Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES is 25!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Len_007 wrote: »
    Anyone remember "Joystix" in Blackrock shopping centre?? Vivid memories have I of being dropped off there while the Mother did got the groceries. Super Mario Kart blew my mind and it was there I played it for the first time.

Mr Calculator off Grafton St.
    All the latest stuff, costing an arm and leg!
    I remember gazing and drooling at Ridge Racer running on an imported Playstation, and the price tag of the system nearly causing a faint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Got a SNES when I was 17 years old. Previous to this all I had was an Amiga 600 which was good but with the explosion of console gaming (megadrive with sonic and SNES with Mario) I felt my Amiga was no longer cool and the graphics were looking dated compared to the consoles. Zool simply could not compete with Sonic or Mario.

I could not afford either console so just kept playing my Amiga, then while on summer holidays in southern Spain, I walked past a computer game store, went in and started playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES in store. I was obsessed, and just talked about it all evening, bored my parents to tears over it as I kept talking about how cool it was. The next day my mum bought the SNES for me which came with Street Fighter 2 and Super Mario World. I spent the rest of the holiday sitting looking at the beautiful SNES box, and the images and then bought gaming magazines reading them on the beach.

Got back to Ireland about 10 days later, turned on the SNES, the excitement almost turned to tears as the console failed to boot up, tried multiple times and no joy. Next day went into town and found a place that repaired consoles. 3 days later they rang and it was fixed, paid 30 pounds for repair.

Almost a week after getting home from holidays I finally get to try out the SNES and this time it worked beautifully. I turned it on around 5pm and was still playing by 5am!! The rest of the summer was spent glued to the SNES. Games such as Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Mario Kart, Super Star Wars and Zelda provided me with months of fun and entertainment. A truly unforgettable experience and easily the best console I ever owned. Todays consoles are so weak with top games/exclusives compared to the SNES days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got one of my favourite Snes games boxed today, Wonder Kitchen. I love the bright colours in the manual and the sheet of paper with the witch.

Advertisement