Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last day: 30km speed limit within canals

Options
  • 24-08-2016 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Today is the last day to send in a submission – to speedreview@dublincity.ie – on a proposal to extend the 30km/h speed limit to cover the part of Dublin enclosed by the canals.

If you're sending in a submission, you might look at some of the points from the Dublin City Cycling Officer's page here:

http://www.cycledublin.ie/blog/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I posted in the off topic thread, but Ciaran Cuffe said this morning that the limit will apply to all road users, i.e. cyclists too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I posted in the off topic thread, but Ciaran Cuffe said this morning that the limit will apply to all road users, i.e. cyclists too.

Proper order. 31km/h is too fast to cycle on city streets where you can have a child racing suddenly across the road or someone idiotically getting off a bus and walking out in front, screened by it. You don't have the control to stop at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chuchote wrote: »
    Proper order. 31km/h is too fast to cycle on city streets where you can have a child racing suddenly across the road or someone idiotically getting off a bus and walking out in front, screened by it. You don't have the control to stop at that speed.
    Speak for yourself!

Lumen wrote: »
    Speak for yourself!

No, Lumen, at that speed I'll speak for physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

i heard the Green DCC councillor on the radio this morning talking about this and he made some good points.

Of course they read out the usual txts from people about cyclists etc but I thought one good point made was that part of the thinking behind the plan was that it made it safer for people crossing the road etc and someone suggested that people should cross the road at traffic lights rather than just anywhere/anytime.

His only answer was that DCC could not afford more traffic lights. While that may well be the case, I think everything cannot simply be blamed on motor vehicles. We all have had more than enough time to get used to the idea of traffic being on roads and at what stage are people going to be held accountable for their own lack of responsibility.

It was mentioned about a person getting off the bus. Surely the bus driver should be close enough to the kerb to not allow a cyclist the ability to steam through at 31kph! At even at that, a passenger should take responsibility to look to make sure it is safe to alight rather than just blindly walk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sorry but if a car can't make an emergency stop going above 30km, then a bike surely cant

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry but if a car can't make an emergency stop going above 30km, then a bike surely cant
    A bike has more ability to evade - think of a wide paddle -v- a narrow paddle in a game of pong or arkanoid.

Anyway, I thought it had been established that speed limits don't apply to bicycles?

Yes, but the damage a car will do at 30kph compared to a car is not even close to comparable.

In addition, the ability of the cyclist, even with minimal time, to take emergency action and avoid a direct hit is far greater than the car due to the relative size. (Seamus got there 1st)

With a bicycle accident, the cyclist is probably even more at risk that the other party, given momentum and the starting height position, so cyclists are, IMO, more attuded to external risk factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Depends.

An inexperienced cyclist/motorcyclist will probably lock back wheel and lose control a well experienced cyclist/motorcyclist will out brake most cars.

Experienced cyclist/motorcyclists (by necessity ) tend to have much better awarness/oberservation skills than your average driver.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    With a bicycle accident, the cyclist is probably even more at risk that the other party, given momentum and the starting height position, so cyclists are, IMO, more attuded to external risk factors.

All the more reason for cyclists not to cycle at fast speeds in city centres, where they're likely to encounter unexpected obstacles.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested in reading a physics explanation of how it is impossible to do an emergency stop from 30kph on a bicycle. If you have the time...

Bicycles are far safer than cars in urban environments, because:

- Cyclists have perfect forward visibility with no blind spots (obviously they can't see round parked vans) compared with the massively compromised pillbox view of car drivers.
    - Riders tend to have a higher sight line than drivers.
    - A bicycle is the same widh as a person. Two narrow things have a much better chance of avoiding a collision than a narrow thing and a wide thing.
    - Cyclists have "skin in the game" in a pedestrian collision (see recent death of cyclist in Phoenix Park).
    - A typical cyclist on a bike weighs less than 100kg compared to a car approx 1500kg.
    - Most pedestrian injuries in car accidents occur not from the collision but from landing back on the road surface having been flung into the air (they're run under rather than run over). This doesn't happen with a bicycle collision because bicycles don't have bonnets.

...and so on. So much safer that they cannot be considered in the same category of risk.

If basic reasoning is unconvincing, please provide statistics of pedestrian deaths from cyclists going over 30kph which speed limits for bicycles would prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was mentioned about a person getting off the bus. Surely the bus driver should be close enough to the kerb to not allow a cyclist the ability to steam through at 31kph! At even at that, a passenger should take responsibility to look to make sure it is safe to alight rather than just blindly walk off.
    Same as car driver letting a passenger out, it's the drivers responsibility. Really, assuming there's an indicator and at a bus stop (which Dublin Bus are pretty strict about these days from what I see), I'd be looking at the cyclist going up the inside in those circumstances.

I do agree about pedestrians - the whole crossing within spitting distance of an official crossing is ridiculous (or under pedestrian bridges which I see a lot on the N11).

I'd fancy my chances of emergency stopping with my disc brakes, but then if I don't, going by the pro's whining, I'd probably slice a pedestrian in two with the rotors...

goo.gl/OuiP14

or

https://books.google.ie/books?id=0JJo6DlF9iMC&pg=PA248&lpg=PA248&dq=bicycle+stopping+distance&source=bl&ots=Tt_AzOfsj0&sig=MbpRc0HTubGxzPcyxAhdaYze9QI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl1Z7v0NnOAhVpLsAKHRg5Dm4Q6AEIRjAJ#v=onepage&q=bicycle%20stopping%20distance&f=false

Or there's a calculator here:

https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/brakes2.html

which gives a little over 15 feet as the stopping distance at 20mph (roughly equivalent to 30km/h). So if that child races out and you're going at 30, it's goodnight, Irene.

