Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and giving birth in Ireland (Expats / EU Resident)

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am wondering what fees are associated with pregnancy and giving birth in Ireland for an expat or EU national. My husband (French) and I (Canadian with French residency) are in Ireland temporarily for the upcoming 18 months. We are hoping to get pregnant asap and need to think ahead to the fees associated with this in Ireland. Currently we have only our European Health Insurance Card (from France) and we are not sure where to get information on the fees associated with pregnancy care and giving birth here. We don't know if this is something that will be covered with our European Health card or if we need to buy private insurance here or if private insurance would even cover that. Any advice is appreciated. FYI, my husband is a student in Ireland and currently not working. I'm employed by a Canadian company which does not provide insurance while I'm here.

Thanks for any suggestions / advice on this topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

None I would think. You have to be ordinarily resident here, which is already living here or intending to stay a year. They seem fairly lax. I got my hospital Letter and it said proof of residency so i got a letter from my Landlord- when I tried to hand it in they looked at me like I was mad- said that's only for people who don't usually live here. Not sure how they knew I did but having an address seems sufficient. I know a guy on a student visa who brought his already pregnant wife over from China and she got full care no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kramer76

Thanks for your reply. I did come across an article in my research yesterday which is also fairly recent information (update March 2016). I would post the link but as I'm a new user on the boards, I am not allowed to share links. Here are the basics in case anyone else is wondering:

The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme provides an agreed programme of care to all expectant mothers who are ordinarily resident in Ireland. This service is provided by a family doctor (GP) of your choice and a hospital obstetrician. You are entitled to this service even if you do not have a medical card or GP visit card. Virtually all GPs have agreements with the Health Service Executive (HSE) to provide these services; they do not have to be part of the medical card scheme.

The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician.

On your first pregnancy, the GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 5 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GP and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation. For subsequent pregnancies you will have an initial examination and a further 6 examinations.

If you have a significant illness, for example, diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP.

After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

Charges
    The mother is entitled to free in-patient, out-patient and accident and emergency/casualty services in public hospitals in respect of the pregnancy and the birth and is not liable for any of the hospital charges.

So I guess for basic prenatal and delivery services it is covered in the public system. Otherwise, for private care, obviously have to pay!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had the public system for my pregnancy, and it was fine - I cant fault the care I got. The only downside was sharing a crowded ward, but that's manageable if you have a vaginal birth and are home in a day or two. I had a section and was in for 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kramer76

Thanks for your reply, Neyite. Good to know.

Advertisement