Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass purposely thrown on bike paths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I aint saying every cyclist should carry a dustpan around. But if it was my bike and constantly going near it for 6 months, i wouldn't sit on my arse and do not about it. Then again you have the people that do things, and the people that rather moan about it and take no action.

I can't believe people would stop their bike every day for 6 months to take a picture. I cleaned up dog crap on the path outside my house last week. Should of just left it cos it wasn't my job, it's the council's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    I can't believe people would stop their bike every day for 6 months to take a picture. I cleaned up dog crap on the path outside my house last week. Should of just left it cos it wasn't my job, it's the council's.

I've swept up glass near my house before, there's some new glass there since this morning, I'll be out sweeping when I get home. But there's a difference when it's on your doorstep vs 10km away and mid commute. Fupp that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I like this new sense of civic responsibility seeping through the forum. Tonight on my commute, I'm going to shoot some stray dogs. Why should I expect someone else to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Why should I expect someone else to do it?

Latest trend in road bikes for 2017?

bosnia-sarajevo-bicycle-street-cleaner-using-a-brush-and-bin-on-the-bg84y6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I like this new sense of civic responsibility seeping through the forum. Tonight on my commute, I'm going to shoot some stray dogs. Why should I expect someone else to do it?

Two legged or Four?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Roll forward 6 months...

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    The glass is still there, it's been dispersed slightly, but not cleaned or swept away.

I used fixmystreet to report glass on my commute and SDC replied that they would clean it. The next day I met them on my commute out cleaning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

buffalo wrote: »

I've used that. Meath County Council respond very promptly.....they turn potholes into pothumps within 48 hours and then come back six months later when the potholes return and you report them again! Very efficient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You are Richard Ballantine, and I claim my cash prize.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74538649&postcount=10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ShadyAcres wrote: »

Who needs to stop their bike to take a photo?

Also, if I cleaned it up, I wouldn't be making a point with my artistic collage.

And no, I'm not going to stop and pick up all the debris that litters my commute.

I have reported it on Fixmystreet though, at least that was a useful suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

By the way, people were talking on some thread about tyre glue - did anyone recommend one? I saw another thread talking about E-6000, will this repair little gashes in tyres?

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    By the way, people were talking on some thread about tyre glue - did anyone recommend one? I saw another thread talking about E-6000, will this repair little gashes in tyres?

I spotted something like that in Lidl today. Maybe worth a look?

This: http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=43908

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's what I used to report the graffiti and bad surfaces. I gave up after a few reports with no result.

Which Co.Co?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jaysus can we get the thread title changed. There's no one deliberately throwing glass on the bike lanes. This title is just giving people ideas.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Jaysus can we get the thread title changed. There's no one deliberately

of course they are.. I'll post up more pics if you like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Go on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I used fixmystreet to report glass on my commute and SDC replied that they would clean it. The next day I met them on my commute out cleaning it.

I've found SDCC to be far better than DCC (next in merit order) and DLRCC (bottom on the list of shame) for addressing such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've found SDCC to be far better than DCC (next in merit order) and DLRCC (bottom on the list of shame) for addressing such issues.

I'd agree with this. I have used fixmystreet before, the ramps by the coombe were resurfaced with proper tarmac ones after some successful posting.

DLRCC never seem to respond to even minor notices.

It disappoints and saddens me that the only time I have seen major changes have been through accidents: the tragic one in Blackrock when that young woman was killed and the cycle lane after the Blackrock clinic (northbound) was repaired shortly after I saw a cyclist being tended to at the scene of an accident there.

It might be good for those on Twitter to post photos of psychopath cycle paths - covered in glass, seamed, parked-in, debouching into turning traffic, crossing driveways, etc - with a special tag, and also tag in political accounts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was told that the feed from fixyourstreet.ie into DCC (at least to customer services, who despatch them) is sporadic. maybe just better ringing them?
    222 2222 is the number for DCC customer services (which is coincidentally the number from de la soul's 'ring ring ring (hey how ya doin')').

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

mrcheez wrote: »
    Latest trend in road bikes for 2017?

bosnia-sarajevo-bicycle-street-cleaner-using-a-brush-and-bin-on-the-bg84y6.jpg

I actually have a solution for all these problems.

I duct taped a broom to my front handle bars today and it rubbed the surface of the road clear in front of my front tyre as I peddled along.

Didn't get a puncture so it's safe to say this method is 100% reliable. An elegant solution to a complex problem.

• Advertisement

There did use to be a device you could attach to your fork and it would lightly brush your tyre as you cycled. Intended to remove glass before it embedded, I guess. Mentioned in Richard's Bicycle Book. Nothing about brushing the road as you go along though. You're a pioneer!

i was told that the feed from fixyourstreet.ie into DCC (at least to customer services, who despatch them) is sporadic. maybe just better ringing them?
    222 2222 is the number for DCC customer services (which is coincidentally the number from de la soul's 'ring ring ring (hey how ya doin')').

The road I'm most exercised about is Leinster Road, from Rathmines Road to Harold's Cross Road. I suspect that they don't bother to mend it because it's fine for fat car wheels, but there are seams that are deadly for bike wheels (and bicyclists' wrists). Perhaps it will take a cyclist coming off and breaking an elbow and suing before they'll do something about the surface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The road I'm most exercised about is Leinster Road, from Rathmines Road to Harold's Cross Road. I suspect that they don't bother to mend it because it's fine for fat car wheels, but there are seams that are deadly for bike wheels (and bicyclists' wrists). Perhaps it will take a cyclist coming off and breaking an elbow and suing before they'll do something about the surface.
    I've reported similar seams on Charleston Road, where I got (literally) caught in a rut, and thought I was coming off. There are similar ones on Anglesea Road as you approach the roundabout at Donnybrook Church, but I didn't bother reporting these when they did nothing about Charleston Road.
    I normally get the 'we have referred this matter to the Roads Dept' on fixyourstreet, so the issue has been delivered, but follow-up is sporadic. They have filled some potholes roughly, mind you, sometimes very quickly, within a day or two - other issues get ignored. Might be down to the area supervisor or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Here's a snapshot of a section coming up to Samuel Beckett bridge that suddenly filled up with broken glass a few days ago (where arrow pointing). A lot of it seems to have gone now, evidently travelling around the city via tyre.

It's an example... not a trace of glass on the adjoining kerbs, but it was practically the full width of the bike lane.

Seen this kind of thing on the open bike lanes too with no kerbs (neatly stops at the edge where the pedestrian lane meets)

395201.jpg
    I think you're assuming malice here for no real reason.

The foot path is clean because they get cleaned by the council and/or businesses.

A street sweeper isn't going to be able to get in there and the guy wouldn't have been bothered getting out to sweet it by hand.

Glass ends up in cycle lanes because people are eejits, and it stays there because it takes a little bit too much effort for the council to clean it properly (often not helped by lane design)

Good enough? No - but not a conspiracy against cyclists.

I think people do occasionally smash bottle and glasses deliberately in cycle tracks. The roadside ones, it might be a coincidence, but there are cycle tracks on wide footpaths, and only the cycle track has the freshly broken glass on it, and it's not that near a pub.

But it is occasional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not that i'm the sort of person who goes around deliberately smashing bottles in public places, but i would guess that there's a difference between 'deliberately smashing a bottle', and it being in a cycle lane, and 'deliberately choosing a cycle lane to smash a bottle in'.
    maybe i'm being naive in assuming that the former was the more likely scenario.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    there are cycle tracks on wide footpaths, and only the cycle track has the freshly broken glass on it, and it's not that near a pub.

Councils well clean the footpaths, but do they clean the cycle lanes?

It wouldn't be helped by that red tar stuff they use for cycle lanes (a personal hatred of mine). It's quite rough and holds onto debris, even more so when it inevitably starts to come apart.

People drink anywhere and everywhere. Muppets smash bottles, not for any reason...they're just Muppets.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Good enough? No - but not a conspiracy against cyclists.

Not really. When the lane was full of glass it was clearly deliberately put at that pinch-point. I cycled through there one day it was clear, the next day it was full of glass, not a trace on the pedestrian path. It was quite skillfully done ;)

Similar on other sections of my route, glass liberally smashed across the cycle path and not a single shard on the adjoining pedestrian path.

Samuel Becket bridge and bike lanes around get their fair share of glass shards which seem to be smashed on the bike lane, but obviously make their way over to the pedestrian path.

Pedestrians don't kick glass out of their path especially when they are minute shards so the concentration of glass on the cyclist side of these types of lanes can only lead to one conclusion that the cycle lanes are used as a scumbag glass bank.

glass liberally smashed across the cycle path and not a single shard on the adjoining pedestrian path.

The footpaths in the City get swept by the council very regularly - of course there isn't glass on them.

The cycle lanes not so much. Any kind of awkward spot - never.

I really think you're ignoring the likely answers here. "People aren't trying to make your life hard, they're trying to make their lives easy".

(Ps. You can even tell from that photo that the short stretch between the curbs doesn't get cleaned because it's the only bit of the road with weeds on it. )

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    The footpaths in the City get swept by the council very regularly - of course there isn't glass on them.

The cycle lanes not so much. Any kind of awkward spot - never.

I really think you're ignoring the likely answers here. "People aren't trying to make your life hard, they're trying to make their lives easy".

I think you're missing the point. This section of path was clear at 7pm, the following day at 8am it was full of glass.

Same at other sections of my route, particularly out along Clontarf coming to Eastpoint where the sweepers *do* sweep both bike and pedestrian lanes.

There were no sweepers dispatched between those hours but glass was clearly on the bike lane and not pedestrian lane.

Regardless, my point is that there is a sudden upsurge in this that I've noticed around the city. I hadn't noticed glass on bike lanes in such frequency before.

Advertisement