Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass purposely thrown on bike paths

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It's also that Irish people nowadays feel that our responsibility stops at our gate. In th'oul days, people went out with yard brushes and swept the pavement and the roadside outside their houses. Mind you, part of the reason they don't now is that the roads are generally used as storage spaces for other people's private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's not anyone dumping glass and debris to annoy cyclists, rather just rushed maintenance and sweeping.

Ah yes, perfectly normal for people to walk along with a box of thumb-tacks, inadvertently dropping them.

Sure everyone does it. Not intentional at all.

I personally can't head out for lunch without my trusty box o' thumb-tacks on hand.. just in case I have some posters to stick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ah yes, perfectly normal for people to walk along with a box of thumb-tacks, inadvertently dropping them.

Sure everyone does it. Not intentional at all.

I personally can't head out for lunch without my trusty box o' thumb-tacks on hand.. just in case I have some posters to stick up.

Are you serious?

Nails are way better for posters, especially in winter conditions. Time to upgrade my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

V-man wrote: »
    Seville place.
    But the result was a nice walk along the grand canal :)

This Seville Place, across the Liffey?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Seville+Pl,+North+Dock,+Dublin/@53.3523672,-6.2457253,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670e8b427e8515:0x331ad81f7f4c8344!8m2!3d53.3523672!4d-6.2435366

It's a good long walk to the Grand Canal from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

RainyDay wrote: »

Schwalbe Marathon so it was a slow puncture and made it to the Docklands.
    Ironically the bike was a replacement from the shop, my own has Marathon Plus which have been faultless over 8000Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

V-man wrote: »
    Schwalbe Marathon so it was a slow puncture and made it to the Docklands.
    Ironically the bike was a replacement from the shop, my own has Marathon Plus which have been faultless over 8000Km

Sorry, I'm confused now. Did you get the puncture around the canal and walked to the docks? If so, were you on the stretch of the canal cycle way from Charlemont to Baggot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RainyDay wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm confused now. Did you get the puncture around the canal and walked to the docks? If so, were you on the stretch of the canal cycle way from Charlemont to Baggot?

I think you're talking different canals. Seville Place is on the northside, by the Royal Canal, not on the southside by the Grand Canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just started cycling to work a couple of weeks ago, and got my first puncture yesterday evening, in the rain when I wouldn't have been able to see glass on the path. :/ Definitely seen lots of places where glass has been left in the cycle lane, and not due to road sweeping, as it happens in places without a road alongside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Star Lord wrote: »
    Just started cycling to work a couple of weeks ago, and got my first puncture yesterday evening, in the rain when I wouldn't have been able to see glass on the path. :/ Definitely seen lots of places where glass has been left in the cycle lane, and not due to road sweeping, as it happens in places without a road alongside too.

Investing in proper tyres like Schwalbe Marathon Plus or solid Tannus tyres is worth it.
    Especially when commuting (not that I enjoy punctures on leisure rides).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The bike came with Schwalbe Spicer tyres on it. Walked the bike to the bike shop after work yesterday, to have them check the tyre, they said it was a problem with the tube, and they fixed/replaced it free of charge, so was alright in the end!

Advertisement