greatfully welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

NCW feen wrote: »
    I've been assigned a TY group for the coming year and it's up to me what I want to do with them, a free module so to speak. I haven't seen my timetable yet but I assume the class is once a week. I'd like to do something related to sport maybe, something like soccer coaching and then they go coach primary kids maybe ? Any pointers or links to that or other ideas greatfully welcomed.

Is it the whole TY group every week, or smaller classes that rotate every few weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

One sport suggestion I heard of was a TY group who organised for the whole junior school to do a (roughly) timed 5k. Thought it was a great idea for promoting healthy living with the whole school as well as teaching organisational skills to the ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Re the sport thing I know the GAA do the young referee course in many schools so that might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The problem with a sports coaching course 40 mins a week most likely makes it very difficult to deliver these courses so may be tricky from that aspect.

Plus say soccer course takes 8 weeks then start the gaa might be 6 (I'm making up weeks based on usual hours for intro courses most likely might be 10 weeks each) what do those kids not into either do for 2/3 the school year

You could offer 2-3 options at the same time to cater but the logistics of doing that getting in 3 organisations to fit into your timetable would be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Is it the whole TY group every week, or smaller classes that rotate every few weeks?

It's a double class (70 minutes) every week with around 18 in the class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's a double class (70 minutes) every week with around 18 in the class.

Mention the coaching/referee course with the PE teacher if time is an issue.
    Or maybe tie it in with Gaisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The Gaisce suggestion is good. Nevertheless, if it's only a single class your options are limited. However, I'd be wary of doing a sports module as in most classes there will be plenty of people who aren't into team sports. If you go ahead with it could you get those kids to do something connected with it that they find interesting? For instance, science-minded kids could do research on optimum training methods/exercises/diets/sleep, etc and present it to the class, history-minded kids could do sports-related research and also make a presentation, etc.

As am alternative idea you could do a media studies type thing where 3 students each week must present something media based that caught their eye during the week - you can limit it to political stuff or open it up to anything including music perhaps and you could give each student a 20 minute slot to present their topic why it interested them and open it to floor for discussion. You might need to have students verify via email what they will be showcasing 24 hours in advance so you can review material and put some prompt questions together. Each student would only give a presentation every 6 weeks and you'd have 10 minutes to call role and allow for change over. Or you could make it shorter and have more presentations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Paired reading with the local primary school.

spurious wrote: »

That reminds me of a local school that takes TY's into the local day centre for older people and helps teaching with IT skills - texting Skype that kind of thing - was a great hit to keep in contact with grandkids travelling etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

spurious wrote: »

Would the TY's bring novels/books with them or would they read novels/books that the primary kids are using ? How many TY's would you send at a time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Paired reading with the local primary school is a brilliant idea. However it might not be easiest to organise, depending on distances, willingness of school participation etc.
    Sports stuff of whatever kind generally is repetitive and bores almost half the class (non sporty types). If 'sporty' why not try 'activity' rather than usual stuff. Supplement with First aid course if funds and tutor available.
    Lots of modules you can develop, media, Film /tv studies, the law and the teenager, social studies, local history/family history/genealogy....

Advertisement