Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another thread which disagrees with the status quo closed without explanation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I suppose the question being asked is, what in that thread caused the mod to lock it at all?

I'd say because, IIRC, the reported post was saying it wasn't suitable for the cafe. Mod asks other mods what to do, nobody is about, I should have advised to leave it open, mod forgets to leave note (happened to us all at some stage), somebody starts feedback thread, admins and c-mods get involved, thread reopened, people see confirmation bias of the op because it is a trigger.

Lesson to learn is sometimes the best thing to do is nothing and let a thread develop.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Because the tinfoil-hat brigade would rather believe there's a conspiracy rather than a more mundane explanation.

Now, it's nearly time for Mother's footrub, so as promised, I'll be closing this thread when the regulars get their final dig in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That has been explained 3 or 4 times to you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My argument here is that the thread was completely innocuous, and any mod looking at it should have said "shouldn't have been reported, case closed". It broke no rules and violated no aspect of the charter, and I can't imagine any reason for it being reported other than "we don't want a mens' rights circlejerk". The problem with that is that there are countless other circlejerks which are allowed on Boards no questions asked, and it's when only a handful of subjects or topics of conversation are flagged as "potentially problematic" and therefore worthy of pre-emptive thread closure, that one arrives at a conclusion of either (a) Boards is hypersensitive to certain subjects and doesn't want them discussed lest "objectionable" viewpoints be aired, or (b) Boards is hypersensitive to controversy and doesn't want heated debate of any kind.

The many Sinn Fein threads over the years easily constitute a hyperbolic load of hyperbollocks ( ;) ), but you don't see them being locked after just 5 posts. Same with Israel/Palestine threads, same with water charges threads, same with threads about crooked politicians, etc. But once a thread is about a sacred cow tenet of the social justice movement - abortion, feminism, immigration, religion to name just a few - it tends to be kept very strictly under the thumb of the mods, if it's even allowed at all. God forbid anyone have a lively and heated discussion on these subjects, mirite?

You must admit that it's become very difficult to continue to believe that Boards does not engage in ideological policing at least to some extent. This wasn't always the case. If I could pinpoint when it began, I think I'd point to somewhere in the region of late 2011 - mid 2012. It has accelerated wildly in the last two years, to the point at which anything remotely controversial tends to get suppressed or neutered as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Well let's do that then in a different thread.

Ah yes, some things never change - the old "circle the wagons" chestnut. If admins didn't respond, we are ignoring the issue. If we do respond, we are circling the wagons. At least have the originality of thought to accuse us of something more relevant.

Right, we are done here, the thread is open, this is no longer an issue as far as I am concerned. Mother is waiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement