Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours worried about deposit

Options
  • 23-08-2016 5:56pm

Hi. Sorry if this is a bit-long winded.

We had a handyman working at our house on Saturday 13th August. He'd done some work for us in 2014, which we'd been happy with, so no problem going with him again.

As he was working, our neighbours asked him could he do some work for them. He said he's need €300 for materials, and gave them a receipt for this. He left that evening, with our job 90% finished, and a promise to get the materials for our neighbours, and said he'd be back the following Saturday the 20th (i.e. last Saturday) to finish our work and start the neighbours job.

Last Friday, we got a text from his partner saying that he'd hurt himself and would be off his feet for six weeks. She said that they'd organise a replacement for the bit of work he had left to do on our house, and they'd be in touch later that evening.

Since then, nothing, and their phone seems switched off. I know it's only been 4 days, but we both have an uneasy feeling about it. What bothers me most is that our neighbours are potentially down €300. They are elderly and wouldn't be boardsies, so I suppose I am asking on their behalf as well.

Has anyone been through anything similar, or can offer advice? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Give the guy some time. Clearly not trying to rip anyone off.

Rackstar wrote: »
    Give the guy some time. Clearly not trying to rip anyone off.

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say "clearly"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say "clearly"?

They've done work for you previously.
    They've been in contact to tell you they are out of work due to injury.
    They are trying to get work completed for you.

Rackstar wrote: »
    They've done work for you previously.
    They've been in contact to tell you they are out of work due to injury.
    They are trying to get work completed for you.

Yes they've done work previously. But the contact seems to be drying up, and the third point is debatable.
    But I take the point, and am open to the possibility that this will work out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

If he's only 90% finished your job can we assume you haven't paid him in full yet? I'm sure he'll be back. His partner made contact with you first so his intention seems legit. They're probably just trying to sort cover and are perhaps avoiding you ( bad form but not uncommon) until they can confirm it.

• Advertisement

If he's only 90% finished your job can we assume you haven't paid him in full yet? I'm sure he'll be back. His partner made contact with you first so his intention seems legit. They're probably just trying to sort cover and are perhaps avoiding you ( bad form but not uncommon) until they can confirm it.

We paid him in full. An error in hindsight I know, but he had worked for us before, and the job is basically finished.

It's my neighbours I am more worried about. I feel guilty for 'introducing' him to them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At the moment, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If this continues for a while, then I'd start to worry.

dudara wrote: »
    At the moment, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If this continues for a while, then I'd start to worry.

Yeah I don't mind if the process takes a little while. The lack of communication bothers me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Alarm bells I'm afraid.

He had an accident and he's off his feet. Why is his partner texting you? Maybe his injuries are so severe that he can't use a phone, but I'd have been more reassured by an actual call from the man himself. They said they'd follow up but didn't. And now her phone is switched off?! It's 2016, people have their mobiles on 24/7 - unless they don't want to take calls.

Secondly, your neighbours engaged him to do their work on the strength of your recommendation. They/you have no idea who he might send as a replacement. At the very least he should have offered to refund their €300.

Call me cynical but I think you're right to be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Firstly the wife on phone thing is normal. I run a business and its very common for wives to do phoning for husbands. Secondly your neighbours have a receipt which shows to some extent that there's openness.

Remember also that if the guy does a runner ( and it's a big if ) you and your neighbour are losers. They dealt with him of their own free will. It's admirable that you are looking out for them but you have your own canoe to paddle.

Do you know where he lives ? If your neighbours want their deposit back just pass on the address as a means of contact.

All in all though it's only been four days. I'd give it at least another four !

• Advertisement

desbrook wrote: »
    Firstly the wife on phone thing is normal. I run a business and its very common for wives to do phoning for husbands. Secondly your neighbours have a receipt which shows to some extent that there's openness.

Remember also that if the guy does a runner ( and it's a big if ) you and your neighbour are losers. They dealt with him of their own free will. It's admirable that you are looking out for them but you have your own canoe to paddle.

Do you know where he lives ? If your neighbours want their deposit back just pass on the address as a means of contact.

All in all though it's only been four days. I'd give it at least another four !

Yep we have lots of contact points (mobile, email, facebook, adverts.ie, plus his business address is in the receipt he gave our neighbours). So this makes the disappearing act a bit strange. So far I've only used the mobile. I didn't want to haunt the guy if he is unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I didn't want to haunt the guy if he is unwell.
    I think that is the right idea.

It might be good to use text or email to follow up. That gives him (or his wife) the chance to respond in a time frame that works for them.

desbrook wrote: »
    Firstly the wife on phone thing is normal. I run a business and its very common for wives to do phoning for husbands.

Do you employ anyone else in your business?

If so, genuine question; if the wife of an employee texted to say "Dave isn't well, he won't be in for a while" and you heard nothing more for five days and counting, would you have the same laid-back attitude as you advise the OP to take?

I doubt it.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will keep you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Do you employ anyone else in your business?

If so, genuine question; if the wife of an employee texted to say "Dave isn't well, he won't be in for a while" and you heard nothing more for five days and counting, would you have the same laid-back attitude as you advise the OP to take?

I doubt it.

Just to clarify I meant it's very common for my male client's wives to do the phoning and make appointments for them etc. In many cases the guys are self employed tradesmen.
    An employee calling in sick is totally different to the situation here. Also my attitude was hardly laid back. I felt the OP should pass the guys address to the neighbours and give it just four more days for themselves.

Call me cynical but I think you're right to be concerned.

You were cynical and you were correct.

He's disappeared. No reply to emails, texts, phone calls.

Not sure where to go next with this, but I won't be letting it go.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Do you know where the gent in question lives ? If convenient, I would make a few passes around the area to see if he is around and maybe ask a few of his neighbours if he is still about. Not everyone has time to do this but it might close the issue definitively if you find that he is actually gone.

I would also report this to the Gardaí - for the record.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Do you know where the gent in question lives ? If convenient, I would make a few passes around the area to see if he is around and maybe ask a few of his neighbours if he is still about. Not everyone has time to do this but it might close the issue definitively if you find that he is actually gone.

I would also report this to the Gardaí - for the record.

Thanks Nutley. Yes, I think his address is on the receipt he gave our neighbours.

Driving around his area looking for him is not especially appealing for a couple of reasons...I'll leave it at that.

I usually love being proved right, but not in this case. What a mess.

Not sure where you go either. Gardai are likely to view it as a civil matter and direct you to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I usually love being proved right, but not in this case. What a mess.

Not sure where you go either. Gardai are likely to view it as a civil matter and direct you to your solicitor.

It is indeed a civil matter.

It may also be a criminal matter if the facts show deliberate intent or knowledge on the part of the suspect.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath for this update, so here it is :)

The guy had a genuine and serious reason for going AWOL. He made contact with me a couple of weeks ago and I am quite optimistic about getting the neighbours refunded. Things are moving slowly due to reasons that are outside his control. So hopefully a good ending is in sight

Thank you all for your input

Advertisement