Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funboard or shortboard?

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am thinking of buying a surfboard but I don't know what type to buy.
    I have done many surf lessons (at least once a week for the past two summers) but they all have been on foamboards. the instructors have said that I'm ready to advance.
    I plan to surf once a week now but stop lessons until the summer again. When I return to lessons I will use the board I buy.
    I don't know whether to buy a shortboard (?) or a longboard (i was thinking maybe a minimal). I want a board that will allow me to advance a lot.

I'm female, 5'9 and 55kg.

What do you think I should buy? And what size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Sin.iad wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a surfboard but I don't know what type to buy.
    I have done many surf lessons (at least once a week for the past two summers) but they all have been on foamboards. the instructors have said that I'm ready to advance.
    I plan to surf once a week now but stop lessons until the summer again. When I return to lessons I will use the board I buy.
    I don't know whether to buy a shortboard (?) or a longboard (i was thinking maybe a minimal). I want a board that will allow me to advance a lot.

I'm female, 5'9 and 55kg.

What do you think I should buy? And what size?

Surfing irregularly you're probably better off going for the minimal, especially having never surfed a fibreglass board. As for size I've never surfed a longboard but I'd imagine 7ft would be okay?

I started on a shortboard and my only advice for that would be if you do go down this route make sure the board you get is wide and has quite a high volume of foam - and be prepared for lots and lots of frustrating sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sin.iad

Thank you!!! I think I'll get the Minimal!

Advertisement