Oh, and the passenger getting off the bus – I was talking about the people who get out, go in front of the bus and (screened by the bus) then step out to cross to the other side. A constant hazard in Dublin, and it's not really the driver's job to get out and stop these people.

It's not that I disagree with the idea, as I said the councillor made a few good points, but it seems that it is always only looking in one direction that we try to solve a problem.

No doubt slowing traffic down will make things safer, but I also think we should start a campaign to change the attitude to jaywalking we have in this country (and by extension breaking red light although that should be a separate campaign.)

We have, IMO, far too many pedestrians crossing in certain places (that is based on nothing more than being annoyed at having to continually stop at them btw) and yet, culturally we have total disregard to traffic laws as pedestrians.

At some point that needs to be addressed.

But 30kph is the magical boundary? There's a massive difference between motor vehicles and bikes, basic physics. Simpler even than the enforcement of a limit on cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It wouldn't be the first time an elected councillor said something stupid and incorrect, and it won't be the last.

There are no speed limits for cyclists.
    DCC can't bring in speed limits for cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The whole proposal is wrongheaded. Rather than address the actual problem - idiotic driving, cycling and pedestrianising - it's aimed at minimising the damage caused by idiocy.

The whole proposal is wrongheaded. Rather than address the actual problem - idiotic driving, cycling and pedestrianising - it's aimed at minimising the damage caused by idiocy.

Dunno, though, Jeff, this kind of traffic calming is in use in lots of European cities and it hasn't yet caused a zombie meltdown.

It's not that I disagree with the idea, as I said the councillor made a few good points, but it seems that it is always only looking in one direction that we try to solve a problem.

No doubt slowing traffic down will make things safer, but I also think we should start a campaign to change the attitude to jaywalking we have in this country (and by extension breaking red light although that should be a separate campaign.)

We have, IMO, far too many pedestrians crossing in certain places (that is based on nothing more than being annoyed at having to continually stop at them btw) and yet, culturally we have total disregard to traffic laws as pedestrians.

At some point that needs to be addressed.

The main benefit is not on main roads and the likes, but in housing estates for example. It's uneconomic, and stupid, to have lights and pedestrian crossings all over a housing estate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I dunno, should the criteria for good legislation be "not causing a zombie meltdown"?

• Advertisement

Or there's a calculator here:

https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/brakes2.html

which gives a little over 15 feet as the stopping distance at 20mph (roughly equivalent to 30km/h). So if that child races out and you're going at 30, it's goodnight, Irene.
    I'm not really sure why you're using the example of a child except for emotional reasons. In my experience it's adult morons that step out in the city centre, not children. They don't "race out" either, they typically just step out briskly.

This has happened to me a number of times when I've been going around 25-35kph and I've never even come close to hitting one of them.

I usually just apply the brakes and then go round them (this is impossible in a car due to the width).

This is a non-issue. You're simply scaremongering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

surely that's part and parcel of how you reduce the damage from the idiocy? you cannot eliminate idiotic driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Care to expand, because I find stopping at30kmh and controlling the bike not to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

We need to place blame on whoever breaks the rule of common sense. The only part of the road a pedestrian should be using is given in its title. The pedestrian crossing. Blame has always been focused on the road user when in the majority of cases that a pedestrian has been injured outside of a pedestrian crossing on the road the pedestrian has taken a gamble not the road user.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Depends.

An inexperienced cyclist/motorcyclist will probably lock back wheel and lose control a well experienced cyclist/motorcyclist will out brake most cars.

Experienced cyclist/motorcyclists (by necessity ) tend to have much better awarness/oberservation skills than your average driver.

So we are using probability. Yes a cyclist could take evasive action, but that could mean causing more injuries to the cyclist itself.

A cyclist going at 10k and hitting a person can cause a person to hit the head off the ground and do serious harm, so don't tell me 30k can't.

I got concussion from a cyclist crashing into me. Cyclist was at fault but nice guy etc, accidents happens and he wasn't going hard.

ted1 wrote: »
    Care to expand, because I find stopping at30kmh and controlling the bike not to be an issue.

Would you like to share your route and we test you by suprise some wet morning?

We need to place blame on whoever breaks the rule of common sense. The only part of the road a pedestrian should be using is given in its title. The pedestrian crossing. Blame has always been focused on the road user when in the majority of cases that a pedestrian has been injured outside of a pedestrian crossing on the road the pedestrian has taken a gamble not the road user.

Very true, and no car or cyclist should be going thru a red light or taking turn without a hand signal.

PS not all roads have crossings, what do you do then?

The main benefit is not on main roads and the likes, but in housing estates for example. It's uneconomic, and stupid, to have lights and pedestrian crossings all over a housing estate.

Yes I know, that and its true but it still doesn't deal with personal responsibility.

The road in a housing estate is the same as a road anywhere else, it was built for the sole purpose of traffic to use it so it really shouldn't be a surprise when traffic does use it. Many people seem to be astonished when they step onto a road only to find a vehicle is approaching them.

We have allowed a culture whereby pedestrians tend to think they have first rights and everybody should make allowances for them.

This, I think, needs to change. Whilst of course it would have the biggest impact in the city centres, it would, hopefully, also lead to increased appreciation across society that roads, by nature of traffic, can be a dangerous place and should be treated as such

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I don't think its wrongheaded at all. It is trying to create a nicer city environment in which to work, live, and be - not just drive through. The more city centre that is pedestrianised and traffic calmed and reduced the better.
    When cycling slower cars will slow me down too but it seems worth it to have a nicer town experience when strolling around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would you like to share your route and we test you by suprise some wet morning?

In Ireland limits don't change with the weather, but one does adjust to the conditions so on a wet morning cyclist do/should adjust their speed downwards

Advertisement