Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiding reg in For Sale adverts

• 24-08-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on this?

I was interested in a vehicle and the owner has hidden the reg. So for me to go see it, it would be a 5 hour round trip, plus I would need to VRT the motor.

It looks very clean in the ad, however the reg is hidden.

I contacted the seller, asked a few questions and then asked if they could share the reg.

They refused.

What would your thoughts be on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Why would be not allow you to perform checks. With the reg you can find anomalies. I would walk away.

Can you link to the ad?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy another car?

I can understand why people would hide the reg. in ads (possibility of scams) but if I was really interested in a car I'd tell the seller I wanted to run a data check and ask for the reg.

If they refused I'd look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Its not a car, but a horse van.

My instinct is to walk away anyway. Well run!

I did explain that I wanted to run checks before I go near it as I am coming from so far away and they refused.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the seller was honest then they would have no problem with you doing a check (which would cost money and show that you're seriously interested).
    By not giving you the reg, they are telling you that they're hiding something!

Thanks guys that was my take on it (till someone suggested I was wrong to ask)

I do deffo feel they are hiding something.

I was just looking for reassurance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hate when Car dealers do this and put their Garage plate on cars, are they hiding something also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some people are naive and when they see a car, at a reasonable price, they rush into buying it, not thinking twice why the registration is covered. Not everyone out there would be motor savvy, and wouldn't question a car at all. They would kick the tyres, and check if their is an NCT. It's not that they are ignorant to the fact, just that they wouldn't know a hell of a lot about cars.

For instance, I know nothing about boats, and as long as it's floating and the price is right, I'm a happy camper. P.S. I'm not currently in the market for a boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Covering the reg is stupid, i never did, never got it. It's tin foil hat stuff.

If i was interested in a car with a reg covered i'd ask politely for the reg if they refused i'd laugh and walk away. If they are that stupid god knows what else they've done to the car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/horseboxes-for-sale/3-5t-horse-lorry/13182259?campaign=3

Theres the link to the ad I was referring to.

Normally I wouldn't contact someone if they hide the reg, but because these yokes are so rare I thought I would take a punt.

To be fair these type vehicles are not really worth it as I'd more than likely exceed the 3.5 tonne very easily anyway. Just thought as it looked ok I might give it a go.

Pushed the seller again on the reg and got an absolutely not response so happily walking away with my money in my purse. TBH with VRT and whatever else to be included such as the cert of conformity and extras its working out very expensive anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Never understood this either. What are they trying to hide? If someone really wants to scam you / clone your reg, all they need to do is look out the window and find another similar Passat/A4/Focus/Golf in the carpark. They don't need to login to doneDeal to do that...

• Advertisement

That's the thing, I did wonder what they are trying to hide...

Whatever about not putting the reg in the ad, but when contacted by a very interested potential buyer to refuse to share it makes me wonder.

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be extremely careful buying in Ireland with vehicles not on Irish plates.

90% of the time there is something not right.

Clocking is major and easily checked now using mot check UK and costs nothing it's a government site and you input make and UK reg.

Op run a mile have nothing to do with it.

If you read the ad, the vehicle is in Northern Ireland, which is in the UK hence the UK reg.

Id never buy a uk reg in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Nearly every dodgy looking ad I come across on Donedeal lately is from Co. Down. What's going on up there?

Just to be clear here, I'm not saying there is anything dodgy about the above advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd keep looking. They may have many reasons to hide reg but since it makes your effort harder, just keep looking.

I was more just wondering was this Reg Hiding a "thing"

I've worked in the car industry and find it odd myself...

Kamili wrote: »
    I was more just wondering was this Reg Hiding a "thing"

I've worked in the car industry and find it odd myself...

Some do it as to make it harder to clone car as it's easy to do a search find exact model and colour and just slap reg on and start doing fuel drive offs and tolls etc.

Some do it as to make it harder to clone car as it's easy to do a search find exact model and colour and just slap reg on and start doing fuel drive offs and tolls etc.

I can understand that on an advert but not when asked privately

Kamili wrote: »
    I can understand that on an advert but not when asked privately

That would suggest someone has a secret they want to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Either the seller is overly paranoid or a numpty.

I can understand perfectly sellers not wanting to show their reg plates on an advert to avoid potential cloning but if someone inquires about the car and asks for the reg to do a check then they should have no problem giving it to a potential buyer. If they are still paranoid about giving a stranger the registration beyond that then why are they selling a vehicle privately via a public advert at all then?

Advertisement