Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Street Development Granted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Great stuff, hopefully next stage moves along nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Nama & fine Gael politicians developing together , something stinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Nama & fine Gael politicians developing together , something stinks!

I think what stinks is they are taking credit for getting to this stage. What they did in reality is very debatable. Sure if you even read the article it say “NAMA’s function is to realise the greatest return to the taxpayer”. Getting planning permission for the site increases the sites value, they are just doing their job and what they planned to do all along. So what exactly Cllr. Cummins did to deserve sticking his name on it I would love to know.

Saying that it is great news and exactly what the city centre needs. Fingers crossed there will be no appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Brendan McCann still around objecting to stuff? Hopefully he lets this one goes as the city needs these jobs badly!

BBM77 wrote: »
    I think what stinks is they are taking credit for getting to this stage. What they did in reality is very debatable. Sure if you even read the article it say “NAMA’s function is to realise the greatest return to the taxpayer”. Getting planning permission for the site increases the sites value, they are just doing their job and what they planned to do all along. So what exactly Cllr. Cummins did to deserve sticking his name on it I would love to know.

Saying that it is great news and exactly what the city centre needs. Fingers crossed there will be no appeals.

I think some being a bit too suspicious/cynical on this front, Cummins was mayor when this push kicked off..he is probably the councillor with his name closest to it, his name, not FG.my opinion would be the council did most the work to get to this stage and it is highly unlikely nama would have done this without council developing plans, pushing it, etc.so credit deserved primarily to council and some to Cummins.maybe we will find out exactly who did what but that is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Lots of historical building remains are in the area. Should be preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hopefully there will be some serious archaeology done in the area. Awaits with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bluezar wrote: »
    Brendan McCann still around objecting to stuff? Hopefully he lets this one goes as the city needs these jobs badly!

Not heard a peep from him for years, presumably as nothing was being built! :p

Anyway great news, the donuting of Waterford has been a massive strategic failure of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not heard a peep from him for years, presumably as nothing was being built! :p

Anyway great news, the donuting of Waterford has been a massive strategic failure of the last 20 years.

There is a verb 'to donut'? What does it mean?

The city development has come around the edges - Williamstown/Ardkeen, Six Cross Roads, Ferrybank (cough) etc rather than in the middle.

• Advertisement

The city development has come around the edges - Williamstown/Ardkeen, Six Cross Roads, Ferrybank (cough) etc rather than in the middle.

IMO you are way off thinking there is a doughnut development effect in Waterford, there is very little or nothing in especially 6 cross roads or ferrybank which most would say shouldn't have happened there or should have happened only in city centre.obviously we all know ferrybank empty shopping centre should never have been allowed by kk co.co.having the likes of tesco/aldi etc and some hairdressers, chippers, betting shops do not constitute doughnut development in my opinion anyway.probably next in ardkeen should be in city..can't think anything else.

Guess what?

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/9683-disappointment-for-waterford-again-as-michael-street-planning-deferred-9683.html
    There was big disappointment in Waterford city and county council circles at the decision by An Bord Pleanala to defer a decision on the granting of planning permission to a major commercial development in the Michael Street area of Waterford. The multi-million pound development was set to rejuvenate this part of the city which has a large derelict appearance in the middle of its location. The decision was appealed to An Board Pleanala when Waterford City and County Council granted planning permission subject to conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

It's a short delay, nothing to panic about imo. Usually, refusals are issued quite quickly; I would interpret a delay as a positive. I would put a large wager on this being granted. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OrlaMurf

Hi everyone, I see there's a lot of work going on around the apple market, there are talks of roofing this area, does anyone have any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Lots of historical building remains are in the area. Should be preserved.

Quite an amount of hysterical looking buildings in the area but for whom or what reason should they be preserved? I'm all for preservation but at what cost to the future of the city? I took a stroll around the town yesterday and it is tired and faded looking. It needs serious investment and it needs great care and thought before any sod is lifted.

