Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting flares from the Lacrosse 5 satellite.

Options
  • 23-08-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I'm currently sitting out in the back yard doing some naked eye stargazing. I've spotted what appears to be a satellite flare very quickly and brightly, to maybe mag 0 for maybe a tenth of a second, twice in less than a second. Then another maybe mag 2 flash maybe 10 seconds later a little to the east.
    No planes in that region according to flightradar24, and no navigation light flashing in that area. Heavens above has the Lacrosse 5 US radar spy satellite as the only satellite in that region, and the flashes were within a half degree of the time and path.
    That satellite is well known for sunglint flares and large brightness changes as it traverses the sky.
    It may be worth keeping an eye on that satellite for odd brightness behaviour if you've got the opportunity in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I need to clarify, that what I saw was most likely a rocket booster from the Lacrosse 5 satellite, according to heavens-above. The satellite itself passed over a short while later at mag 2. Still an interesting observation none the less.

Advertisement