Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove solidified grease from concrete?

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have lots of solidified grease and grim from a blocked drain outside. It is mainly on a concrete path but also on some gravel. It consists of lumps of white grease that are mushy if touched. The affected area stinks. I have removed as much as I can by hand.

Does anyone know what I should do to get rid of/dissolve the rest so that it will not be harmful to the neighbouring flower beds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Washing soda and boiling water followed by a powerwasher and detergent.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Thx Srameen. The washing soda and detergent may run into the flower beds because of the slope of the pathway. Are these dangerous to the soil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Katzi wrote: »
    Thx Srameen. The washing soda and detergent may run into the flower beds because of the slope of the pathway. Are these dangerous to the soil?

Detergent will be ok. The sodium carbonate will raise the Ph so acid loving plants would suffer. You can always water the area well to dilute it down, if its a concern.

Or, just use he powerwasher and detergent on their own perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't actually need much water with the soda. Sprinkle it fairly thickly onto the grease then pour boiling water directly onto it, just enough to activate it, then brush with a stiff yard brush. If you put newspapers folded or old towels or similar along the edge of the flowerbed it will catch any run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would use the stuff shown in the attached to get rid of as much water and crap as possible and then fill gully will good quality drain clearer ( gloves, googles, read instructions etc) and leave for as long as possible

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

I like the sound of the rolled up towel or newspapers! Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Offgridcoe

Try bicarbonate of soda covering grease then pour on vinegar

Advertisement