Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's Ultrasonic Pest Repellent Driving me nuts

Options
  • 23-08-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I suspect that somebody in my immediate neighbourhood (Rathcurragh area of Newbridge for those interested) recently got a pest repeller, which emits a high pitched sound 24 hours a day, which impairs my enjoyment of our patio by a great bit.

The sound itself seems to be of around 12-14 kHz, which of course is way too low for it to be outside of an audible spectrum of a healthy human, unless you are an old folk.

It is also quite hard to pinpoint the exact location of the sound source to knock the right door as it seems to be (understandably) located at the back of one of the houses. Not that I fancy knocking any door at all just a few months after moving into the area and being a foreigner.

Is there any authority I can ask for help before it drives the whole family nuts?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try contacting your local council, and see if they can help. Probably the environment dept in the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

As suggested contact the Environment Services department on (045) 980588 or environ@kildarecoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TomasHerink

Thanks guys, I'll do that and revert back with the result for others to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It is also quite hard to pinpoint the exact location of the sound source to knock the right door as it seems to be (understandably) located at the back of one of the houses. Not that I fancy knocking any door at all just a few months after moving into the area and being a foreigner.

I'd suggest knocking around the nearby houses asking if they had this device and telling them if it's effect on you. If I had one and it affected a neighbor, I'd get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Any chance there's a distribution transformer on any of the poles near you, it'll likely be a cylinder around the medium kitchen bin size on a pole with the wire leading to the nearby houses.

I can hear a decent sound off those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Unlikely to be a pest repeller. Certainly not ultrasonic at 14Khz.
    I recall some crowd marketing devices to deter teenagers but I think they were around 18Khz and I think they are now banned.

More likely a transformer as suggested in post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is it 24hr nonstop... Or intermittent?

Could be a power converter humming away in a shed... Growing wacky backy!

Advertisement