Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave 32 weeks pregnant

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or similar experience? I'm 32 weeks pregnant and really struggling with work, 5 days a week, 2 and a half hour round commute, I've been getting bad cramps that feel like period pains and bump is really tight, I've also shooting pain in my pelvis if I'm walking for more than 10 minutes, not sleeping at night from the pains and just exhausted, I don't know if it's hormones or what but I'm breaking down in tears every evening and just sick with worry but I feel so guilty if I was to go on sick leave, should I keep trying to push through the days? I'm just afraid how my boss will react and deep down I'm just too scared to tell them but I'm really struggling, any advice? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can you take a rest for a few days and see how you go? Also talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Petal765

fits wrote: »
    Can you take a rest for a few days and see how you go? Also talk to your doctor.

I took a few days off and it definitely helped, talked with my doctor too a few days ago and was advised it would be better to stay off work but I'm worried how work would react to being off work so early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

You sound exactly like my friend. She was struggling with the commute in trimester 3. Her work had no real
    Solution. She ended up calling in sick at least one day a week for a number of weeks until she ended up taking a mix of unpaid and annual leave from 35 weeks. Once the decision was made work were fine. It is your health after all and whether you go now or in s few weeks won't make a huge difference.

I find myself feeling stressed about work too and guilty that i booked maternity leave 3 instead of 2 weeks before. I have a holiday booked too. I'm hoping I get there because at 26 weeks I've a good bit to go. If it was anyone told id say do what's best for You but it's hard to have that perspective on yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

OP, it sounds like you've two things going on, you've likely got SPD, hence the shooting pains in your legs, and the tightness in your womb is from Braxton Hicks. You can get referred to hospital physio by your GP or at the hospital, don't leave it it too long as it can take awhile for the referral to get you an appointment and you might find it quite helpful.
    The BH can be quite intense for some people if you push yourself too hard, so it's usually recommended to rest. I get them all the time, but it's quite random and doesn't seem to be connected to exercise or activity. Other friends said taking it easy for a couple of days eased it. If you get pain with them, go to the hospital or your GP and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry, as in some people it can be early labour.

You're best taking care of yourself and your baby. The difference in your leave is only 6 weeks in the scheme of things. You can also look into Health and Safety leave, see this:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/health_safety_benefit.html

Some companies might have some kind of benefit if you take this, but there's definitely some kind of minimal Welfare benefit you can get if you need to take this leave (first 3 weeks are full pay anyway). You might be able to negotiate better hours for the number of weeks you have left with your boss rather than leaving work altogether. If you see your doctor first, they might be able to write a letter/note to your boss to say you need reduced working hours or to start your leave early. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Petal765 wrote: »
    I'm just afraid how my boss will react and deep down I'm just too scared to tell them but I'm really struggling, any advice? thanks in advance
    If your boss has any sense he will recognise that getting annoyed at a pregnant person for pregnancy symptoms will not do his business any good whatsoever.

You need to tell work that you're struggling. They don't want you sitting at your desk suffering in silenece and they especially don't want you to collapse in the office or otherwise have any kind of breakdown.

Go to them with potential solutions - would it be possible to go on 3-day weeks until your maternity leave (the other two days unpaid, maybe), or work from home a few days of the week?

If you don't think you can hack it at all, you can bring your maternity leave forward and just start it early. While you are required to give your employer 4 weeks' notice (meaning you would start at 36 weeks), you can get medically certified as needing to start your maternity leave next week and that satisfies the notice requirement.

For the sake of a good relationship though I would be inclined to see if you can stick it out for 4 weeks (even on a part-time basis) to hand over your work to whomever your boss has selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 MonsieK

You should look after yourself. You and your baby are the most important now - work will cope.
    I took my leave at 33 weeks. Same - pains, couldn't sleep and was miserable at work (and work was very stressful and busy at the time). It was the best decision ever. You still get paid from SW.
    I slept better after I finished and really rested until my baby was born at 35 weeks :)

MonsieK wrote: »
    You should look after yourself. You and your baby are the most important now - work will cope.
    I took my leave at 33 weeks. Same - pains, couldn't sleep and was miserable at work (and work was very stressful and busy at the time). It was the best decision ever. You still get paid from SW.
    I slept better after I finished and really rested until my baby was born at 35 weeks :)

That's gas! Not funny, but like your body knew and took you out of work at 33 weeks coz the baby was coming early.

I am really struggling this week. Think the bump is going through a growth spurt. Am absolutely exhausted.

I am really struggling this week. Think the bump is going through a growth spurt. Am absolutely exhausted.

I was struggling earlier on this week too. Seemed to have bounced back though. Maybe Just the weekend giving me a bounce!! I felt so tired in the mornings. Already can't wait for maternity leave time off, prior to baby of course

I hope your experience isn't going to follow for me! I haven't done a thing to prepare for this baby, have so much to get/organise, did your baby have any complications when born at 35 weeks? Guess I have a fear of going early when in feeling so crap,

I talked to work and they were actually very understanding about it, so I'm off for a while anyway, thought I was feeling better today and had been putting off going to the chemist to get a prescription, by the time I got home cramps had come back and could barely move, so much for thinking I was feeling better, the last weeks are definitely so hard, exhaustion, not sleeping and general aches are a bad combo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Op I ended out sick at 4.5 weeks (yup weeks!) pregnant. I never got back to work for the full 9 months. I worked in a small retail shop and was the only full time member of staff. I obviously never expected to be out for the full pregnancy like I was, but they just got on with things. They hired someone else to cover me part time initially (after I was out sick for 4 weeks) and then she was just kept on. You and your baby are most important: I kept my boss fully informed and in fairness they did realise I couldn't help it. You and your baby are most important, and you have to do what's best for you.

Does anyone know if you book your maternity leave, and aren't coping very well but would prefer to go on Mat leave rather than be signed off, can you change your date and go early?

I think you can, or you can be signed off on sick leave either. Are you struggling beany?

I think you can, or you can be signed off on sick leave either. Are you struggling beany?

I am and I amn't. Like I'm well but tired. I've had sore and swollen legs for a few weeks but i don't rest them enough. My back is starting to hurt. Im quite emotional, like I cried over my big fat legs yesterday as my socks cut into me and couldn't wear a skirt!! I know everyone feels massive but people are genuinely shocked at the size of me, I have a massive bump and still three months to go. My job is very stressful, I only started it when I got pregnant and the person who works with me is forever on sick leave, working from home etc and I'm on my own. I just feel the tiredness, the stress, the back and the legs are not going to improve, and most likely will get worse.

On the flip side, I feel bad for moaning as all my scans etc have been perfect, no bad results of any tests etc. I'm much luckier than most. I've had tough days I have not missed a day of work but I'm counting down the days now, even though I'm only 27 weeks.

I suppose I just want to know if I feel I'm not really "sick" but just struggling with the commute, sore legs and tiredness can I just call it a day and tell them
    I'm taking my maternity leave. Or is it a case of getting signed off? Probably makes no odds- I don't get paid for either

Your contract finishes soon anyway doesn't it? I'm sure you can go a bit earlier then.

I wouldn't be able for full time work these days. That's for sure. Some days i am fine. Some days I am exhausted. Just weighed myself and got a bit of a shock. But I'm generally well, so cant complain.

Your contract finishes soon anyway doesn't it? I'm sure you can go a bit earlier then.

I wouldn't be able for full time work these days. That's for sure. Some days i am fine. Some days I am exhausted. Just weighed myself and got a bit of a shock. But I'm generally well, so cant complain.

No it finished when I'm on maternity leave. I'm feeling ok this morning. Just undermotivated! I feel like I've been so busy I've had very little time to dedicate to being pregnant - like I haven't bought anything, haven't done any yoga or swimming etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MonsieK

Petal765 wrote: »
    I hope your experience isn't going to follow for me! I haven't done a thing to prepare for this baby, have so much to get/organise, did your baby have any complications when born at 35 weeks? Guess I have a fear of going early when in feeling so crap,

I talked to work and they were actually very understanding about it, so I'm off for a while anyway, thought I was feeling better today and had been putting off going to the chemist to get a prescription, by the time I got home cramps had come back and could barely move, so much for thinking I was feeling better, the last weeks are definitely so hard, exhaustion, not sleeping and general aches are a bad combo

I'm so glad I took that time - I wouldn't have got any time off before otherwise. You just never know.
    I did feel very uncomfortable the week before but no cramps or any other signs. My son was born very quick - just under 7 hours I think. All natural with no complications and he was perfect. He didn't have to go to an incubator and went into the room with me straight away. We were very lucky. We went home after 2 days.

I hope you feel better. Just put your feet up and look after yourself. This is your time now :)

I'm so glad I took that time - I wouldn't have got any time off before otherwise. You just never know.
    I did feel very uncomfortable the week before but no cramps or any other signs. My son was born very quick - just under 7 hours I think. All natural with no complications and he was perfect. He didn't have to go to an incubator and went into the room with me straight away. We were very lucky. We went home after 2 days.

I hope you feel better. Just put your feet up and look after yourself. This is your time now :)

That's great he had no complications or anything, it'd be my biggest worry if I was to go early so your story definitely makes me feel a bit more at ease, I'm glad I'm taking the time now, feel exhausted from just walking up and down the stairs so definitely time to take it easy,

Advertisement