Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Phone sockets in house

Options
  • 24-08-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently moved into a new home, a refurbished 20yr old house.

I was shopping around for broadband quotes and Vodafone, Sky and Eir all checked line via address and confirmed good quality line up to 100Mbs.

Now the problem is there is no internal phone socket at all. I have looked everywhere to no avail and no cables outside as far as I can see so looks like underground cabling.

At a guess I would say the builders doing the refurbishment plastered over the socket.

The builders are not contactable currently.

Can an electrician find the cable entry point and install a new socket? If I check with my neighbors where their socket is would mine be in the same place?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Assuming you live in a two storey house, try under the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

correct, looked there and even took out fridge, washing machine etc. to check behind them.

no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Hi folks,

I recently moved into a new home, a refurbished 20yr old house.

I was shopping around for broadband quotes and Vodafone, Sky and Eir all checked line via address and confirmed good quality line up to 100Mbs.

Now the problem is there is no internal phone socket at all. I have looked everywhere to no avail and no cables outside as far as I can see so looks like underground cabling.

At a guess I would say the builders doing the refurbishment plastered over the socket.

The builders are not contactable currently.

Can an electrician find the cable entry point and install a new socket? If I check with my neighbors where their socket is would mine be in the same place?

Thanks

Check with your neighbors assuming you're in an estate your point of entry for the copper line should be at the same location.

The existing point was probably removed during the renovation. Once a technican can verify where the line is they should wire up a socket for you. However if you want to have your point in another room you'll need to get someone to do that for you. Doesn't have to be an electrician but they could do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you checked based on address, then the checker will always say 100Mbps because you might be close to the cab, but you could also be out of range and get nothing.

If you can get the phone number of a close neighbour's house and fire it in here, it should give you an estimation of what speed you might just get if you re-activate the line.

Thanks will cross that bridge when I come to it.

My reason for mentioning the line test was surely that indicates there is a phone line to the house and it's just my internal wiring that's the missing link.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    If you checked based on address, then the checker will always say 100Mbps because you might be close to the cab, but you could also be out of range and get nothing.

If you can get the phone number of a close neighbour's house and fire it in here, it should give you an estimation of what speed you might just get if you re-activate the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Giving your address to sales just means and ARD lookup, doesn't mean there was a line. All it says is OpenEir provisioning think it'll work.

Lots of the time if the house faces the road the MDP is to the left or right of the front door fed UG out to the drive. Failing that the master bedroom window is number two. Its possible if the works were significant it now only gets to the floor and no further, impossible to find.

NB: Reasonable effort limits were dropped from 7000 to €1000 so if the install becomes a big job you won't get a line.

Worst case you'll need to duct your drive up to the house + etu then call them for install.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

ED E wrote: »
    Giving your address to sales just means and ARD lookup, doesn't mean there was a line. All it says is OpenEir provisioning think it'll work.

Lots of the time if the house faces the road the MDP is to the left or right of the front door fed UG out to the drive. Failing that the master bedroom window is number two. Its possible if the works were significant it now only gets to the floor and no further, impossible to find.

NB: Reasonable effort limits were dropped from 7000 to €1000 so if the install becomes a big job you won't get a line.

Worst case you'll need to duct your drive up to the house + etu then call them for install.

Advertisement