Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed Lighting in Bathroom - doing my head in

Options
  • 23-08-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've recessed lighting in my bathroom and I feel I'm missing something simple because right now in order to change the bulb I need to go into the attic. This is a total nightmare because in order to change them I need to apply so much pressure the chrome ring holding it it all together pops out and it also cracks the plaster surrounding it. Am I doing something stupid or is it just a poor design? Can anyone recommend a better solution?

Thx

Comments

Fit leds! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

You might have to pull the transformers though. Bit of a pain in the, well arms in my case.

Did it in the kitchen, I'm now using 10% of the power and hopefully won't have to replace the little sods for a good few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You should not have to go into the attic to replace a domestic downlighter bulb. There is lots of different types but Id say there must be a way of getting to it without having to go into the attic. Have you tried unscrewing the class thats in front of the bulb thats if there is a class. The class should unscrew and then the bulb should twist out still a little oqward but nothing as bad as having to get into the attic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Can you post a picture,

Some of them there is a metal clip that can be removed and the bulb comes out, other types turn and the fitting comes across.

As a previous poster said, it is not necessary to go into the attic to change a bulb.

Just watch out in the attic that the bulbs do not come into contact with anything as they get very hot, for this reason it would be good to replace them with LED bulbs, worth paying a bit extra for good ones.

The cheap ones may not last as long due to inferior components.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

Thanks all. here's some pictures. I've tried unscrewing it from the bathroom side and it doesn't budge. Sounds like LED's might be the answer regardless. If anyone has a particular model in mind that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Broche07 wrote: »
    Thanks all. here's some pictures. I've tried unscrewing it from the bathroom side and it doesn't budge. Sounds like LED's might be the answer regardless. If anyone has a particular model in mind that would be great.

they dont look like there installed correctly, they look like robus bathroom spots, the base which the chrome cover sit into looks like its been slabbed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

evosteo wrote: »
    they dont look like there installed correctly, they look like robus bathroom spots, the base which the chrome cover sit into looks like its been slabbed over.

agree
    the cutout in the slab is probably too big as this type of fitting doesnt allow for much error.my advise would be to replace the fitting with something like the
    eclipse gzsh dropped glass fitting.it should fit in same hole and has a bigger rim for a more stable fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Broche07

Thanks for all the help, they are Robus alright sounds like they jusy weren't done correctly at the time. Can i ask though I was looking for the eclipse gzsh fitting, i can't find that on the web, could you send on a link?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Broche07 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help, they are Robus alright sounds like they jusy weren't done correctly at the time. Can i ask though I was looking for the eclipse gzsh fitting, i can't find that on the web, could you send on a link?

Thx

http://www.sgd.ie/product/240v-gu10-ip54-shower-downlight/

also available in chrome,use an led lamp

Advertisement