Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadbaiting questions.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Reedsie wrote: »
    Mono is fine. If it's old you might want to replace it but that's another issue.

The line shouldn't keep coming out. Cast out first. Put your rod on the rests and reel in until you feel it tighten up to the lead. With it tight clip the line into the alarm and open the bail arm, so it looks like this:

bb.jpg

I'll try that thanks again,

The alarm I have is that the line catcher doesn't roatate liek the picture I'll try and the lake, tomorrow I'll post an update

Many thanks for the all help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The line just kept coming out, I'll try at the lake tomorrow! Also it's oldish 20pb mono I was told it was better than braid.

Thanks.
    dump ur line, buy a new spool of line at least 15lb mono its only 5 or 6 euro.. if ur new to deadbaiting go heavier,i used 50lb braid, some think its overkill i dont, most pikers i know use braid at at least 30lb breaking strain. When i hook a pike i no the lines not gonna snap. Itll cut thru weed and lily pads no problem. the last thing you want is a pike swimming round with ur trace hanging out of its mouth!!

dump ur line, buy a new spool of line at least 15lb mono its only 5 or 6 euro.. if ur new to deadbaiting go heavier,i used 50lb braid, some think its overkill i dont, most pikers i know use braid at at least 30lb breaking strain. When i hook a pike i no the lines not gonna snap. Itll cut thru weed and lily pads no problem. the last thing you want is a pike swimming round with ur trace hanging out of its mouth!!

To be honest it's I've never used it, it was just around on a new spool.. But I've herd mono gets worse over the years, I'll try geting new line.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I'll try that thanks again,

The alarm I have is that the line catcher doesn't roatate liek the picture I'll try and the lake, tomorrow I'll post an update

That wouldn't matter. There's a video here of your alarm, it might be worth a watch.

That wouldn't matter. There's a video here of your alarm, it might be worth a watch.

Worked fine today at the lake! Had 7 all on lures realised obviously, had 2 runs in the deadbait, I lost both and I had one on for a few seconds but jumped and went out. Also I lost the whole rig with ledger on weed as the lake I fish is full of ground weed, nearly every time I reeled in to move the deadbait was full of weed. I didn't have the popups with me stupid I know I just forget em!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

how do people find the rear "drop off" style bite alarms? one of my mates has one, I was never fond of it. I use the alarms that are in front of the reel, as I used them for carp and tench as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

i wouldnt mind getting them.. there quite expensive tho, theres a fella in england that makes them , billys back biters there called. you have ur back biter and alarm as one unit. i was talkin to a fella that has one and he reckons they're the buisness!!

Any solutions lads to my last post ?

Don't want to be loosing rigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Any solutions lads to my last post ?

Don't want to be loosing rigs!

If you fish in weed, You'l loose gear, its Parr for the course.
    You can try and increase your chance of getting gear back by:

-Using stronger braid. River piker uses 80lb to increase the chance of getting his pricy lures back.

-use stronger traces to go with your stronger braid.

-use finer trebble hooks. Owner trebble hooks are great. Super sharp, strong but fine enough that there's a chance that if one gets caught in a big snag, it will bend. You can bend it back when you reel in.

These are all only going to increase your chances of getting your gear back from a snag but if it gets badly snagged, it doesn't matter what gear you have, it will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

A friend of mine uses this method when he gets badly snagged and I have to say it works!

https://youtu.be/SI9aMpZX22w

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    If you fish in weed, You'l loose gear, its Parr for the course.
    You can try and increase your chance of getting gear back by:

-Using stronger braid. River piker uses 80lb to increase the chance of getting his pricy lures back.

-use stronger traces to go with your stronger braid.

-use finer trebble hooks. Owner trebble hooks are great. Super sharp, strong but fine enough that there's a chance that if one gets caught in a big snag, it will bend. You can bend it back when you reel in.

These are all only going to increase your chances of getting your gear back from a snag but if it gets badly snagged, it doesn't matter what gear you have, it will be lost.

Thanks for the tips,

I meant I lost my deadbait rig, the exact one reddie posted! Also everytime I reeled in the deadbait it was full of weed, I didn't have the popups with me that day!

I've been using 40lb power pro for lures
    30lb trace berkley
    I've never losed a lure there normally because I fish with ss sinkers!

Thanks.

If there's a load of weed on the bottom and you can't find a clear patch then you need to fish under a float and suspend the bait above the weed, out of harm's way.

If there's a load of weed on the bottom and you can't find a clear patch then you need to fish under a float and suspend the bait above the weed, out of harm's way.

I have found one patch that's fairly weedless, would a popup not solve this as the weed is just on the bottom usually! What float rig would you suggest the one I was using isn't that great. For rivers and lakes?

Thanks.

I have found one patch that's fairly weedless, would a popup not solve this as the weed is just on the bottom usually! What float rig would you suggest the one I was using isn't that great. For rivers and lakes?

Thanks.

I was looking at this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHrNcva6fc

What do ye lads think? It makes sense, he talks about the rig around 4 mins in the video! I could still use the alarm.

Update

Fished with this rig at my local river with a weedy bottom,

Rig
    Deadbait trace
    Plastic ball to protect the line
    Swivel with around 5 or 7 inches with 20lb and a knot to weaken the line with a weight or ledger
    Mackerel
    Popup.

I tried that wound knot and it worked a treat! When I wasn't fishing with a popup I was getting loads of weed know I'm not getting any weed at all! I had to hold the rod high for the weight to sink! And then I felt the weight hit the bottom, rig it to the alarm!

Good stuff. Mick Brown won't put you too far wrong.

Advertisement