Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IAA Systems Monitoring & Control Engineers

Options
  • 24-08-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I have applied for the Systems monitoring and control engineer role with the Irish Aviation Authority, looks like a very good position. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the job, I know it is a shift roster but does anyone know what the roster is like, also what is the % shift allowance and finally the pay scales which were advertised are as follows (€34,765, €40,185, €45,601, €48,312, €52,033, €56,438, €59,145, €61,855, €64,570, €66,259. This is an all-inclusive salary scale). What does an all inclusive salary mean and what salary could you expect to get based on these figures coming with several years experience in an operation & maintenance role?

Thanks

Rover
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I took from that all inclusive was your salary for everything, no out of hours payment, no shift allowance, that's all you will get on that bracket....

depending on the shift pattern, it may or may not be an OK wage for the mid to upper wage brackets...

36K though is a bit of a joke, go in as a grad into a telecoms company and you would get 40k + for a similar role (NOC)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 moveoverrover

Yes if that is the case it is pretty rubbish considering you must work a 24/365 roster. Even at the upper level you could expect to earn more in the private sector. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

arccosh wrote: »
    I took from that all inclusive was your salary for everything, no out of hours payment, no shift allowance, that's all you will get on that bracket....

depending on the shift pattern, it may or may not be an OK wage for the mid to upper wage brackets...

36K though is a bit of a joke, go in as a grad into a telecoms company and you would get 40k + for a similar role (NOC)

I highly doubt a novice engineer in any industry gets 40+k on their first year. Don't know about telecoms but in software engineering 36k would be a very decent first salary for someone who's just starting up. That person is essentially the slowest and weakest link in the team and will slow everyone down. When companies take on these youngsters they do so as an investment and they hope to keep them by incrementing their salary on regular basis as their experience and value start to add up. There's absolutely no reason to start off with a 40+k salary as that person will be gone to middle east in just 3 years time and all that time spent by more experienced engineers to bring them up to speed will go to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

These pay scales are typical of a public sector body. New entrants always start at the bottom, but some organisations may be able to start at a point higher if the particular candidate possesses additional desirable skills or experience. I'm sure the IAA will clarify what their rules are regarding starting pay on appointment. The last two points on the scale may also be long service increments, in which case, each will only become payable following 5 years staisfactory service at the point immediately previous.

martinsvi wrote: »

I highly doubt a novice engineer in any industry gets 40+k on their first year. Don't know about telecoms but in software engineering 36k would be a very decent first salary for someone who's just starting up. That person is essentially the slowest and weakest link in the team and will slow everyone down. When companies take on these youngsters they do so as an investment and they hope to keep them by incrementing their salary on regular basis as their experience and value start to add up. There's absolutely no reason to start off with a 40+k salary as that person will be gone to middle east in just 3 years time and all that time spent by more experienced engineers to bring them up to speed will go to waste

different sectors, different companies, different wages....

as I said similar role, I.e. SMC/NMC/NOC, and in those companies you get shift allowance and late night payments...

Yes the basic would be 30-35K, but with shift allowance and night payments, they were over 40K and yes that was in the first year of employment after college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Curious, what are
    . SMC/NMC/NOC,
    ?

Systems management control
    Network management control
    Network operations centre

Basically the nerve centre of an operational setup, which is manned 24/7

also, to martinsivi

It's the lack of shift allowance that would annoy me, 36K basic is good, and even if you had a crap shift allowance of say 10% (some are 15-20%) you're already in 40K territory, but all inclusive .... as I said, all inclusive in the mid to high brackets isn't too bad, but it would depend on the shift pattern also....

bearing in mind, general operatives in places like Amgen, even at the lower end would be on 40K+ for working shift

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mcgjohn

Has anybody who has applied for this vacancy heard anything regarding their application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ConnorCarey91

Hi mcgjohn,

I got an email about an interview in November. Did anyone else hear anything? I'd be interested in knowing more about what the job entails if you could shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mochara17

I would also be interested in some more information on this role if anyone can help :)

What IAA are like to work for, What a typical day entails, Working hours, shift allowance, opportunities to progress and so on

Any info greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know any more on these roles? typical day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone? :)
    It would seem not. Suggest you make contact with the IAA, as there's clearly no one here prepared to comment who is working in that area.

Old Zombie thread now closed

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement