Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I'm in trouble (Electrics)

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Quick synopsis of my current issue(s);

Van battery won't hold charge. I can start the camper by jump leads but goes flat by the following day even after bringing the van for a good spin.
    Leisure Battery won't charge at all. Pumps, lights work on hook-up or when engine is running but soon as neither is applied the charge level indicator shows zero.
    Water heater won't work, light just flashes regardless of source, manual troubleshooting guide tells me it's a low-voltage alarm so I'm guessing that's related to the leisure battery issue.

Multimeter shows 13.5v on leisure battery poles when hooked up, 8.0 volts when disconnected so I'm thinking it's had it?

Question; Would a bet leisure battery draw down the van battery?
    Or do/might I have deeper issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Mugser wrote: »
    Quick synopsis of my current issue(s);

Van battery won't hold charge. I can start the camper by jump leads but goes flat by the following day even after bringing the van for a good spin.
    Leisure Battery won't charge at all. Pumps, lights work on hook-up or when engine is running but soon as neither is applied the charge level indicator shows zero.
    Water heater won't work, light just flashes regardless of source, manual troubleshooting guide tells me it's a low-voltage alarm so I'm guessing that's related to the leisure battery issue.

Multimeter shows 13.5v on leisure battery poles when hooked up, 8.0 volts when disconnected so I'm thinking it's had it?

Question; Would a bet leisure battery draw down the van battery?
    Or do/might I have deeper issues?

How long did you leave the batteries flat for, they are irreversibly damaged when discharged to that extent and if left in a discharged state they are scrap.

It would take 15 hours to 99% charge a 100Ah battery driving around won't cut it.

If the leisure battery is reading 8v disconnected and it has been on charge then its likely you have shorted cells, if you continue to try to charge it with shorted cells you can have smoke / fire and a nice hydrogen explosion to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

How long did you leave the batteries flat for, they are irreversibly damaged when discharged to that extent and if left in a discharged state they are scrap.

The leisure battery has been flat probably for a fortnight now, only noticed it this weekend gone though.
    It would take 15 hours to 99% charge a 100Ah battery driving around won't cut it.
    Had the van hooked up at home from Sunday evening till this afternoon. Will take out the van battery and hook it up to the charger in the shed.
    If the leisure battery is reading 8v disconnected and it has been on charge then its likely you have shorted cells, if you continue to try to charge it with shorted cells you can have smoke / fire and a nice hydrogen explosion to boot.

Sounds scary!! I've completely disconnected it now, and put it in the shed too!!

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

Sounds like you need 2 new batteries.

The dodos are worth €0.50 per kilo to the scrap man.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Update;
    Other things in life took priority so only getting back to this now lately.
    Both batteries have been replaced. \holding charge and not being drawn down when van is not in use. Van starts first turn of the key.. but the truama water heater (think is a c3400??) still wont start. LED's just blink for a sec is all, is there a reset procedure I'm wondering. the search continues.... There's always something!!

Advertisement