Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Garda Campaign: November 2016 class.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Garda89

It is not that we are obsessed, it's that we are passionate about something some of us have always wanted to do. I for instance have always wanted to be a member since I was young kid and I have after many years finally been offered a place. Big difference between being obsessed and being passionate!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kerbie_0408

Garda89 wrote: »
    It is not that we are obsessed, it's that we are passionate about something some of us have always wanted to do. I for instance have always wanted to be a member since I was young kid and I have after many years finally been offered a place. Big difference between being obsessed and being passionate!
    PREACH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Garda89 wrote: »
    PREACH!!!!

Exactly a job we are passionate about and a job we all have wanted. Personally i love the treads as for the majority of us you apply for the job and the process takes the bones of a year ever before you get into college to train, not many other jobs like that, each stage is tough in it's own way and great to have ppl to chat to and with calls etc great can monitor stages and your oom.

VW73 wrote: »
    Exactly a job we are passionate about and a job we all have wanted. Personally i love the treads as for the majority of us you apply for the job and the process takes the bones of a year ever before you get into college to train, not many other jobs like that, each stage is tough in it's own way and great to have ppl to chat to and with calls etc great can monitor stages and your oom.
    Couldn't agree with you more very well said! It's been a great help to me over the last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CuriousLady

I agree. Personally I have always wanted it since I was a child also. Not many professions are as broad and versatile as the guards for example there is so much progression across the field different areas to work in e.g community policing, mounted unit, dog unit, underwater unit, public order/ emergency response, forensics etc and so much progression upwards also eg sergeant super intendent, inspector etc etc .. every day is different u are not confined to one office or area ..the variety, adrenaline, what other job has it !!

Your not just a guard, your a social worker, a peace keeper, an investigator, a role model to a lot of people, u help people in desperate times, through deaths, save lives. You are the first responce to people who call when things go wrong, and are a feeling of safety to a lot of people who depend on the guards.

I am so happy to see such a passionate campain running it means the people who only really want it will go for it, it is not an easy recruitment process by any means. We will all be thankful with a passionate police force in the years to come.

VW73 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more very well said! It's been a great help to me over the last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

Anyone with induction on the 21st receive their induction pack yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JJ500

Doyle06 wrote: »
    Anyone with induction on the 21st receive their induction pack yet?

Not yet, say it will arrive tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

I done the appitude test not Saturday gone, the Saturday before that. Just waiting to hear back with anymore dates for the next stages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Chris14

Why am I waiting so anxiously for this induction pack ����

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JJ500

Chris14 wrote: »
    Why am I waiting so anxiously for this induction pack ����
    I'm the same, the postman just left my house so it's not today...😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gem1994

Any girls on here know The dress code for the induction week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Izzyruby89

Gem1994 wrote:
    Any girls on here know The dress code for the induction week ?

Suits! Iv been trying get one for last 2 weeks. If your tall it's a challenge. Also expensive nd don't wanna pay too much cause gonna wear it for 2-3 weeks and never again :-(

Izzyruby89 wrote: »
    Suits! Iv been trying get one for last 2 weeks. If your tall it's a challenge. Also expensive nd don't wanna pay too much cause gonna wear it for 2-3 weeks and never again :-(

Oh great :( i thought only the men had to wear suits and that wed get away without one:L

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

Meeting with my sergeant tomorrow. It was delayed that's how I missed out on November. She told me casual wear. What is it like and is it anything to be worried about? Also any tips?! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmyjameson92

It's just a general chat see what kind of person you are and put a face to a name.

It's just a general chat see what kind of person you are and put a face to a name.

Thanks! Yeah she seemed very relaxed about it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Izzyruby89

Wax100 wrote:
    Meeting with my sergeant tomorrow. It was delayed that's how I missed out on November. She told me casual wear. What is it like and is it anything to be worried about? Also any tips?! Thanks.

When i met the sergeant I was there 5 mins. Jus went over my form asked about my family. That was it.

Izzyruby89 wrote: »
    When i met the sergeant I was there 5 mins. Jus went over my form asked about my family. That was it.

Thanks for the reply. What kind of questions did they ask?

Also do I need to bring anything with me? I wasn't informed on bringing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 George993

Wax100 wrote: »
    Also do I need to bring anything with me? I wasn't informed on bringing anything.
    I didn't bring anything to either of my local meetings. Literally took me into their office and had a look through my form. Asked me about college and hurling but that was more general chat than anything, I honestly think it's just to see what kind of person you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmyjameson92

Has anyone got their information pack yet for the second induction week?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AMBALLY

Can I ask what everyone is doing with regards colour of runners. My ones are purple and I've heard they're not that strict on the colour even though it says predominantly white on the welcome pack. I've asked a girl in elverys too about getting white shoes and she said white runners are hard to come by especially if you want a good quality pair. The only white pair they had were for walking and she said they wouldn't last very long if you were to wear them everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

Still no welcome pack today 😒

Anybody know for definite if it is possible to work weekends while in the college ?

Gem1994 wrote: »
    Anybody know for definite if it is possible to work weekends while in the college ?

