Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN Beats Solo2 Headphones with Electric Ireland! #ThrowbackParty

Options
  • 24-08-2016 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Electric Ireland is the official Energy Partner for Electric Picnic 2016!

Boards_Cover.jpg

This year we’re all about #ThrowbackParty, and to get everyone in the mood, we are currently running a Facebook Live competition, on our Electric Ireland Facebook page, at 7:30pm every evening this week until Friday 26th August. There, you have the chance of winning tickets to Electric Picnic by taking part in our #ThrowbackParty live gameshows! Be sure to tune in!

To get into the #ThrowbackParty spirit here on Boards, we’re giving away a pair of Beats Solo2 On-Ear headphones (Luxe Edition). To be in with the chance to win, just post your favourite school yard game to this thread! One post per person and be sure to explain why you loved playing this when you were at school!

The competition will run until Monday 29th August, with the winning entry being announced shortly thereafter.

***Full T&C's here***

This year as Official Energy Partner, we've helped reduce the Electric Picnic festival's lighting emissions by 80%, and we have installed six kilometres of energy-efficient lighting to help guide festival-goers!

All the best :)
    The Electric Ireland Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

BULLDOG - nothing ever beat a game of Bulldog with most of the year playing.... carnage was a given, ripped trousers were also a telltale sign but getting it in the neck from my mum for the latter was never great... ahh the days gone

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Red rover was always a good laugh!

Loved trying to break the other teams link, always gotta suss out who the weakest were and just run full belt at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Tip the Can. Hours of fun was had playing this in the huge Killiney Hill back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Tip the can was always great craic but as it was mentioned above, my 2nd favourite would have to be kerbs (having to throw a ball from one side of the street and hit the kerb on the other side) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

British Bulldogs - the panic, the mania, the skinned knees and the picking of tarmac out of your elbows. Such joy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Bulldog
    Injury -> Bulldog Banned -> Secret Bulldog -> Bulldog Ban Revoked -> Injury
    and repeat..... happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Marbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ladymary

we had a hedge along the wall with a break in it and we set up a little shop in it selling everything from bottle tops, feathers, sweet wrappers anything we could find in the yard or smuggle in from home....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Cops and robbers.

Just sense of self satisfaction being a cop and catching all your friends and putting them in jail was enough for me to be happy and remember it vividly

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Hide and seek.

I loved putting my hands over my eyes and counting to ten and shouting out "Ready or Not Here I Come" and many of my class mates rushing to find a hiding place in the yard. The only thing there was no hiding places, it was just one big, square, cement yard and we played it every day hail, rain or sunshine. Oh the joys of been child 20 years ago brings a tear to my eye #ThrowbackParty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

ing Its got to be Red Rover !!

Reason being it was  game for lads and girls and two teams and there was just something so fun about it even though it was  bit daft when you think back.

But kids don't think! I was a smart kid and I'm a smart guy now but that didn't stop me from running full pelt into the line during Red Rover and not noticing the wall less than a foot behind them!!! Massive, and I mean MASSIVE, lump on my forehead but still came 1st in class exams that year :-D :-D

Ah the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Football on the Basketball court, using jumpers for goalposts. Everyone killing each other trying to score the most goals that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sharks was the game we played

30 of us on the school pitch, there'd be boundaries marked about 50 yards apart. 2 people would be sharks and the aim was for everyone else to run to the other side without getting caught/taken down. No health and safety back in those days!

The real fun was when there were 29 sharks and just one lonely swimmer left for the last run, get to the other side and you'd go down in school history, nobody ever made it, I remember legend had it someone in a neighbouring school did it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Entonces

Link tag where your had to hold hands with whoever you caught. Led to some quality chases and near dislocted shoulders from groups pulling againt each other. Also got to hold hands wth the girl you fancied and inevitably caught first even though you were morto 
    Hi all,

Electric Ireland is the official Energy Partner for Electric Picnic 2016!

Boards_Cover.jpg

This year we’re all about #ThrowbackParty, and to get everyone in the mood, we are currently running a Facebook Live competition, on our Electric Ireland Facebook page, at 7:30pm every evening this week until Friday 26th August. There, you have the chance of winning tickets to Electric Picnic by taking part in our #ThrowbackParty live gameshows! Be sure to tune in!

To get into the #ThrowbackParty spirit here on Boards, we’re giving away a pair of Beats Solo2 On-Ear headphones (Luxe Edition). To be in with the chance to win, just post your favourite school yard game to this thread! One post per person and be sure to explain why you loved playing this when you were at school!

The competition will run until Monday 29th August, with the winning entry being announced shortly thereafter.

***Full T&C's here***

This year as Official Energy Partner, we've helped reduce the Electric Picnic festival's lighting emissions by 80%, and we have installed six kilometres of energy-efficient lighting to help guide festival-goers!

All the best :)
    The Electric Ireland Team

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Soccer during lunctime, always class against class.... the last game of the year ment absolutely everything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Taws, a game of skill and tactics!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Prison - a chasing game involving two teams of anything up to 50 kids per team. Wonderful mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Elastics! Not sure if anybody else remembers /played it tho! String together a lot of elastics, two people stand in them making a rectangle, one person in the middle "plays" which meant a series of jumping in out and onto the elastics to a rhyme. The elastics were moved higher and higher every time. Simpler times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Wall-ball, with a tennis ball because we couldn't have a full-sized football at lunch.

Such skill was picked up flying around the grounds trying to pelt a tennis ball at a wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Bull-Dog. It was banned it was so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Chasing...myself... cos I had no friends...

Ah only joking, kick the can was a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

What's the time Mr Wolf?  Because once the person who was Mr Wolf shouted "It's dinner time!" we would all run for our lives screaming, in every possible direction as fast as we could.   LOL!  Sounds silly as a grown up, but was great fun back in the day.
    #ThrowbackParty  Just imagine doing that at your school reunion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Chasing- As I loved the chase and still do today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Bulldogs for me too - Everything about this game was designed with the playground in mind. The size of the play area needed, the no-limit number of participants, the speed, the playful aggression. It was playing this game that led me to Rugby and other physical sports. No other playground game could lead to other sports like Bulldogs could. Being that last person standing gave you such a sense of accomplishment, you did not mind the rest of the school day at all!!   

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I LOVED chase, I was the Usain Bolt of the schoolyard back then. I was knocked unconscious and ended up spending the night in hospital with a concussion playing British Bulldog so, yeah, chase wins the crown of my favourite schoolyard game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Hockey was fun, whenever the equipment was brought out every now and then. Cheap plastic pucks, cheap plastic sticks, was great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wexdevil wrote: »
    Red rover was always a good laugh!

Loved trying to break the other teams link, always gotta suss out who the weakest were and just run full belt at them!
    Red Rover for me too 

Red Rover Red Rover we call Over -- loved it 

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Power Rangers - the memories!! I can remember playing it out in yard in Junior Infants, always wanting to be the fantastic Red Ranger! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Kick the can

Kick the can, kick the can. 1, 2 , 3! All the skinned knees and allways best when someone else had to go first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyCochrane

Conkers, cooking up mad professor type treatments and concoctions to try to get an edge. Experimenting with different types of varnish / baking time in the oven trying to create the indestructible version. Poisoning from the fumes optional. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement