Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass purposely thrown on bike paths

Options
  • 24-08-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

I've spotted a notable rise in glass being thrown directly onto bike paths that run adjacent to pedestrian paths leaving the pedestrian path untouched.

3 sections of my daily commute in Dublin have this now and spaced far apart that it wouldn't be the same lads doing it.

It's clearly purposely laid out across the width of the path. Is this a new fashionable trend among scummers this summer? Never noticed it this bad before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've noticed it before. Haven't noticed a rise in it lately though.

It's exacerbated by there being no cleaning regime for cycle tracks. And they tend not to be "swept" by car tyres either, especially the ones on the footpath, so the glass hangs around forever. In fact, the on-road cycle tracks gradually gather much of the broken glass from the main traffic lane, as car tyres push the glass towards the road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Can't say i've noticed any malicious glass planting trend or anything. I do take care after a bank holiday or an event like paddies day because there tends to be glass all over the place! The odd time some of the bike lanes that go through the drinking spots (e.g. fairview park) might have glass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Are you sure its not just people dropping glasses or bottles as opposed to someone doing it intentionally. Seems unlikely you'd see it 3 times on the same route but far enough apart that's it's not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Noticed loads this morning on the N11 usually down to broken bus stops. Any reason why they don't use Perspex or cling film type stuff to hold the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

ted1 wrote: »
    Noticed loads this morning on the N11 usually down to broken bus stops. Any reason why they don't use Perspex or cling film type stuff to hold the glass?

I've also noticed a lot more on the N11 cycle path recently too! Spent 30 minutes extracting slivers of glass out of my tyres on Monday night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I started a new job in March. New commute takes me down Brewery road from the N11. Just at the bus stop was a pile of glass, the remains of a bottle.

Roll forward 6 months...

The glass is still there, it's been dispersed slightly, but not cleaned or swept away.

And people wonder why cyclists avoid cycle lanes! The glass on the road tends to have a much shorter lifespan.

I really wanted to take a snap of it every day, then turn it into a viral youtube sensation. Alas, I'll have to find another bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I started a new job in March. New commute takes me down Brewery road from the N11. Just at the bus stop was a pile of glass, the remains of a bottle.

Roll forward 6 months...

The glass is still there, it's been dispersed slightly, but not cleaned or swept away.

And people wonder why cyclists avoid cycle lanes! The glass on the road tends to have a much shorter lifespan.

I really wanted to take a snap of it every day, then turn it into a viral youtube sensation. Alas, I'll have to find another bottle.

You could team up with TCD and do it - https://www.tcd.ie/Physics/news-events/news/pitchtardrop/ :D

Roll forward 6 months...

There's a broken car mirror in the bike lane heading south about 100m after the whites cross junction that has been there for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Roll forward 6 months...

If you wanted to take a snap of it, why couldn't you clean it up? I know its not your job but its your cycle path

There's a broken car mirror in the bike lane heading south about 100m after the whites cross junction that has been there for months.

Again why not do something about and clean it up, if its there that long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dbagman wrote: »
    Are you sure its not just people dropping glasses or bottles as opposed to someone doing it intentionally.
    Last autumn on the N11 between foxrock and whites cross, there was quite often placed briars/ blackberry thorns. I don't believe they just happened to be there (I did move them a few times, and the next morning they were back!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Camden Street! Part of the nightly celebration seems to be the Russian custom of smashing the glass after drinking, judging by the cycle lanes every morning.

Again why not do something about and clean it up, if its there that long?

Because it's just after the apex of a hill. ;)

If you wanted to take a snap of it, why couldn't you clean it up? I know its not your job but its your cycle path

It's very dispersed over a km or more you'd need a few brushes , safety gloves etc, not something cyclists generally carry on them.

yeah, every cyclist should carry a dustpan, brush and bag to carry broken glass in :rolleyes:

How about whoever broke the bottle clean it up? I know it's not their job, but it's their bottle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Here's a snapshot of a section coming up to Samuel Beckett bridge that suddenly filled up with broken glass a few days ago (where arrow pointing). A lot of it seems to have gone now, evidently travelling around the city via tyre.

It's an example... not a trace of glass on the adjoining kerbs, but it was practically the full width of the bike lane.

Seen this kind of thing on the open bike lanes too with no kerbs (neatly stops at the edge where the pedestrian lane meets)

395201.jpg

Jawgap wrote: »
    yeah, every cyclist should carry a dustpan, brush and bag to carry broken glass in :rolleyes:

How about whoever broke the bottle clean it up? I know it's not their job, but it's their bottle ;)

I aint saying every cyclist should carry a dustpan around. But if it was my bike and constantly going near it for 6 months, i wouldn't sit on my arse and do not about it.
    Then again you have the people that do things, and the people that rather moan about it and take no action.

As for the people that broke bottle there, they obviously don't give a crap about cyclists and are probably not nice people.

It's very dispersed over a km or more you'd need a few brushes , safety gloves etc, not something cyclists generally carry on them.

I was just talking about where people said it was there for 4 months or more. Surely some morning a cyclist could clean it up rather than constantly getting punctures etc.

I aint saying every cyclist should carry a dustpan around. But if it was my bike and constantly going near it for 6 months, i wouldn't sit on my arse and do not about it.
    Then again you have the people that do things, and the people that rather moan about it and take no action.

As for the people that broke bottle there, they obviously don't give a crap about cyclists and are probably not nice people.

Fair enough.

I'd just swerve around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I'd just swerve around it.

http://fixmystreet.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I was just talking about where people said it was there for 4 months or more. Surely some morning a cyclist could clean it up rather than constantly getting punctures etc.

No, it's not up to the general public to clean these up, that's what the council is for.

Anyway this thread isn't about "how to deal with the glass" (obviously you have to swerve around it) it's about a noticeable trend for this in past few months, so was curious if anyone heard on the scumbag-grapevine* that this is the cool thing to do now?

*(assuming you are fluent in scumbag)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Because I don't want to cut myself on a piece of glass that has been sitting out in a public space for months.

It's not about whether it's my job or not.

I'd prefer to moan about it rather than risk cutting myself and contracting weil's disease or something equally nasty, however unlikely.

Of course, I could just moan about people moaning about things, which is more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

buffalo wrote: »

+1

I use it for this type of stuff and I've found that SDCC are usually fairly prompt at getting to things once they're highlighted - next day or two.

Our results are not the same. I reported the same graffiti and unsafe surfaces in the same streets multiple times, and no action was ever taken.

Because I don't want to cut myself on a piece of glass that has been sitting out in a public space for months.

It's not about whether it's my job or not.

I'd prefer to moan about it rather than risk cutting myself and contracting weil's disease or something equally nasty, however unlikely.

Of course, I could just moan about people moaning about things, which is more fun.

Using a brush and dust pan, you won't handle the glass.

But notify the council, sdcc are pretty good at handling this stuff.

I pick up broken glasses and bigger bits often enough and ditch them in the nearest litter bin, if it's near enough. Lots of people do. But when there's a whole cyclepath full of fragments, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Our results are not the same. I reported the same graffiti and unsafe surfaces in the same streets multiple times, and no action was ever taken.

You could try http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Because the little arseholes set those on fire !

That's what I used to report the graffiti and bad surfaces. I gave up after a few reports with no result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Roll forward 6 months...

Could you not just do a good deed and clean it up?

Advertisement