Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education

Options
  • 23-08-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all! I hope someone can help. I am looking to return to education. I have been in unskilled employed since leaving secondary school over 10 years ago, and only now want to go back to education (beginning in September 2017). I am wondering what the story is with allowances/grants etc? I would love to return to a full time course in education, but could not afford it with some form of financial aid. Does anyone know what I would be entitled to? If anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Not sure if much has changed since I did mine, but you have to be in receipt of a welfare payment for a certain period of time - 9 months (234 days) for 3rd level. They are very strict on that time period and will not, or very rarely, give any leeway. You can read info on it here which should help.

If you are on BTEA, you may be able to get an additional grant from SUSI. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get the fees paid, but not the maintenance grant. Rule is, you can't have BTEA and the maintenance grant.

Also, depending on what welfare payment you have, BTEA may not be the best option and applying to SUSI may give you a better payment. Some examples of the differences are here. Though, one thing about the BTEA, is that it was very reliable for me, while others on SUSI were going nuts trying to get the cash.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

colleges also provide some financial assistance to students once you are registered

defo check your entitlements. BTEA is very strict.

Could i also advise you to go to some open days and maybe research some access programmes. Funding is important and essential but you dont want to undertake a programme that may not be for you.

If you have been out of education for a while that jump back in can be challenging and an access programme can help.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,300 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pauly1992 wrote: »
    Hi all! I hope someone can help. I am looking to return to education. I have been in unskilled employed since leaving secondary school over 10 years ago

You sure about that? Two years ago you were a student.

Two weeks ago you were a teacher.

Earlier today you were 24 and therefore unlikely to have left school 10 years ago.

So would you care to get your story straight or should I just siteban you for trolling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pauly1992

I was asking for a relative, but it was easier to say "I" when asking the question. Unsure why you felt the need to go and look up all my previous posts. Seems a bit strange if i'm to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pauly1992 wrote: »
    Seems a bit strange if i'm to be honest.

Well, your posts do. What's the craic? A Walter Mitty thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

I applied for "Back to Education Allowance" for PLC level 6 course and hopefully it will get approved, my traveling expenses to college is 80 euros per week. Is that possible to get help with my traveling expenses to college from Susi or somewhere else. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mayoman007

I applied for "Back to Education Allowance" for PLC level 6 course and hopefully it will get approved, my traveling expenses to college is 80 euros per week. Is that possible to get help with my traveling expenses to college from Susi or somewhere else? Thanks

Advertisement