Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES is 25!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Best thing ever.

The actual, real life, best thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I didn't get a snes til like I was in my early teens but I was emulating it a few years before that. I got a CD emu with lots of games.
    I was so spoiled, rarely finished anything though. I know it's much better on original hardware but I experienced games I never would have played. I loved Act Raiser (dat music tho!), Naxat Golf Open, FFIV, Cotton 100%, Twinbee (the shoot em up and platform game), Ghost Sweeper Mikami, LTTP too. I have a boxed SNES game on the way, a game I'm very fond of but it's a surprise for now :pac: incase any A&R posters see lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Nothing in life(including having kids(and sex;-)) has ever made me feel better that plugging in that snes and firing up Super Mario World as a child. I was getting the machine for Xmas but my brother let me have a go while the parents were out and after that I was in love.

Happy bday snes, your 25 and I'm 34 so I guess I was 10 when we met.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I still remember counting out my hard earned by the pennies to the sales person when I bought my SNES as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Christmas, 1992. Santa had one job, replace my ageing Commodore64 with a shiny new SNES.

Waking the rest of the house up at 5am to open the spoils, as was the way back in the those days, I worked my way through the smaller gifts that friends and family had brought, my small eyes constantly searching for the familiar long rectangular box I had been eyeing on the shelves in Dunnes for the previous number of months. Eventually there was only one box left, a large but unfamiliar trapezoid shaped one. My heart sank.

As I clawed at the wrapping, desperate to be wrong, I suddenly noticed the edge of what appeared to be the red SUPER NINTENDO text and that beautiful Seal of Quality mark next to it, but on a box smaller than I expected. What trickery was this? Turns out Santa, the giant bastard, had decided to **** with me one last time by wrapping a second controller box on top of the main console box and, along with some carefully placed cardboard on either end, changed the shape of the wrapped present to throw me off the scent.

I'd like to say I took its arrival in my stride with slightly more dignity than N64 kid but I'd be lying. So much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ Brilliant :D

My personal favorite console of all time, what more can I say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I have a boxed SNES game on the way, a game I'm very fond of but it's a surprise for now :pac: incase any A&R posters see lol

GETs is spilling outta A&R.

SNES library is one that constantly manages to surprise me, even now. While the catalog depth has been rivaled by what Sony brought along later, the SNES' mixture of whopper 3rd party stuff along with stupidly good 1st party offerings rockets it up there for "best of all time" contention. Even if you take into account how much of its 3rd party gear has been ported elsewhere along the the way, it is pretty amazing the likes of Final Fantasy VI still find their definitive versions on the SNES.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I first met the Snes I was 20, and had spent a year feeding my gaming habit with the Megadrive...
    The Snes was, amazing, maybe not quite as amazing as it might have been if I was coming to it from the NES or Master System, or even my trusty Spectrum, but it was a stunner nevertheless.
    And I played the brains out of that thing.
    Sadly, as a 20 year student nurse, I had precisely 0 mates who played games, not a one.
    So, it was up to me to evangelise to the grubby masses about Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Batman Returns, and suffer the rolled eyes and raised eyebrows, for being an adult playing games for kids :(
    I still found it difficult to accept Super Mario Kart as my lord and saviour, with my heart still lost to Road Rash II on the MD, still is in truth :(
    And, like others here, I still have a Snes, and most games I ever wanted on it, incredible games in the day, like Cybernator, Super Castlevania IV and the Super Star Wars titles remain in my collection and get dusted off for a blast every now and then, they have never lost their appeal. Nor have literal game changers like Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, or playing my Gameboy cart of Space Invaders on the Super Gameboy for the first time, with a massive grin breaking out across my face.

Man, there were some great times had.

So, Happy Birthday Snes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Think I'll go get bounced off a few F-Zero courses later to commemorate its anniversary.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    GETs is spilling outta A&R.
    It's a bloody disgrace Joe!
    My gets are so boring usually but this one is pretty nice. I just want to be cool! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played a couple of dungeons in LTTP last night. Probably could have done it blindfolded too... :o

Mr E wrote: »
    Played a couple of dungeons in LTTP last night. Probably could have done it blindfolded too... :o
    Lol! I'd love to see a speed run of that, apply for the next Games Done Quick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I never owned a snes.
    There. I've said it. It's out.
    I had a timeshare in one in college, and played the living circuits out of Mariokart, SMW, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid. But I was a tourist. A C64 kid who skipped the 16bit console generation in favour of gaming on a found-parts PC.

There, I've said it.

Also, I kidnap people, torture them and eat them, but they're xbox owners so it doesn't really count.

For the benefit of future juries, the above is a work of fantasy that does not constitute a confessional or statement of intent, but should serve as a reminder to all that watching Dice is crime enough, forgetting to turn off the telly afterwards and watching the Cannibal Cop documentary is unforgivable. Also, the bit about the SNES is true..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I was lucky enough to own both a Mega Drive and SNES, so I never understood the whole rivalry thing, and I still don't. Seems childish. They were both great consoles with amazing libraries produced by two great companies in their prime.

Happy birthday SNES. Thanks for the countless hours of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    ...for "best of all time" contention.

71293328.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Saipanne wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to own both a Mega Drive and SNES, so I never understood the whole rivalry thing, and I still don't. Seems childish. They were both great consoles with amazing libraries produced by two great companies in their prime.

Happy birthday SNES. Thanks for the countless hours of fun.

Because we were all children and that's what children do? :pac:

I still play the hell out of my Super Nintendo, must have about 100 games for it now. Thankfully I bought most of them before the market turned insane and they began to be worth their weight in gold.

