Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to order new GPU

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're sticking with Nvidia, yes, if you're willing to try AMD the Rx480 is a good chunk cheaper (about €250 delivered from OCUK for a decent Nitro RX480 4GB vs about €300 for that basic GTX1060).

It's not as fast as the 1060 overall but still a strong performer and still a massive leap over a GTX950.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Thanks Terror.

Im not 100% on which one to get, I only have a 430 watt PSU so I might be pushing it with the RX 480. I have no loyalty to either company to be honest, Who ever has the best GPU for that price I will go with.4

I dont plan on upgrading the GPU in the next 18 to 24 months. So the 1060 might be the better option as it is slightly better. Hopefully the reduced power consumption will make up the €50 extra.

The only reason I could see myself going for the 480 would be having 2 crossfired, But I imagine it would be better to buy a more expensive card as opposed to 2 mid level cards.

Yes, I wouldn't bother with Crossfire, or SLI for that matter. It's a total false economy and more trouble than it's worth.

A 430W PSU is plenty for an RX480 if it's a decent supply. What's your CPU, actually?

I have a corsair builder series 430 PSU https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/info.asp?id=90491467

The CPU is i5 4460. I have only 1 HD installed a 1TB WD.

You're fine then for either a GTX1060 or RX480 - whichever you chose is a major upgrade so enjoy! :)

Worth mentioning that the price difference between a GTX1060 and RX480 would get you a 120GB SSD, which makes a massive difference to general PC use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

I just got an Inno3d 1060 from ocuk for €305ish, and any aftermarket (8GB) 480 is pretty much the same price, if not more, only out of stock.
    If you're not too bothered with the 4GB vs 8 GB model, I'd go with a 4GB 480 for £40 cheaper than a 1060, as TerrorFirmer says. That said I'm delighted with my 1060 and it's a good bit ahead of the 4gb 480 performance and OC-ability wise.
    Either way, you can't go too wrong, they're solid cards.
    Enjoy your new card!

Lads im about to completely throw a spanner in the works.

Im currently gaming on a 50" TV. Response time is quiet slow and colour is not to great, There is also a lot of screen tearing when playing games. At 1st I taught it was my GPU but I now realize its the TV.

Im still going to upgrade the GPU and I was hoping to pick up a Monitor on Black Friday or the Jan sales. I was looking at the AOC G2460PF https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_5?tag=amazon0c83-21&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461901857&sr=1-5&keywords=144hz+monitor

Its a 144Hz with AMD freesync.

Would it be worth getting the RX 480 with a view to buying this monitor soon? Im presumimg I will see a huge difference upgrading from a 50" Hitachi Tv with a GTX 950.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

I had the gsync version of that monitor, no complaints. It'll go very well with the RX480

Sneak wrote: »
    I had the gsync version of that monitor, no complaints. It'll go very well with the RX480

I taught G-Sync was for Nvidia cards and Freesync was for AMD cards?

I think he meant he has the same model monitor, but in the g-sync version, and he's happy with it so presumably the freesync model is the same, just minus the physical g-sync hardware.

As for the TV it's a really cheap/low-end brand, so the response time and color range is probably not great. You'll see a massive improvement with almost any decent monitor, and 144hz would be the icing on the cake for a really butter smooth experience.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

If tearing was annoying you on your TV, you'll enjoy high Hz monitors. They get rid of it without the need for any kind of syncing for the huge majority of games, I've found.

and 144hz would be the icing on the cake for a really butter smooth experience.
    Is it worth paying the extra for a 144Hz monitor? I cant imagine I would get over 100fps in most games with the RX480.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

pcuser wrote: »
    Is it worth paying the extra for a 144Hz monitor? I cant imagine I would get over 100fps in most games with the RX480.

Turn stuff down to medium, it's what I do with Overwatch to get over 120fps ;)

Also, since it's Freesync, the monitor would be changing its refresh to match your FPS; this review indicates its Freesync range is 48-144Hz.

Advertisement