No you can't. You can work during induction week but can't work when you officially start

• Registered Users Posts: 19 craichoor

Gem1994 wrote: »

As long as you do not work in an licensed establishment (pub / off licence etc) or a licensed trade (private security / bouncing / taxi driving / hackney driving etc.)

craichoor wrote: »
    As long as you do not work in an licensed establishment (pub / off licence etc) or a licensed trade (private security / bouncing / taxi driving / hackney driving etc.)

That's the first I've heard?? I thought they said in orientation meeting in stage 2 that you can't. Maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 28 voodosheeb

so I placed just over 1530 not sure if this is good or bad
    first time ever applying for it so not sure what to except

• Registered Users Posts: 19 craichoor

AMBALLY wrote: »
    That's the first I've heard?? I thought they said in orientation meeting in stage 2 that you can't. Maybe I'm wrong

Hmmmmm, maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm, maybe I'm wrong.

You can work during induction so it can always be answered there. Personally, I've heard its intense so id like my weekends off haha I'll make the 184 a week work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

They aren't strict on the runners so wear whatever you have. There's no problem as long as you can run, do the beep test a few more times and your push ups and sit ups.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

AMBALLY wrote: »
    Can I ask what everyone is doing with regards colour of runners. My ones are purple and I've heard they're not that strict on the colour even though it says predominantly white on the welcome pack. I've asked a girl in elverys too about getting white shoes and she said white runners are hard to come by especially if you want a good quality pair. The only white pair they had were for walking and she said they wouldn't last very long if you were to wear them everyday.

Try Amazon or eBay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Hi guys. Just a question in for those of us going forward to stage two? Are the tests the same again or will they give us something fresh? People saying that the shapes and words could be the same? Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Chris14

So what's the plan for induction week? Lads, are ye planning on bringing a few suits down with ye or just the one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

To be honest even if you could I wouldn't. You'd have enough to be doing without stressing yourself with work! Do your saving now and chill out while there. Well chill as in take a break from working life till your out in a station.

That's my plan anyway. If I get a date to start (please god in the future) ill be handing my notice in and finishing as soon as possible and chilling out till I start in the college. Been working near 10 year solid and before that it was school, I am gonna treat myself to a few weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Valuevan13

My info pack for second week induction landed this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

where is that stated? Alot of students i asked seem to doing PT work at weekends in pubs/clubs - cash.

Had my interview with sergeant this morning. She was very nice. She's going through my vetting and I should be meeting the super next week. Is there anything I should be worried about for meeting him? How it goes (etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Garda91

Had my interview with sergeant this morning. She was very nice. She's going through my vetting and I should be meeting the super next week. Is there anything I should be worried about for meeting him? How it goes (etc).

Would I be right by saying that the sergeant and superintendent vet you personally and sign you off and then it's the vetting unit that vets the rest of your family?

Garda91 wrote: »
    Would I be right by saying that the sergeant and superintendent vet you personally and sign you off and then it's the vetting unit that vets the rest of your family?

I don't know. She told me she was going to go through it this week and sign it off.

I don't know. She told me she was going to go through it this week and sign it off.

Yeah it's all very vague. As far as I know there's 2 parts to the vetting. The sergeants and supers reports after you meet with them and then when the form b comes back from the vetting unit in Thurles, so I would assume the vetting unit looks after the family vetting and the super and sergeant signs our personal vetting off.

Anyway, roll on February.

So what's expected of the super?

So what's expected of the super?

Very quick like the sergeant, but more formal. Wear a suit and look the part. For me I was with the Super 10/15mins, he asked a little about myself, read through the sergeants report and then talked through my form b. It was more a chat than an interview, at the end he just gave me some advice for going in and he said he has no problem recommending me. So to sum up, look the part and be polite and it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 luvsthespuds

Hi guys, I'm a longtime stalker of this thread and first time contributor, thank you all for keeping me sane during the recruitment process. I'm delighted to say, that after years of trying I've finally got my induction pack for the November intake.

Do any of you know what the story is with bringing up your car, can I park it onsite in the college during the week when I'm up there? The only specs in the induction pack is to ensure your car is taxed, nct'd, not pimped out etc etc... nothing about parking though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Jerrycurlz

You can park in the golf clubs car park while you are staying in the college but once they move you out you're not allowed to anymore. That's what my mate in the at the moment told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

where is that stated? Alot of students i asked seem to doing PT work at weekends in pubs/clubs - cash.

Working in any job that requires a licence which can be objected to by AGS is a prohibited spare time activity for members of AGS, eg bookies, pubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

infacteh wrote: »
    Working in any job that requires a licence which can be objected to by AGS is a prohibited spare time activity for members of AGS, eg bookies, pubs etc

I understand that would be the case once you are attested but I imagine when in college with no powers you would be free to work until being attested

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kellz1

Does anyone know if we are allowed to take a day off at all? Have a family wedding coming up on a Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I understand that would be the case once you are attested but I imagine when in college with no powers you would be free to work until being attested

College have their own rules, which you'll find mirror the real ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement