Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks between Knocknacarra & Barna

Options
  • 23-08-2016 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

We are now into the second week of roadworks between Knocknacara & Barna. For any of you that have been stuck in the queue I have some bad news. The queues have been much longer than necessary because no one had the cop on to adjust the lights to suit the traffic flow.

The lights are permanently on 50:50 & according to one of the workers they can't be changed despite the manual, that I googled, suggesting at they can.

It's worry that we trust these guys to install a sewer but they can't see that, during the rush hour, the lights need changing to say 70:30. We have the Council apologising for delays when a 2 minute look at the traffic could of greatly reduced them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Im not in the area at that hours of the morning but are they going to be finished by the time the schools are back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Im not in the area at that hours of the morning but are they going to be finished by the time the schools are back?

Supposed to be. I phoned the County Council & they said that the roadworks were the responsibility of the City Council. The City Council said the opposite :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Discodog wrote: »
    Supposed to be. I phoned the County Council & they said that the roadworks were the responsibility of the City Council. The City Council said the opposite :pac:

Classic council move 😂

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

We are now into the second week of roadworks between Knocknacara & Barna. For any of you that have been stuck in the queue I have some bad news. The queues have been much longer than necessary because no one had the cop on to adjust the lights to suit the traffic flow.

The lights are permanently on 50:50 & according to one of the workers they can't be changed despite the manual, that I googled, suggesting at they can.

It's worry that we trust these guys to install a sewer but they can't see that, during the rush hour, the lights need changing to say 70:30. We have the Council apologising for delays when a 2 minute look at the traffic could of greatly reduced them.

y dont u take de shortcut lik ever1 else, save ursel a few miles a day

XR3i wrote: »
    y dont u take de shortcut lik ever1 else, save ursel a few miles a day

There isn't one. The bog road is longer & slower :)

• Advertisement

There isn't one. The bog road is longer & slower :)

i suppose if ur driving a " " normal" " car :pac:

i suppose if ur driving a " " normal" " car :pac:

A fast boat would be quicker :pac:

Unless it's low tide :)

A fast boat would be quicker :pac:

Unless it's low tide :)

i'll give ya a tip for free, get out of bed 3 hours earlier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's the County Council' problem as it is happening in their administrative area.
    Also GalwayCounty forum is that way *points*

i'll give ya a tip for free, get out of bed 3 hours earlier

You mean at midday :pac: I usually avoid the rush hours but sometimes it's not possible.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's the County Council' problem as it is happening in their administrative area.
    Also GalwayCounty forum is that way *points*

But most of the people affected work in the City ;)

But most of the people affected work in the City ;)
    and live in the county

and live in the county

Not starting one of "those" threads. We are all supposed to be friends now & nice to each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Wouldnt be a prob if we had a bypass...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

galah wrote: »
    Wouldnt be a prob if we had a bypass...:pac:

Or a GLUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

or cycled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Or walk.

In our bare feet.*

*Crocs®™© optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

Look on the bright side - at least you are not commuting from Moycullen where we are now probably in our 20th consecutive month of traffic disruption. Currently lights at Bushypark church - never ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Send all the traffic lights to Leitrim. They're nothing but trouble.

Roundabouts! That's the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title change from
    Galway Council really grinding my gears
    to
    so it's clear what this thread is about and maybe it won't descend into the usual bash all the traffic and all the council, maybe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

biko wrote: »
    maybe it won't descend into the usual bash all the traffic and all the council, maybe..

I wonder what odds Paddy Powers is giving on bets... :P

Interestingly enough, I've experienced no delays whatsoever coming from town through Barna at 8.45am every morning.

Interestingly enough, I've experienced no delays whatsoever coming from town through Barna at 8.45am every morning.

Maybe, with only supposedly a few days to go, they have phased the lights properly. The test will be the queue coming out of town in the evening rush.

biko wrote: »
    Title change from
    Galway Council really grinding my gears
    to
    so it's clear what this thread is about and maybe it won't descend into the usual bash all the traffic and all the council, maybe..

The reason for the title was that the failure to phase the lights properly is totally the fault of the Council. If it's happened here then I suspect that it's happening all over the City & County.

It's a simple step to include traffic light phasing in the specification of the job.

weshtawake wrote: »
    Look on the bright side - at least you are not commuting from Moycullen where we are now probably in our 20th consecutive month of traffic disruption. Currently lights at Bushypark church - never ending!

Check the timing on the lights. If you queue & then see that far less people are queuing in the other direction, then the phasing is wrong.

Finally spoke to the right people. The roadworks are not being conducted by the Council. But, before I am accused of Council bashing, it appears that the Council don't include allowing for rush hours in the traffic plan that a contractor submits.

Hopefully now this will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That will change soon enough once schools are back.

Children are the cause of all our traffic problems.

Finally spoke to the right people. The roadworks are not being conducted by the Council. But, before I am accused of Council bashing, it appears that the Council don't include allowing for rush hours in the traffic plan that a contractor submits.
    Hopefully now this will change.
    Which Council, eh?

Which Council, eh?

If you read back you will see that neither knew who was doing the work. The Contractors should have clear signage but they didn't. In this case the County Council should inspect the works & ensure that they are being carried out correctly. Irrespective of who carries out the work the relevant Council have overall responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

A simple remedy, which was used by careys on the headford road project at luimnagh, is to have two operatives, one at each end with two way communication. As traffic from one direction increased the operative on that end effectively overrode the sequence to aid faster traffic flow.
    Basically a manual stop-go at peak rush hour with traffic light control at off peak hours.

*Awaits applause......

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote: »
    A simple remedy, which was used by careys on the headford road project at luimnagh, is to have two operatives, one at each end with two way communication. As traffic from one direction increased the operative on that end effectively overrode the sequence to aid faster traffic flow.
    Basically a manual stop-go at peak rush hour with traffic light control at off peak hours.

*Awaits applause......

That's how it should be done but it involves more labour & a special think called common sense ☺️

Advertisement