Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose under attack

Options
  • 24-08-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Howdy, something seems to be eating or burning holes in the leaves of my rose bush. Anybody have an idea what it could be and if possible, a solution to the problem. Thanks, I have attached a picture. There is another rose bush nearby but it seems to be unaffected. I had greenfly earlier on but managed to get rid of them.Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I thought this was a dramatic news story from the Rose of Tralee! My mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Could it be water drops in sunshine acting as lenses and burning holes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's simple sawfly damage.

I don't spray and just let the birds deal with the larvae. Clean away debris and grass from beneath the bush for a start. The larvae are little caterpillars that you can remove by hand if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hi, thanks for the quick responses. I don't think it is sawfly as I have looked at the leaves over and underneath and can find nothing there. I am wondering if it is some kind of fungus or infestation that is doing it. If you look at the photo you can see brown and black spots around the holes which leads me to think it is some kind of disease.

Advertisement