Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get home? Glasnevin to Sutton.

Options
  • 23-08-2016 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    I have been offered a job in glasnevin.
    It is at harts corner.
    I will be living at Sutton cross
    I will start work at 830 9 or 930
    And finish at 430 5 530 or occasional 7.
    What is the best way for me to get to and from work?
    I could take the r108 which I believe is the ballymum road to the m 50 and then take the n32.
    Or else go up the m1 to the m50 and then on to the n32
    Is this very congested?
    Will I have to pay a toll?
    Is there any alternatives or any rat runs here.
    Or some other route?
    Or else the dart to ????? Connolly? And then dublin bike it to harts corner?
    Am I crazy and should I look for another job?
    I don't want to spend more than an hour in total in my car everyday.
    Maybe I could do an excercise class in glasnevin before I go home and therefore avoid the traffic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dart and bus or a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Jawgap wrote: »
    Dart and bus or a bike?

Ok so dart to .... Connolly?
    Which bus will bring me from Connolly to harts corner?

Bike by itself..... Too long for me, but I would be happy to cycle from Connolly to harts corner.is there a dublin bike station in Connolly and harts corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wesser wrote: »

Bike by itself..... Too long for me, but I would be happy to cycle from Connolly to harts corner.is there a dublin bike station in Connolly and harts corner?

Tara Street and #83 from Westmoreland Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bike would be less than the hour you'd spend in your class.

Nearest db is the Mater. 15 minute walk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: OP, I've moved this into the Dublin City forum which covers Glasnevin and Sutton, so you're likely to get more replies in here.
    There is still a link to the thread in the Dublin County North forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I live close to where you'd be working, I would probably drive down the coast road via Clontarf, into Fairview, go right at the top of Fairview, follow the road around until you hit Drumcondra, take the left, take the right at Fagans, and you're onto Botanic Ave which is Glasnevin.

However, I don't know what the traffic would be like at rush hour on that route, guessing not brilliant.

Another option would be DART to Connolly, Dublin Bikes to the Mater, and walk from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

bump!!

Any thoughts from anyone in the driving options?

Is this a nighare journey.?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you have parking where you'll be working?
    It's not a nightmare, but you'll be spending plenty time in your car.
    I think the DART to Tara St and 83 (or the 4 or 9 from O'Connell Street) out from Westmoreland Street (plus reverse) as suggested by Jawgap is the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Given the pending industrial disputes on the Bus and Dart Services and the soon onset of the poorer weather in the Autumn / Winter period I would start off using the car.

As previous posters have mentioned there are several options but my preference would be the N.32 / M 50 - Ballymun exit and onto Glasnevin. It avoids all the city centre congestion black spots. Also the Clontarf / Dollymount Road is severely restricted due to cycle lane works--- this is forcing traffic onto the Howth Road --- so the N32 / M50 is the standout option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bump!!

Any thoughts from anyone in the driving options?

Is this a nighare journey.?

Nope. Dead handy. Pain in the hole paying for parking when you get there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

dart to Connolly dart to Drumcondra and walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Dart line doesn't go to Drumcondra. The inter city rail line does & all trains don't stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Jawgap wrote: »
    Tara Street and #83 from Westmoreland Street.

A little point to remember re. 83. For a northside bus it stupidly goes down the southside quays as far as Church st.

This results in regular delays that other buses heading via Harts Corner don't encounter ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If I was you doing that journey in the car I'd take the M50 and get off at either Santry/Ballymun exit, follow the straight road all the way down Ballymun road, and then onto botanic road and park somewhere around Margarite Rd for free :

2-12 Marguerite Rd

https://goo.gl/maps/J7GzZaJE4gD2

You are literally a 5 minute walk from Harts Corner, and the car is generally safe once you don't block the residents... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Trond wrote: »
    A little point to remember re. 83. For a northside bus it stupidly goes down the southside quays as far as Church st.

This results in regular delays that other buses heading via Harts Corner don't encounter ...

Why is it "stupid"?

One of the most common complaints about cross-city buses is that every bus goes via O'Connell St - having a different option is a positive thing.

OP - using public transport (and not walking or cycling), bus routes 9, 40, 83, 83a and 140 will all take you to Hart's Corner from Westmoreland St if you get off the DART at Tara St.

Route 4 also operates to Harts Corner stopping on O'Connell Street.

Alternatively use DART to Connolly and Commuter Rail to Drumcondra and walk from there.

Printed timetables are here:
    DART: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dart_commuter_-_web.pdf

Maynooth Line:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/14_m3_parkway_maynooth_longford.pdf

lxflyer wrote: »
    Why is it "stupid"?

One of the most common complaints about cross-city buses is that every bus goes via O'Connell St - having a different option is a positive thing.

OP - using public transport (and not walking or cycling), bus routes 9, 40, 83, 83a and 140 will all take you to Hart's Corner from Westmoreland St if you get off the DART at Tara St.

Route 4 also operates to Harts Corner stopping on O'Connell Street.

Alternatively use DART to Connolly and Commuter Rail to Drumcondra and walk from there.

Printed timetables are here:
    DART: http://www.irishrail.ie/media/dart_commuter_-_web.pdf

Maynooth Line:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/14_m3_parkway_maynooth_longford.pdf

Basically because its a northside bus bound for Finglas that gives you the joys of south side traffic on the quays EVERY single evening. All for the sake of one bus stop (that was never on the route previously). Madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dart+bike - leave a cheap bike at Clontarf Rd. Dart station, gradually work up to cycling the full distance, it's only 13K you'd do it in 30-40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Trond wrote: »
    Basically because its a northside bus bound for Finglas that gives you the joys of south side traffic on the quays EVERY single evening. All for the sake of one bus stop (that was never on the route previously). Madness really.

And also serves Church Street. How else would you propose it gets to Church Street other than along the Quays? Do you think those people are less deserving of a bus service than others?

As I said above, why should every northside bus go via O'Connell Street?

Repeatedly posters on this board have complained about the fact that so many bus routes all go via OCS yet you seem to think otherwise?

Possibly going off topic at this point but v quickly....

Ask any resident from Glasnevin/Finglas who uses this service and did before the re-route and you'll see why its was a poor move. At the time it was rerouted the area had 2 other routes that went up O Connell St. and served the area. Now they've none. (19 gone completely & 13a re-rooted).

I do understand the Church st. argument but after The Luas was build on its original route down Middles Abbey St. the 83 operated via Constitution Hill before it went down the Quays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement