Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin traffic on Tuesday's

Options
  • 23-08-2016 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Is it me or is traffic always more congested on Tuesday's? I've lived and worked in Dublin now for 13 months.

Every single Tuesday we have to leave 20 mins earlier than every other day.

What causes this?
    Both going to and coming from the city. Always 20 mins more each way on a Tuesday.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It takes you 20 minutes longer when you leave 20 minutes earlier?
    Maybe leave on time and you'll arrive on time? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I notice a definite drop off Monday and Friday... but can't remember much difference Tuesday - Thursday...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Same for me. Traffic on Tuesdays is the worst day for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

People who have hangovers on a Monday morning may not drive so take the bus others may pull a Monday morning sickie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Live drive on Dublin city fm have always referred to them as two gear Tuesdays. Statistically the day people are most likely to be in work apparently. And definitely true, only Thursday evenings come close to that level of traffic congestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Living West of the city I find Friday evenings outbound worst of all, but Tuesdays inbound would usually be the worst. Elongated weekends off and yes, hangovers / fake sickness would have impacts on Monday, and by Wednesday some people are gone for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lots of people out collection their money from their government jobs id say

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've been saying this for the past 10 years :D Many don't believe me. I've had arguments with taxi drivers over it! But Tuesday morning traffic sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Statistically you will have less people in work on Mondays and Fridays; either because they're taking a holiday day off either side of the weekend, or because they work shorter weeks.

It's rare that someone wil take a day off midweek or work a split week (e.g. Mon/Tues/Fri) unless they're shift workers. Lots of people on 3-day weeks prefer Tuesday - Thursday for obvious reasons.

Hence Monday and Friday are the quietest days. Though I'd say Friday way more than Monday. A wet Monday morning in October can be mental - people who are tired from a busy weekend have no interest in cycling or bussing to work and will jump in the car.

Interestingly no studies have found that people take more sick days either side of the weekend. A recent on from the UK suggests that Tuesday is the worst day for unscheduled leave, but overall there's no major peak days for it, it's pretty even across the whole week.

Advertisement