I agree, the shoddy shop fronts are a genuine eye sore. Dunno how much is being spent on the Apple Market but the council could so worse than spent a couple of million on the application of paint, wood, slate and lentils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I agree, the shoddy shop fronts are a genuine eye sore. Dunno how much is being spent on the Apple Market but the council could so worse than spent a couple of million on the application of paint, wood, slate and lentils

Where specifically to Harry?

I personally think that compulsory purchase orders should be placed on both business and residential properties. Ballybricken/Barrack Street to at least Morrissons Road should be levelled. It has every appearance of inner city and doesn't do the city any favours!

New homes should be built and not like those built on the Manor!
    Let's try to construct something with a touch of class about it!
    Something in the style of the Edwardian/Georgian era.

Where to start? Well Ballybroken is in right state to my eyes esp the electrical retailer on the corner (forgotten it's name) - has anything happened with Besco?

The whole of Johns Street/Michael Street needs work and you'd hope with the Apple market development they'll be a push on there anyway.

Where specifically to Harry?

I personally think that compulsory purchase orders should be placed on both business and residential properties. Ballybricken/Barrack Street to at least Morrissons Road should be levelled. It has every appearance of inner city and doesn't do the city any favours!

New homes should be built and not like those built on the Manor!
    Let's try to construct something with a touch of class about it!
    Something in the style of the Edwardian/Georgian era.

This thread has just turned bizarre!

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    This thread has just turned bizarre!

I know, some of the posts you'd read on here look like they were written by people born yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Fantastic News for the City An Bord Plenála has granted planning to the Michael Street Development !

https://www.facebook.com/johncumminswaterford/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/247264.htm

Jambo wrote: »
    Fantastic News for the City An Bord Plenála has granted planning to the Michael Street Development !

https://www.facebook.com/johncumminswaterford/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/247264.htm

Great news and the only change was to add an additional pedestrian entrance. Shows the type of objections that were submitted. Credit to the city and county council for getting the planning correct from their end to speed things through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Was this the objection the stall traders had yeah?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was this the objection the stall traders had yeah?

No some guy from Kilkenny or Carlow I think.

Anyone who lives outside the location (say 5 KM) that is subject to PP should be told to **** off. Another reason to extend the City boundary!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I seem to remember hearing or reading that once planning was secured the site with planning would be sold as a going concern to the highest bidder !

Can anyone verify this or is it a case that NAMA are going to develop the site ?

Jambo wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing or reading that once planning was secured the site with planning would be sold as a going concern to the highest bidder !

Can anyone verify this or is it a case that NAMA are going to develop the site ?

Think that about right , need private investment, don't know if nama would take on 100% of investment, they have done similar in past elsewhere but its unclear.still, if this was your investment style, its looking well, planning in bag, design, council and nama support,etc etc

Pg 18 of the Inspector’s Report http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/247/R247264.pdf
    The retail need for the development is questioned. International multiple stores would find other locations in Waterford if local retail spend and footfall warranted their arrival. Wages are lower in Waterford than in the rest of the country and unemployment is higher. There are several empty retail units in the nearby Railway Square development and in the City Square shopping centre. The Broad Street centre has been closed for several years and there are empty units at a centre in Patrick Street and the George Street shopping centre. There are two large unused shopping centres less than a mile away in the Ferrybank area. There are other locations close to Waterford city centre that would be more suitable for the proposed scheme, such as the SDZ at North Quays.

I was having a quick look through the Inspector’s Report and the section above from the appeals submitted is just incredible, I mean WOW. Apparently the Broad Street centre has been closed for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The piece from the submitted appeal as quoted by BBM77 is just about typical of the idiocy that has retarded the growth of the city over the past generation. Head banger and silly stuff. We had enough of that to last a life time from a WIT lecturer. But, vacant shopping centres in Ferrybank,where the planning folly of Kilkenny Co Co is obvious, as a rationale for not developing some of the most decrepit and obsolete areas in Waterford city? Lets use them and further undermine the city centre. You could not make it up.

Advertisement