Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chess tuition needed for 10 yr old Dublin 15

• 24-08-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can anyone recommend a chess tutor for my son. He has been playing chess for a while now but needs tuition to advance further. We live in Castleknock. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Hi JarJar,

Blanchardstown have a thriving junior chess club. If your son is not yet a member I would recommend that he joins.

http://blanchardstownchess.com/

As far as lessons goes, I would recommend Alex Lopez. He is an International Master who is currently ranked no 4 in Ireland. He is living in Cork so the lessons would take place via skype. Not sure if that suits but you can contact him via email if you are interested. He is a friend of mine and a extremely good chess teacher.

astanehchess@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

checknraise is not kidding about Blanchardstown. It's a fairly new club, but they've been very successful. The club is, as far as I know, entirely youth-focussed, and is run largely by parents.

I believe David Fitzsimons gives lessons. He's a FIDE Master, living in Dublin, and has coached Irish youth teams. I think his dad, Pat, has also coached young players at Elm Mount. They can be reached at mastergame100@hotmail.com

Another active Dublin-based coach is Alexander Baburin, a Russian grandmaster who has a network of coaches in schools. ababurin@iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JarJar1

Many thanks for your replies, I have looked into Blanchardstown, however they meet in a Saturday and we are already booked up on Saturdays. I will contact the people you have recommended. I think due to my child's age I am not sure Skype will work but might look into that. Kind regards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

What evenings suit you?

Round Tower meet in Clondalkin. They're a fairly small club (no harm in that of course), though their junior section is on Saturday afternoons. The main club is on Wednesdays.

Celbridge meet on Tuesdays; not sure if they have a junior section.

Inchicore meet on Thursdays, though I don't think they have a particular junior section.

St Benildus meet on Wednesdays - we generally cater for secondary school ages (because we're linked with the secondary school), but we have had (and currently do have) players in the 9-12 age group. We're just off the M50, so mightn't be too bad a trek.

Rathmines Juniors meet on Mondays and Wednesdays - though maybe a bit more of a trek as you've to go in through town a little bit. They'd have a younger age profile than Benildus.

Naomh Barróg could be another option, in Kilbarrack. Junior night is Mondays.

All look like they'd be about 20/25 minutes away from you. A junior chess club is a great way of learning the game; there'll be people there to help coach, but also just playing against other players of varying strengths is often the easiest way to learn (and make new friends!)

There's a map of most of the clubs on the Irish Chess Union website here, and there's a list of the main junior-orientated clubs here.

Can't add much more to the coaches mentioned above; all good options. Though individual coaching sessions will of course be more expensive than joining a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Hi JarJar,

Blanchardstown have a thriving junior chess club. If your son is not yet a member I would recommend that he joins.

http://blanchardstownchess.com/

As far as lessons goes, I would recommend Alex Lopez. He is an International Master who is currently ranked no 4 in Ireland. He is living in Cork so the lessons would take place via skype. Not sure if that suits but you can contact him via email if you are interested. He is a friend of mine and a extremely good chess teacher.

astanehchess@gmail.com

Maybe John Delaney is your man, based at the Blanchardstown club. He's a FIDE Master, largely responsible for getting them promoted to the top division of the Leinster leagues.
    Skype tuition might suit an adult but surely face-to-face is better for a child?

• Advertisement
Advertisement