So many games to pull you back 25 years later. Nintendo really are the kings of replayability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because we were all children and that's what children do?

I'm referring to adults today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Because we were all children and that's what children do? :pac:

Indeed :D Plus the Sega forum is retired, & the Nintendo forum lives on...so I guess we now know which side won the 'great war'!
    Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm referring to adults today.

Yeah, bit weird that...

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Indeed :D Plus the Sega forum is retired, & the Nintendo forum lives on...so I guess we now know which side won the 'great war'!

That scar will never heal - I'll infiltrate boards.ie admin privileges someday and reactivate it, mark my words! :pac:

My missus was playing Shadowrun Returns on her lappy yesterday so I decided to break out the Snes version and finally give it a go (been sitting there gathering dust for almost two years!) - reckon that's going to be my go to game now for the foreseeable future.

It's unfortunately a cart I bought long after the great Myrddin battery replacement you did for me a few years back, hope it still holds a charge.

My missus was playing Shadowrun Returns on her lappy yesterday so I decided to break out the Snes version and finally give it a go (been sitting there gathering dust for almost two years!) - reckon that's going to be my go to game now for the foreseeable future.
    I loved that Shadowrun game, bit hard at the time I'm sure I'd find it a bit easier now. That's why I say my brain is burned lol (I think I did lately on the beers thread).
    xl_shadowrun.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, adults today seem to be just as capable of being big muppetty babies, when it comes to sacred cows like Sony, MS, No Man's Sky....
    Of course, Nintendo are a truly sacred cow, and no one must make poor comment about them.
    If you do it'll be a nice forum ban this evening followed by a pleasant hanging from a tree come sunrise....

That scar will never heal - I'll infiltrate boards.ie admin privileges someday and reactivate it, mark my words! :pac: replacement you did for me a few years back, hope it still holds a charge.

What%20Nintendon't.jpg

Master of the Universe

I loved that Shadowrun game, bit hard at the time I'm sure I'd find it a bit easier now. That's why I say my brain is burned lol

It's definitely one of those 'why the hell wasn't I bought this for my birthday when I was a kid' games :D the Snes is full of them really, oh to have experienced the likes of Earthbound the first time around!
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, adults today seem to be just as capable of being big muppetty babies, when it comes to sacred cows like Sony, MS, No Man's Sky....
    Of course, Nintendo are a truly sacred cow, and no one must make poor comment about them.
    If you do it'll be a nice forum ban this evening followed by a pleasant hanging from a tree come sunrise....

What would happen if one were to slag off the 3DO and Need for Speed as a matter of interest? :D

It's definitely one of those 'why the hell wasn't I bought this for my birthday when I was a kid' games :D the Snes is full of them really, oh to have experienced the likes of Earthbound the first time around!
    I played it on emu as a kid, it ages to find out what to do. I loved going to the graveyard.

EB has really such a special place in heart, I just needed that game at that time, Ness had homesickness and so had I.
    I'd love to play it again.

What would happen if one were to slag off the 3DO and Need for Speed as a matter of interest? :D

Don't make me and Steve come around to yours and push your cab down the stairs.....

Need for Speed on the 3DO is a holy thing, a blessed thing...
    As is Return Fire, natch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's unfortunately a cart I bought long after the great Myrddin battery replacement you did for me a few years back, hope it still holds a charge.

Unlike the Nomad battery mod - that thing will still be holding a charge long after the Sun dies out. :D

Some good Snes memories above. My first experience of it was playing SF2 in a friends house - thought it was amazing at the time.

We got the Mario All Stars pack - still have it boxed in the cupboard - one of the best single carts ever that has to be? Got Mario World also but it didn't have as big an impact on me as SMB3 did on the NES, awesome game all the same. I more remember SF2 Turbo, Super Tennis, Mario Kart, Alien 3 and Super Punch Out (got hooked on that for a while memorising how to beat each fighter in record time). Zelda too of course.

Incredible machine.

Only got a Megadrive many years laters and one thing that stood out for me was the size of the controllers - bloody huge yokes compared to the Snes pads. Didn't feel as sturdy either. Quality console too though. You can't really be without either of them if you've any interest in the 16bit era (or the Amiga I'd add).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I remember playing SF2 in a chipper on Christmas Eve, hoping to god I'd be able to play SF on the SNES for real the next day. So it came to pass when I unwrapped the SF Edition and nothing has equalled it for me since. I'm glad the SNES collecting scene became what it did because it allowed me to revisit games that I either didn't like or didn't 'get' when I was younger. The two that come to mind are Shadowrun and Alien 3. Thought Shadowrun was the most dull, boring games when I rented it as a kid, thankfully that was put right when I was older. Alien 3 I was glad to revisit instead of being fed up of being killed all the time when I was younger.

I can remember trying, in vain, to convince some friends of a mate that Road Rash II was better than Super Mario Kart, having them running on two tvs, next to each other, and Mario getting all the attention.
    Damn you Mario Kart!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Len_007

Anyone remember "Joystix" in Blackrock shopping centre?? Vivid memories have I of being dropped off there while the Mother did got the groceries. Super Mario Kart blew my mind and it was there I played it for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Super Mario All-Stars was a fantastic pack-in title to give away with the Super Nintendo (at least in my case of getting the console). 4 absolutely classic games for the price of none. Great deal!! Could have been kept occupied for a few months on those games alone, as addicting as they were. Plus Mario 3 had that great battle mode.

Advertisement